DOF question?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMD1600

Jun 8, 2004
Is DOF only available in DSLR & SLR? I'm using Olyumus C-770 don't it has DOF right? All the pics taken no depth of field... :dunno:

Is DOF only available in DSLR & SLR?
answer: no

I'm using Olyumus C-770 don't it has DOF right?
answer: no

All the pics taken no depth of field...
...if you say so!

:bsmilie:

i believe your camera has aperture priority (AV). open it to its biggest at f2.8 and shoot something close by, with the background as far away as possible. this may give the result you are looking for

Well thanks for the info... will try out what's the difference between taken on a f2.8 & f.8..

But just now i've tried before posting the thread... f2.8 gives a over all brighter image while the f8 give a must darker image in Aperture mode...

So the key words is to have a far background? & if i were to use macro mode also can produce this kinda effect right? provided i'm very close to the subject... :dunno:

AMD1600 said:
But just now i've tried before posting the thread... f2.8 gives a over all brighter image while the f8 give a must darker image in Aperture mode...

huh? the different within these two f stops suppose to give you different in ranges that is infocus... I suppose, it is either u didn't meter the subject right, or you are using Manual mode having the shuttle speed not set correctly

DOF = the depth, or range of the in-focus area

small F stop (eg, 2.8) = Large appeture = shallow Depth of Field = only a small area is in focus

large F stop(eg, 16) = small appeture = wide depth of field = the whole picture in focus?... something like that...

Google a bit more on this, you'll find tons of details.

DOF is available with any camera, DOF preview then maybe not.

long lens, shallow DOF effect (Background blur) enhanced
close focusing distance, enhanced

try out: zoom to max, get to nearest possible distance, f2.8, background in the distance. try f8 as well to see differences

So i need some time to play around with it.... & need to learn more about this...

Coz i saw many people's posting very nice only catches the main subject sharp other's(background) let it blur... so can tell what's the main point of the picture is telling...

Don't know my camera or I can do that? Thanks anyway... going to do more research... :sweat:

AMD1600 said:
So i need some time to play around with it.... & need to learn more about this...

Coz i saw many people's posting very nice only catches the main subject sharp other's(background) let it blur... so can tell what's the main point of the picture is telling...

Don't know my camera or I can do that? Thanks anyway... going to do more research... :sweat:

AMD, Can.... the results tend to be more marked when you zoom to the max.

If I'm not wrong, DOF can be affected by 2 things. First is the Aperture size. Like the others said, large aperture= more circles of confusion (is that the term?)=more isolated focus=shallower depth of field. for small aperture the results is opposite.

The other thing that affects the DOF is your lens. For e.g, if i took a portrait of someone close in using a wide fast lens, and then composed another frame with exactly the same composition & focus point, this time shooting with a tele lens from further away, the tele lens will give a much shallower DOF.

Like you said, on Av the pictures tend to be darker, so for me, normally i try to shoot manual and then use the Ev meter to gauge the exposure.

Yep. Tts what i know abt DOF :bsmilie:

AMD1600 said:

AMD, well if all else fails, you can use photoshop, layer mask then apply gaussian blur on the background layer.=)

Of course, that would be cheating + for it to look natural you would have to select your foreground very accurately :sweatsm:

Depth of field = area of photograph which is in sharp focus. It's affected by 4 things:
a) Focal length
b) Aperture
c) Size of the subject
d) Distance of camera and subject

Stopping down your aperture (eg f2.8 to f8), you gain deeper depth of field, ie more area is in sharp focus. Since you don't seem to want deeper depth of field, stick to large apertures. Going to longer focal lengths decrease depth of field. So you should stick to longer focal lengths.

Above handily regurgitated from the most excellent 'John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide'.

Well thanks guys.. Just now played ard with the MAX zoom & saw difference with f3.7 & f8... :thumbsup:

Perviously i don't see much of a DOF coz i was mostly at MAX wide angle...
So the key point is to "Zoom in" more & get as close to the subject as possible & using a lower "f.number"... :p

AMD1600 said:
Well thanks guys.. Just now played ard with the MAX zoom & saw difference with f3.7 & f8... :thumbsup:

Perviously i don't see much of a DOF coz i was mostly at MAX wide angle...
So the key point is to "Zoom in" more & get as close to the subject as possible & using a lower "f.number"... :p

apart from your understanding of the words "depth of field", you got it man!
what you're looking for is called "shallow depth of field".
anyways, remember to switch to macro mode if you get too close to the subject :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.