does your cokin nd 8 give u purple casting or redish casting?

Daddypal

Aug 7, 2006
Pasir Ris
recently just buy my cokin nd 8...however it give a purple casting.:angry:

anyone have any solution to deal with it?

Yes, my ex cokin nd8 does.. its known issues with inconsistent performance, sth u have to content with..

one of the main reasons i switch over to Lee's :)

ermm you get what you paid for. It is a well known issue

i regretted it and invested a few filters... thinking switching to High-Tec, close to Lee's at cheaper price...

I have a Cokin nd8 and a al cheapo tianya nd8. The tianya is marginally better in the color cast department

Shoot raw and adjust the WB later. No big deal.

stacking filter will produce violet cast for my usin tianya

My tianya serving me well. Haven't seem any pruple cast yet.

Here's the reason as stated at this site: leakage of infra-red light.

Strong ND filters attenuate visible light strongly but leak a small amount of infra-red light. Depending on the strength of the IR filter in your camera and the response of the sensor to infra-red light, you will suffer color cast as a result.

Some filters (e.g. Cokin) leak more than others (e.g. Lee, Hitech and Singh-Ray).

Stacking ND filters can exacerbate the issue if each of the filters in the stack leaks a small amount of infra-red light.

Changing the white balance in the camera will NOT fix the problem 'cos some objects reflect more infra-red light than others, e.g., trees and clouds.

You can either purchase a UV/IR filter or change your ND filter. If you need very strong ND filters without color cast, consider Lee's BigStopper which offers 10 stops ND.

haha,thanks gentleman for the feedback

doodah,thanks for the useful techical information

now i can decide which nd filter to buy next time

wasted my money to buy tianya nd 8 and cokin nd 8 :cry:

thanks KY1977

use your matter

able to solve the problem with adjusting white balance

lucky i shoot it with raw
manage to save the image ;)

thanks KY1977

use your matter

able to solve the problem with adjusting white balance

lucky i shoot it with raw
manage to save the image ;)

No worries. Have fun and dun worry too much about equipment.

i regretted it and invested a few filters... thinking switching to High-Tec, close to Lee's at cheaper price...

From what I read, Hi-tec also exhibit some color casting, although not as bad as cokin.

I have given up the idea on switching up to Lee's as I cannot justify the costs. So far cokin is working ok if I do not stack nd8 with GNDs or nd4. If there is a slight color cast, I am still doing fine by adjusting WB in RAW.

From what I read, Hi-tec also exhibit some color casting, although not as bad as cokin.

Actually, Hitech, Lee and Singh-Ray all have some color cast when NDs are stacked or very high (except for Lee's Bigstopper). Cokin has bad rep 'cos even their low NDs transmit IR.

Actually, Hitech, Lee and Singh-Ray all have some color cast when NDs are stacked or very high (except for Lee's Bigstopper). Cokin has bad rep 'cos even their low NDs transmit IR.

Isn't it good that you use a black box and stack alot of cokin filter, you can shoot IR photos already. IR filters cost about 200, this is cheaper.:bsmilie::bsmilie::bsmilie: