Does your fren take advantage of you for photography services

Status
Not open for further replies.

rach

Apr 22, 2005
www.flickr.com
Any of you has frens whom ask u to take wedding or ROM photos for them and they expect u to take for free? Then worst part is cos its friend's wedding..never get paid for the services yet still have to give ang bao sia.

Though I am not the pro but at least to show appreciation, there should be at least a small ang bao right, but some ppl just expects it to be FOC. Faint!
How to let them know its not FOC without spoiling the friendship?:(

There have been several similar discussions before with TONS of responses, thoughts etc shared.

Based on what you said ... you sound miffed that you're being taken foregranted, and that there's no way you'll do it FOC, and looking for a way to tell your friend.

One way is say camera spoiled and would cost $1.7k to repair. Can they help cover the repairs? :devil:

IF it's a QUALITY friend, you ought to be able to be open and honest. Did they ask you, very EXPLICITLY that they want you to offer your services absolutely FOC? Just tell them, honestly, that you'll be glad to discuss with them and arrange a special discount as part of your gift to them.

The Joker once said " If u are good at something, never do it for free":nono:

Thats what i told those friend of mine when they ask me to take photos for their events....:D

Any of you has frens whom ask u to take wedding or ROM photos for them and they expect u to take for free? Then worst part is cos its friend's wedding..never get paid for the services yet still have to give ang bao sia.

Though I am not the pro but at least to show appreciation, there should be at least a small ang bao right, but some ppl just expects it to be FOC. Faint!

First of all, real friends will not take advantage of you.

And if you don't let them, there is absolutely no way they can take advantage of you.

Spill it out, what happened?

My guess is, you probably felt great when your friend asked you, then you felt taken advantage of when there was not even a meaningful ang bao.

At the end of the day, it's not your friend's fault, it's yours. Why? You said yes.

Ahhh ... the event has passed.

Well, move on and learn how to be firm, or 'diplomatic' without offending.

In other words, learn all the ways to say no.

Workplace is one of the worst! Cos of 'politics'.

GAWD! I remembered once I had to do the MD a favor - take photo of an object for his TEMPLE's newsletter. All I had was my medium format. He was so concerned about cost he asked me how much the film was. I told him $4, and he screamed "$4 per shot! Why so expensive?" :confused: :rolleyes:

But you have to use these opportunities to 'gain favor' with the bosses if you want to survive.

Well, take it as it comes. ask for a fee as it deems fit.

If you boss agreed on your behalf to take wedding pix for company GM's son and the whole company is invited (including you). will you decline?

Photography = passion
Job = survival
free photography = survival?

The answer is tricky and honestly, it should be a firm no cos you are on par with the rest.

Taking up a wedding assignment is more than just passion. it involves many risk (including risk of equipment damage). And the bigger risk is screw up which may cost not just your reputation, but may affect your job as well.

No hard and fast rules, but since you'd already done it, do a good job on touch up an give out name cards - with a smile!

Well... it happens anywhere...

And I stood my grounds on one situation and was told to leave after my contract expired... :sweat:

but what the heck, if there was once, they would just exploit me more... so heck the darn job

First of all, real friends will not take advantage of you.

And if you don't let them, there is absolutely no way they can take advantage of you.

totally agree!! :thumbsup:

choose ur friends wisely, i'll give those fare-weathered "friends" my boot anytime! :devil:

Last edited:
actually i dont mind, doesnt hurt to have friends owe you favours in exchange of currency. There are times such favours repaid are life savers in my opinion.

start telling people you are not shooting for FREE, put in your blog, write in your email signature, send a mass sms, msn.

start bring a holga or lomo instead of DSLR when you go out with your friends, TLR or film SLR also can.

start showing arty farty photos around, those can't see faces, or faces half cropped, all out of focus, weird color.

telling your friend your cousin bring your camera for a tour during that time.

telling your friend your kit lens spoiled, only left with 55~200 zoom.

telling your friend your camera is out of focus lately, need to calibrate by the factory, need one month turn around time.

start telling people you are not shooting for FREE, put in your blog, write in your email signature, send a mass sms, msn.

start bring a holga or lomo instead of DSLR when you go out with your friends, TLR or film SLR also can.

start showing arty farty photos around, those can't see faces, or faces half cropped, all out of focus, weird color.

telling your friend your cousin bring your camera for a tour during that time.

telling your friend your kit lens spoiled, only left with 55~200 zoom.

telling your friend your camera is out of focus lately, need to calibrate by the factory, need one month turn around time.

rofl rofl rofl

you always make me laugh

Event is not over yet. Its in march. I asked my friend, so are u going to pay me? then she replied..wah..cannot do for free ar??
Well she said that she do not need to hire a photographer since its just a ROM, during dinner then hire pro photographer. SO i tell her to just get someone with a camera will do since u wanted normal photos and she replied of cos she wanted better photos quality and no one has a camera besides me (cannot be right...) Anyway I told her no, unless u are willing to pay me lo :devil:

Event is not over yet. Its in march. I asked my friend, so are u going to pay me? then she replied..wah..cannot do for free ar??
Well she said that she do not need to hire a photographer since its just a ROM, during dinner then hire pro photographer. SO i tell her to just get someone with a camera will do since u wanted normal photos and she replied of cos she wanted better photos quality and no one has a camera besides me (cannot be right...) Anyway I told her no, unless u are willing to pay me lo :devil:

this line itself is rather insulting in its context. i would tell that friend straight in the face that since i am not pro enough to shoot for the wedding dinner, i better not risk it for the ROM as well. :angry:

you make the right choice, always say NO when you feel you're being taken advantage of.

Status
Not open for further replies.