Does your family appreciate your photography hobby?

Does your family appreciate your photography hobby?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know of parents like that. but its awesome that you choose to continue pursuing your interest though. :thumbsup:

thanks... guess I was an independant kid. Chopping potatoes & fry my own french fries in hot oil since pri 1 :bsmilie:

almost everything i bought was 2nd hand, in order to cut cost from my pocket.

haha, same here.....only my CF cards and batt are not 2nd hand....

now my sis got photography class in school.....so of course she is appreciative of my hobby..lol

i didnt dare to let my dad know that i'm into photography. he's pretty old-minded
i told my mum though, and she say i can buy all the exp stuffs i want so long she don't have to pay haha.
Oh nice. Haha. Why you didn't want to tell your dad?

GMAN

My parents are never supportive. When I was a student, I remember having my first digicam the Olympus D210, later the 2040, bought it from my blood and sweat. They told me it's a waste of effort. But I did shot some really good memories with it.

They're never interested in my studies as well, though they're both well educated (and my grandparents as well). I remember coming home sometimes, telling them I've done well in school, they'll just shrug it off and ask me to have my dinner.

So to all the supportive parents :thumbsup:
We all have some form of a tough childhood. Well, don't let that deter you. You pursued your passion and today, you're doing well as an organizer. Just don't repeat the same mistakes your parents did to your children. Because children, don't want anything, they just want your time and care for them.

GMAN

My mum appreciates what I want to do including jumping from studying computer science into fine arts.

My current equipment list is partially sponsored by her. Recently even support my idea of setting up my own photography biz. Hehe! :)

I am one of those very lucky few whose family member also does photography, all my dad's lenses are available to me for sharing =)

My family is only partially supportive.... only when they need a cameraman.... :D

other than tat... nope... not supportive at all... usual complaints like I spent too much time/effort/$$$ persuing it :(

my parents don really mind coz they say as long as i got keep aside money for family, everything goes.

Interesting results...so many yes or do not care votes! Haha!

both my parents and my in-laws are supportive of my hobby, infact my mother recently sponsored to buy me a tele lens which I didn't expect her to.
Fwah you are lucky! I'd consider myself very lucky if my parents sponsored me any camera gear at all. :confused:

it is better to let your family know this is a decent hobby, they should be glad you are not wasting your life in computer game or on alcohol.
It is kinda decent I guess but the indecent part is the tons of money you find yourself pouring into it... LOL.

My family is only partially supportive.... only when they need a cameraman....

other than tat... nope... not supportive at all... usual complaints like I spent too much time/effort/$$$ persuing it
I feel for you bro.... :( Just keep on shooting man!

My mother always nagging at me to save money when she saw me coming back with boxes. "Son, you must safe money for your future family" ....I always reply her "Wait long long"
:bsmilie:

my dad is quite supportive..maybe becus he used to be from photography club in his younger years... hahahaha. he bought me my dry cab, dslr, etc... he always borrow cameras from his friend (who is also v willing to lend me) for me.

but buying new lenses he not that supportive cus he say it's a waste of money and tht my kit lens is good enough :sweat:

my mum is ok one.. just nag a bit but shes overall ok with my expenditure as long as i dont complain about not having enough money to spend =P
Wowow you have a great dad.... :thumbsup:

At least your parents are supportive of the hobby, try to psycho your dad say that your dslr needs good lens to perform at its best lor...haha!

Like you said, as long we don't get overboard about it, they will usually come to terms with it. Of course, they will always nag lah. It's part of their job. :bsmilie:

They always appreciate my hobby as I am always there for them during functions. Take all the pics for them and their friends. Print them out immediately for them. Put in photo frames or nice transparent plastic sleeves for them. Their friends are so happy with it! Must learn to gain mileage this way. Score points and get less nagging/scolding. :bsmilie:

My family had always been supportive. :)

But sometime my mom don't understand why i can wake up so early and carry my 15-18kg bag to outfield every week.

i didnt dare to let my dad know that i'm into photography. he's pretty old-minded
i told my mum though, and she say i can buy all the exp stuffs i want so long she don't have to pay haha.
Fwah! Ur mum rockssss!!! My mum will squeal if she discover my bank account go down by a few k. :embrass:

i sell mine kaching to get all my big long lens..
Oh boy your kaching must be damn sore liao by now. :sweat:

My wife's indulgent; she looks amused whenever I go nuts on a spree.:)
I dunno whether to envy you or be worried.... LOL...throwing away a few k has no effect on HER? Shouldn't she be like screaming away at you?

My mum appreciates what I want to do including jumping from studying computer science into fine arts.

My current equipment list is partially sponsored by her. Recently even support my idea of setting up my own photography biz. Hehe! :)
Cooooool....go for it man! Follow ur heart. :thumbsup:

I am one of those very lucky few whose family member also does photography, all my dad's lenses are available to me for sharing =)
Good for you too...I think this is the best case scenario liao!

my family appreciate my photography but must know where the limit, dont overbuy can. Cos my dad is a ex-photographer;)

still got a long way to achieve my dad standard:cry:

My dad has always been supportive, cause photography runs in the family line... (as a hobby)
But of course, I shouldn't spend too much on lenses... and I don't think I should too :sweatsm:

My parents took a pretty neutral view towards my hobby.

Infact my dad seems to be remotely interested and wanna start photography when he retired in a few years time :)

Time to psycho him!!!

My parents took a pretty neutral view towards my hobby.

Infact my dad seems to be remotely interested and wanna start photography when he retired in a few years time :)

Time to psycho him!!!

pass him your 400D. ask him to buy you that illusive 1Ds ;p:bsmilie:

my parents are frequently puzzled when i return home and show them my photos

they often just ask the same question

"how come you never shoot pictures of yourself when you travel???"

:bsmilie:

it is better to let your family know this is a decent hobby, they should be glad you are not wasting your life in computer game or on alcohol.

what if you spend your entire month's pay on shooting xmm with super expensive nice bokeh lens..

and then spend entire evenings oogling them on your computer screen....? :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.