DOF calculator

Status
Not open for further replies.

CYRN

Nov 14, 2002
photoevangel.com
Hi,

Anyone know where can I get a DOF table or calculator?

Want to try something different but cannot afford the trial-and-error style this time.

TIA

CYRN said:
Hi,

Anyone know where can I get a DOF table or calculator?

Want to try something different but cannot afford the trial-and-error style this time.

TIA
Most lens manual has a DOF table, you also can search from the net, commercially made one is not that cheap, I bought mine from the maker of ExpoDisc, but don't know where I keep it liao. :bsmilie:

Hope this help

thanks...

Thanks karwing, it's what I'm looking for. But for PDA solution...

Or a printable table matrix. It's more for quick reference than a detailed to the mm calulation.

cheers

CYRN said:
BTW regarding the site calculation.. I tot the FLM of DSLRs should not affect the DOF of the lens? But somehow the calculation differs. :dunno: :dunno:
probably due to the 1.5 crop? DOf could be enlarged?

CYRN said:
BTW regarding the site calculation.. I tot the FLM of DSLRs should not affect the DOF of the lens? But somehow the calculation differs. :dunno: :dunno:
format size and focal length of the lens does matter.

CYRN said:

Should be different, different circle of confusion.

sometimes i wonder how useful it is when u are using it on a modern 35mm where the distance marking is so "agar agar"..
how can one make precise DOF measurement on it ?

unlike those older cameras or monorails with a detailed focusing marks..

kex said:
sometimes i wonder how useful it is when u are using it on a modern 35mm where the distance marking is so "agar agar"..

that's why I'm looking more for quick reference instead

catchlights said:

cuz of the examples of using digicams to take macro... even @ f8... the DOF is still plenty... I assumed that FLM dosen't matter cus it's tied to the focal length of the lens... in the case of digicams, they are around 8mm to 20mm equivilant... so DOF is as calculated

If you'll notice, DOF cover 1/3 distance in front of the subject, and 2/3 distance be hide the subject. You also can use the DOF preview of the camera.

kex said:

:bsmilie:
Mind pm me your lab address? may need you to help to scan some negatives.

CYRN said:
This is cool :thumbsup: :thumbsup: just what I need. thanks..

Now, anyone got a table matrix type for quick reference?

Also, how about those that runs on PC?

somewhere in here: at least 2 of them, good reading on hyperfocal dist too....

FLM matters for the CoC...dun ask me to explain the physics of it....

GitS said:
sorry, 4got to give u the links...hahahaha

Thanks... found all I need in those links. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

catchlights said:

Half right Format size "DOESN"T" affect but focal length "DOES" affect. A large format 90mm lenes and small format 90mm lenes have the same DOF coverage at the same distance. Because the focal length of the 90mm on the small format is a tele lens and on the large format the 90mm is a wide angle lens so you see different. That why large format lens have very small maxium aperture opening usually from F5.6 up ward. A 90mm will have more DOF coverage then a 135mm at the distance. :D

singscott said:
Half right Format size "DOESN"T" affect but focal length "DOES" affect. A large format 90mm lenes and small format 90mm lenes have the same DOF coverage at the same distance. Because the focal length of the 90mm on the small format is a tele lens and on the large format the 90mm is a wide angle lens so you see different. That why large format lens have very small maxium aperture opening usually from F5.6 up ward. A 90mm will have more DOF coverage then a 135mm at the distance. :D
Yes, thanks for pointing out my mistake.
same angles coverage of lens with different format camera have different DOF coverage.
and same angles coverage does not = to same focal lenght on different format.
:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.