does weight have a bearing on your preception of well built camera?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flashbulb

Jun 20, 2008
or phrased another way, lighter need not be better.

opinions?

Dream Merchant

Staff member
Jan 11, 2007
I think most people would equate heavier weight with a 'more solidly' built camera, because the perception is that it's made of more metal rather than polycarbs or synthetics. Interestingly, certain polrcarbs and synthetics are shatter-proof/resistant or offer immense resistance properties, like Lexan, which is bullet-proof.

But it's like the perception about cough medicine - 'if it tastes too good, it can't be effective'. What people don't know is that the active ingredients in real cough meds can easily be put into a tablet or capsule. It doesn't have to be in a liquid formula that must get in contact with the esophagus for it to work.

giantcanopy

Feb 11, 2007
SG
But it's like the perception about cough medicine - 'if it tastes too good, it can't be effective'.
Tell that to the cough medication addicts

Rangefinders are pretty light as well

Ryan

ahbian

May 23, 2006
I find it hard to describe, its not how heavy or light per se, I think its more of how "balanced" it feels in your hands.

night86mare

Deregistered
Aug 25, 2006
www.pbase.com
yes, if you wrap a brick and attach it to a canon powershot or something, i will think that it is a tank :D

of course not, but people equate weight with solid materials, stronger materials tend to be heavier

Galdor

Jul 5, 2006
Planet Gaia
s105.photobucket.com
Why are higher end models heavier than entry level cams? Can't they make the high end models be as light as the Olympus E420? :think:

chewgary92

Sep 6, 2008
Well, the heavier they are, the harder they fall, no? :sweat:
Yes you are correct. Heavier items possess a larger amount of gravitational potential energy ay the same height as compared to something lighter. So I guess that the impact will be greater.

David Kwok

Aug 23, 2008
Singapore
www.flickr.com
I personally like the heavier weight of the body to balance the normally heavy lens. It's not about the weight to me, it's about the CG of the lens + body combination. I find it more comfortable if the CG inclined towards to the body rather than the lens.

Daedalus Trent

Apr 15, 2008
Singapore, east-ish
I personally like the heavier weight of the body to balance the normally heavy lens. It's not about the weight to me, it's about the CG of the lens + body combination. I find it more comfortable if the CG inclined towards to the body rather than the lens.
That's what I thought too..initially.. :bsmilie:

I'm using a D90 with a 70-200 and it does feel balanced, imo :)

Flashbulb

Jun 20, 2008
I agree too...i just find heavier bodies like easier to use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom