Does using LR3.2 means not retaining the details of 14-bit raw files?

ManWearPants

Jul 14, 2008
Singapore
I am not sure if it is better to process images captured as 14-bit with DPP. While I like the workflow of LR3.2, I do not want to lose details right from the beginning of my workflow. Is it true one must import using DPP to retain all the tiniest details of 14-bit images.

I am not sure if it is better to process images captured as 14-bit with DPP. While I like the workflow of LR3.2, I do not want to lose details right from the beginning of my workflow. Is it true one must import using DPP to retain all the tiniest details of 14-bit images.
no this is not true. LR is not altering the original RAW file (only RAW has 14bit), it is just reading the file and produces a recipe how the alterations are to be done. the 14bit is only altered when you export the file into a jpeg (reduced to 8bit)

The things you see change on your monitor when using Lightroom are the changes reflected on a JPG preview of the RAW file. The changes you make are not done until you export the photo. Before you export, the changes you make are stored as script commands, ready to be applied (to the exported image, not the RAW file) when you hit the export button. Lightroom never edits the RAW file.