Does Wide-Screen really distorts pictures?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Visuals

Sep 7, 2006
Hi all.

I was at Sim Lim last weekend and encountered a Viewsonic sales rep who was promoting the 20ich VX2025 to me.

The sales rep mentioned that when using a wide-format LCD, the image (photo) will inevitably stretch. It won't be like on a normal 'non-wide' screen.

Just like to confirm if this 'inevitable distortion' is really true.

If 'Yes':

- Is it significant?
- Is it the same for all brands?
- How do users counter this problem then?

Thanks.

that guy does not know what he is talking about... a widescreen lcd has the pixels on the screen set in a format such that the screen is wide, 16:9, instead of the usual 4:3... the pixels themselves are not stretched so there would not be stretching of an image...

Visuals said:
Hi all.

I was at Sim Lim last weekend and encountered a Viewsonic sales rep who was promoting the 20ich VX2025 to me.

The sales rep mentioned that when using a wide-format LCD, the image (photo) will inevitably stretch. It won't be like on a normal 'non-wide' screen.

Just like to confirm if this 'inevitable distortion' is really true.

If 'Yes':

- Is it significant?
- Is it the same for all brands?
- How do users counter this problem then?

Thanks.
nope... unless you are using 4:3 resolution which is for normal LCD/Monitor such as 1024x768. just buy and set ur resolution to something like 1280x768... best is to measure the length and height of the LCD panel and set accordingly to that ratio

I wonder this sales person from which shop....I also checked on this when I pre-ordered the 22" Viewsonic LCD panel 3 weeks ago in Comex.

ExplorerZ said:
nope... unless you are using 4:3 resolution which is for normal LCD/Monitor such as 1024x768. just buy and set ur resolution to something like 1280x768... best is to measure the length and height of the LCD panel and set accordingly to that ratio
If you use DVI, the card will be forced to the native resolution of the monitor, won't it?

lsisaxon said:
If you use DVI, the card will be forced to the native resolution of the monitor, won't it?
i don know... he din state that was a analog or dvi LCD or both or wateva :bsmilie:
anyway i still tink it is possible to set... if not how do people use widescreen dvi monitor/lcd? :dunno:

ExplorerZ said:
i don know... he din state that was a analog or dvi LCD or both or wateva :bsmilie:
anyway i still tink it is possible to set... if not how do people use widescreen dvi monitor/lcd? :dunno:
you think only huh? then why bother to reply.
let those who really know reply better.

Just set the destop resolution to the native resolution as stated in your LCD monitor's instruction manual and you wont have distorted images due to the wide screen.

This applys to both DVI and analog or any monitor that you buy ...

Thanks for all your kind guidance.
:)

Just make sure your graphic card supports the native resolution of the LCD monitor.

Usually different max. resolution supported for Analog and DVI.

For the LCD monitor is question here, the native resolution is 1680 x 1050 which most older graphic cards don't support.

there is a setting in the LCD menu whether the screen should be stretched, if disabled it will simply map one hard pixel to one pixle in your display window. if you use a smaller window than the native resolution, it will have a black border around the window.

at the same time, your graphics card setting also have resolution setting.

actually for a long time people have been stretching their pix without knowing or noticing. many people uses 1280×1024 on a 4/3 ratio display, which should in fact be 1280×960. so if you display your digicam 4/3 ratio image full-screen onto a 1280×1024 display, it will be stretched. if you set to 1280×960 you should see a black border on top and bottom of the display, if not that means your LCD is enabled with "display stretching".

Status
Not open for further replies.