Does your Kr/K5 work with 3rd party flash?

poseur

Jul 27, 2009
HI all,

I had been using my 3rd party ebay OEM brand less PTTL flash on my Kx for almost 1 yr, and I have a "strange" encounter when i recently brought an Kr.

This OEM brand less PTTL flash works flawlessly on Kx and K7 at all settings (auto zoom head, sync aperture and iso. full PTTL function etc etc) and suffer no problem at all.

when the same flash is mounted on my Kr....at iso 100 200 it is still fine but any higher iso, almost every picture will be a white screen of death.....

I thought it is a flash socket problem with my Kr and went down for a chat at Emjay service center...Kevin slap on a AF360FGZ on my Kr....surprise surprise....it work fine....

Damn....so it means my brand less PTTL flash may not be so comparable to the new pentax models...

Any follow pentaxian bro/sis here who own a 3rd party flash like Metz or Sigma PTTL flash, do they work on your Kr/K5??? I'm trying to gather some feedback, cos I have a event to shoot next week and I need a flash fast.....:sweat::sweat:

using the metz 48 with K-5. works fine.

thanks for the prompt response...
good to hear Metz 48 works with K5 (my next target body ;) )
does any bro/sis out there have Metz or sigma flash working on the Kr, is so can feed back the flash model as well???

K-r and Sigma 530 super, good result up to ISO3200. Beyond that the flash can not reduce it's firing power for the set ISO from camera. Unless you dial FEC in. According to flash manual, workable ISO range is 25-1600. So, the result are acceptable.
Btw, are u sure Pentax flashes are working fine at very high ISO? I think AF540 have the same ISO range as my Sigma.

K-r and Sigma 530 super, good result up to ISO3200. Beyond that the flash can not reduce it's firing power for the set ISO from camera. Unless you dial FEC in. According to flash manual, workable ISO range is 25-1600. So, the result are acceptable.
Btw, are u sure Pentax flashes are working fine at very high ISO? I think AF540 have the same ISO range as my Sigma.

my brand less PTTL flash max iso sync setting is 800...so when i use it on my Kx..i never go beyond that and so far it is fine. But on Kr from iso 400 onwards...screen of white death....my heart goes as dead as the picture.....:bheart:

I guess my requirements is not going for the extreme high ISO flash performances, just want a flash thats just works have have a slight faster recharging time...so doing a survey to see if other 3rd party flash is having any problem with Kr/K5.

good to hear Sigma super 530 works on Kr....that could be one of my target flash...

Last edited:
There are new Metz flashes coming so best not buy anything yet. Prices may fall

There are new Metz flashes coming so best not buy anything yet. Prices may fall

i've been brooding over that since i got my metz 48 a few months ago... thinking back, if i had waited, what was i supposed to use in the meantime :confused:

all the events, all the outings, all the fun shooting ;)

if need, just buy... if time lag is only 1, 2 weeks, fine... beyond that, i think just bite the bullet and buy lah :bsmilie:

does anyone have any experience with Metz 50 and K-r? I am currently looking for a cheaper 3rd party flash thanks

i've been brooding over that since i got my metz 48 a few months ago... thinking back, if i had waited, what was i supposed to use in the meantime :confused:

all the events, all the outings, all the fun shooting ;)

if need, just buy... if time lag is only 1, 2 weeks, fine... beyond that, i think just bite the bullet and buy lah :bsmilie:

Get a YongNuo. :bsmilie:

The flash I love most is still my trusty Vivitar 285HV.

Hmm, can give experience on how to operate a full manual flash like the YN? Will it be difficult to use? From what I know you need to set the flash power then adjust your shutter accordingly otherwise the picture will overexpose. On a studio with controlled lighting this will be easy but on the field it sounds like a nightmare.

Hi all, riding on the Metz flash as my 540 bite the dust...
*anyone owns a 58 AF-1 or AF-2 (newer version)?
*where can i purchase & the cost?

Will appreciate any information/help render, many thanks.

francis

Hi all, riding on the Metz flash as my 540 bite the dust...
*anyone owns a 58 AF-1 or AF-2 (newer version)?
*where can i purchase & the cost?

Will appreciate any information/help render, many thanks.

francis

Hi Francis,

I got my 58 AF-1 from OP in June at a cost of $600.00

Thks Felix but do you have to intend order from the shop or simply buy off the shelf?

I asked OP about Metz a few days ago and they only had Metz 50 in stock for pentax, in the end I ordered one 58 af1 from sgcamerastore as they claimed that it only takes 2 days to come

I bought the last AF1 from OP. They are probably waiting for AF2 stocks. It's available in Europe already. Perhaps PTTL works better on the AF2. You might want to buy a cheap auto flash until the AF2 comes in. The metal hotshoe connector is a plus.