DOF couldn't be shallower, can help pls?

Status
Not open for further replies.

henavs

Dec 23, 2002
Happy Chinese New Year to all ClubSnap members :)

P2041172.jpg

This pic was taken using E-10 with widest aperture F2.4 at full tele 140mm.

Normally at this setting we supposed to get the shallowest DOF. Well, look at the background of the picture. Those trees & HDB are almost 1km away, but they are still so clear.? :dunno:

Will a High Speed Sync Flash help to make the DOF shallower?
Or do I just move closer to the subject?

Thx in advanced...:thumbsup:

Originally posted by henavs
Or do I just move closer to the subject?

You've just answered your own question... ;)

Anyway, for this kind of stage shots where you're far away from the subject, it's best to walk around to change your shooting angle so that you get better background. In this case, it's to move over to the left side, or move to the right and wait for your subject to come into view. Hope that helps. :)

Originally posted by ziploc

You've just answered your own question... ;)

Haha...am I? was just guessing :p

I guess this is where I fail miserably when taking photo. Not spending enough time for composition & observe the surroundings.
That makes me a snapshotter, not a photographer...:(

Anyway, thx for the suggestion, ziploc. :thumbsup:

What about using hi speed sync flash? Can it blur the background as well?

One useful trick for reducing the DOF in a consumer digicam (and I've mentioned this a few times) is to attach a teleconverter (to increase the zoom range). There are a few available for the E-10 (I think there's a Belgian named Jar Jar Binks ;) who has a mean setup). Do consider it. You can get wonderful portraits this way.

Originally posted by StreetShooter
One useful trick for reducing the DOF in a consumer digicam (and I've mentioned this a few times) is to attach a teleconverter (to increase the zoom range). There are a few available for the E-10 (I think there's a Belgian named Jar Jar Binks ;) who has a mean setup). Do consider it. You can get wonderful portraits this way.

Oh, yup, read that somewhere, maybe from ur previous threads. :p
Will try to play with that setup also.

Thx, StreetShooter :thumbsup:

Originally posted by StreetShooter

...or you can use software to blur the background away :p

Looking at ur shot with human size occupied 3/4 frame , dun think you can blur the background with any lens except top range lens like 200mm f1.8 , 300mm f2.8 and 400mm f2.8. Am I right ?

Originally posted by Jason Ho
or get a 200mm f1.8L lens ;)

i wish i could :p

Originally posted by jasonpgc

...or you can use software to blur the background away :p

Well, used to do that :D ...
But after a while it become cumbersome having to thru each frames... It makes it look a bit artificial also :rolleyes:

Originally posted by megaweb
Looking at ur shot with human size occupied 3/4 frame , dun think you can blur the background with any lens except top range lens like 200mm f1.8 , 300mm f2.8 and 400mm f2.8. Am I right ?

Thx for pointing out, Megaweb...Just as ziploc had said earlier, moving closer will throw the background outta focus more...I didnt realise that at all :(

Status
Not open for further replies.