DOF in low light

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamdam

Deregistered
Sep 2, 2006
Tampines
Hello fellow clubsnappers,

I recently had my prom night i borrowed a 350D with 380EX flash. So I had quite alot of fun with it but I didnt realize that quite alot of my shots dint come out as nice as they should have such as this one.
shallowDOF.jpg

I believe this is a problem of small depth of field am i right? But the hall was quite dark and I used the smallest apperture value to get the most light. Am i right to say that small apperture value = shallow DOF. If so, how do you get more people in focus in low lighting?

Or did i not use the flash to proper use hehe xD

Thank you in advance! :)

Hello fellow clubsnappers,

I recently had my prom night i borrowed a 350D with 380EX flash. So I had quite alot of fun with it but I didnt realize that quite alot of my shots dint come out as nice as they should have such as this one.
shallowDOF.jpg

I believe this is a problem of small depth of field am i right? But the hall was quite dark and I used the smallest apperture value to get the most light. Am i right to say that small apperture value = shallow DOF. If so, how do you get more people in focus in low lighting?

Or did i not use the flash to proper use hehe xD

Thank you in advance! :)
use the same setting but f8 this time with bounce flash. the background might not be as well exposed as this, but the foreground is mroe impt!

With flash and doing such shots, I'd recommend shooting at f/5.6 and not at f/2.8 as you have done on this occasion.

so you've learnt the hard way that shooting at f2.8 for group shots is a no-no...:bsmilie:

hehe yupss but now i know better =)

i wish i had more practice with the 350D i dun own one so i loan one haha

actually it's not only the aperture size.
the working distance plays a part too.
the nearer you are to the subjects, the shallower the dof.
the focal length also plays a part.

i learnt it the hard way through macro photography. but please correct me if i am mistaken. :cry:

few question...what is wrong with the pics...i very bad at details

second...are u really shooting at f2.8?? if yes...what lens?

few question...what is wrong with the pics...i very bad at details

second...are u really shooting at f2.8?? if yes...what lens?

the lady on the far right is out of focus...

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 350D DIGITAL
Image Date: 2006:11:23 19:35:52
Flash Used: Yes (Manual, red eye reduction mode)
Focal Length: 24.0mm
CCD Width: 22.20mm
Exposure Time: 0.010 s (1/100)
Aperture: f/2.8
ISO equiv: 800
Exposure Bias: 1.00
White Balance: Auto
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)
for this, you can use f5.6, 1/60s, move two or three steps to your right, so everyone faces can be seen.

if you prefer to shoot group photos with f2.8, you can ask the people to do a police line up, all stand against the wall, and you are able to get all in focus if you shoot straight on.

for this, you can use f5.6, 1/60s, move two or three steps to your right, so everyone faces can be seen.

if you prefer to shoot group photos with f2.8, you can ask the people to do a police line up, all stand against the wall, and you are able to get all in focus if you shoot straight on.

move to the left.... photo and photographer view is the same... no mirror imaging:)

and cannot do a straight line, the corners should curve in a bit... hehehe everyone must be the same dist from the lense mah

imho group shots can go lower than 1/60 cos people are not moving and actually "freeze" themselve for the shot... if you are worried about blurring, then take 2 more lor... digital no waste money anyway:)

f5.6 + 1/60 is good advice though...

Alright thanks for your advice,

Anyhow, I dint realize this pic was bad untill i uploaded to the computer. I couldnt see the OOF through the LCD display. Any suggestions how to overcome this?

Alright thanks for your advice,

Anyhow, I dint realize this pic was bad untill i uploaded to the computer. I couldnt see the OOF through the LCD display. Any suggestions how to overcome this?

i always enlarge in the screen to see whether its off if i think i did oof or that kinda composititon is most likely to make a mistake

borrow a cam more to improve yr shots
cheers
:)

the picture is perfectly useable. nothing wrond with it. DOF is ok for me.

next time at this kind of situation, use f4 or f5.6

f 8 will give u too slow a shutter speed and waste much flash power.

Status
Not open for further replies.