Does UV filter have any effect?

Redantckc

Sep 5, 2010
Hi all,

Need some advice. In sunrise, low light and long exposure shots, will UV filter affect the picture in any way? Could not tell from my test shots.

What kind of shots will you remove UV filter.

Cheers
:embrass:

Hi all,

Need some advice. In sunrise, low light and long exposure shots, will UV filter affect the picture in any way? Could not tell from my test shots.

Cheers

In certain conditions, it will have a negative effect by causing flare and ghosting. Especially during low light, sunrise/sunset or night time.

I will remove UV filter when attaching other filters. Or during night time.

In certain conditions, it will have a negative effect by causing flare and ghosting. Especially during low light, sunrise/sunset or night time.

I will remove UV filter when attaching other filters. Or during night time.

For removal of UV filter, does it Include ND Filter for sunrise/sunset shots?

Thanks

which ND filter is good?

which ND filter is good?
The one that serves the purpose, right? There is more than one type and more than one brand. Please do some search here, frequently discussed.

For removal of UV filter, does it Include ND Filter for sunrise/sunset shots?

Yes. When attaching any other filter at any time, it is highly recommended you remove your UV/protective filter.

Last edited:
ND filter is good for sunset (sunrise not sure cos never taken before).

:)

Then you ought to try sunrises. Personally I like sunrises a lot more than sunsets. Everything is calmer.

BTW ND is good for anything as long as you need to lower the amount of light entering the camera and you know what you are doing.

GND is the one that I use sometimes for sunrises/sunsets, to balance out exposures between highlights and lowlights.

Cheapo UV filters also seem to cause more ghosting and unwanted effects. If get a UV filter, at least get a decently priced one.

Cheapo UV filters also seem to cause more ghosting and unwanted effects. If get a UV filter, at least get a decently priced one.
Better get a decent brand / quality filter. Cheap filters at the price of B+W won't help, but will make the sales man's day :)

I got a B+W UV Filter... it makes A LOT OF DIFFERENCE!

I was using the EOMULUX UV filter $12 only . Compared with B+W, EOMULUX filter is crapped IMO :thumbsd:

I got a B+W UV Filter... it makes A LOT OF DIFFERENCE!

I was using the EOMULUX UV filter $12 only . Compared with B+W, EOMULUX filter is crapped IMO :thumbsd:

What difference did u notice ? :)

ND filter is good for sunset (sunrise not sure cos never taken before).

:)

bro, i won't say that nd filter is good for sunset or sunrise. after all, i use it a lot during daytime..

it is good when you want to use it... for the effects that nd filter bring, i.e. long exposures to smooth out water, to darken the scene when you want to shoot wide open and using the lowest iso with the fastest shutter speed gives you an overexposed photo... etc.

Last edited:
Hi all,

Cheers

yes, it will degrade the image somewhat. especially if dirty. but if clean, should not be visible.

as mentioned, when you have a concentrated light source directly shining on the filter/lens combination, the filter might cause flaring/ghosting.

i don't use any uv filters... as far as i'm concerned, i don't see how they help in "protecting your lens"... if you are shoving your lenses into things that can scratch the front element, you need to learn how to protect your equipment. putting a uv filter in front gives one a false sense of security, if you ask me. after all, there have been recorded incidents where the uv filter broke and scratched the front element... so it can be as much of a bane as it is touted to be a boon.

What difference did u notice ? :)

The REDs are redder and the GREENs are geener ... Picture is sharper (can noticed one) w/o PP

When I was using the EMOLUX filter some pictures I show to friends say from a D5000 they say dun believe.. the picture quality is so bad

another thing...different uv filter allow a varying amount of light to pass.

eg, when i use Tokina $10 filter, picture is darker and colors more saturated whereas the more expensive Marumi when used the picture looks the same as not using uv filter.