Does this shot have any value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarNikon

Nov 8, 2005
Rivervale
I shot this while at the zoo. To me, this photo tried to capture the excitement of the duel between the two white tigers. However, not sure if such photos are of value in the eye of a pro photographer? Is there a better way to do this?

TigerWar.jpg

DarNikon said:
I shot this while at the zoo. To me, this photo tried to capture the excitement of the duel between the two white tigers. However, not sure if such photos are of value in the eye of a pro photographer? Is there a better way to do this?

TigerWar.jpg

To be honest, I'd say that there is value in every shot. It's just a matter of how you look at it. Photography, like any other form of art is purely subjective.

If just one person likes a photograph, you either have a secret admirer or he/ she is a family member.

But if a lot of people like your photograph, especially complete strangers, then you perhaps have something really eye-catching and unique.

Personally, I feel that you've got a good concept here, and it is well-executed. A stable shot, but it portrays the motion and vigor in this act of play/ aggression. However, I am also debating about what this shot would have looked like if the motion was freezed, and then cropped in close to simply focus on facial expression.

There is a bit of space in your piece, and the inclusion of some environmental elements that are not entirely crucial to the photo, but the space was also necessary to portray the extent of motion.

Overall it's a great shot, much better than plenty (if not all) of the photographs I got at the zoo a few days ago. The lighting there is pretty limited in some instances, and while I was there, the tigers were practically snoozing and not doing much.

just a thought... now ur background is sharp and the tigers are blur... have u thought about this: making your tigers sharp but the background clear? you can do this by following the movements of the tigers... i think it wld have portrayed the 'action' more vividly...

just a thought ;)

I think it'll be a little hard to be "panning" the tigers' movements as the tigers are moving randomly and not in synchronisation.

As for value in this shot, it depends on how you define value. Monetary? Satisfaction?

Value aside, this shot doesn't work for me, however if you were to perhaps "abstractise" (if there's such a word!!) the image, like say, drastically increase the contrast so the stripes look more pronounced, and the background goes darker, it would really isolate the movement.

here's wat i mean really hope you don't mind me meddling with your work:

TigerWar1.jpg

If you had another chance at the shot, perhaps you could zoom in on a particular part of the tigers, maybe the two heads, record the movement, and freeze it with a little fill-in rear curtain flash.

just a few suggestions... :)

While you have spotted and captured an interesting moment, the execution process still has room for improvement.

Generally for a shot like this the faces (or even the some portions of the bodies) of your subjects should be sharp and clear. You can achieve this by using flash set to rear-curtain sync. That way you can still get motion blur to show movement, yet keep the expressions of your subjects sharp.

However I'm not sure if you're allowed to use flash at the venue. If not, the next best is to use a fast shutter speed to freeze the action. Allowing your subjects to become blur like you have done does not work for this shot.

Its not a bad shot by any standard. Awesome moment. Interesting idea too. I think it could use some PS work on the colors and such. To reduce distraction from the background. :) This is the way I see it (hope you dont mind me using your pic). Also, I can only imagine what the shot would have been like if you had decided to freeze the tigers instead.

TigerWar.jpg

Thanks fWord, lumen, jOhO & Solarii - your comments were encouraging and got me thinking how I can improve the next time I shoot something like this. jOhO, thanks for tip of abstractising :) - looks quite good.:)

Thanks BurgaFlippinMan, like your version too - hmmm.... next time after shooting, I should consider the interesting filters in PS.:)

I like it, very survivor-ish... I just wish the blur wasn't so distracting... :)

paxluv said:
I like it, very survivor-ish... I just wish the blur wasn't so distracting... :)

haha, ya know what you mean. Will take advice given here, will try to freeze it the next time. :)

Thanks Paxluv.

hi,
great shot to be able to capture them in this posture. guess you intentionally blurred the actions to show movement. Personally, would prefer freezed posture showing the aggressiveness through facial expression (then again, may not have time to capture it) similiar to how chinese painting is done. Just a comment.

it is easier to comment than to shoot. but this picture would be, to me, lovely if the angle taken is oblique showing 45deg to the tiger on the right, and frozen.

yes it looks very nice not bad

crop more from the top and bottom so as to focus on the tigers in action

whoa, actually i think this is a very rare moment...
we can't see the tigers fighting everytime we go to zoo right ^^
i like this photo, in a really short time, you can find an angle and take photo of them...
nice one ^^

Don't take advice from people who say, you should have done this, you should have done that. It's not like you were expecting a tiger fight. You did the best you could, it's a great shot.

If you knew there was going to be a tiger fight, you could have done the things they said-- rear curtain flash, panning, etc. But who would know or expect it? And if not, how can you do those things? The only thing that could have been done was done-- you raised the camera, framed, and pressed the shutter.

This is photojournalism, not studio or product shoots. You take what you get. It's over in a flash.

It's like saying (for example) the picture of the Columbia shuttle explosion would have been better if you had used a polarizer. Well, the guy didn't use a polarizer, and still his picture was shown across the globe and the photo became famous. The shuttle would have been destroyed by the time he put on a polarizer.

If you had a chance to do it again, you'd do it differently, but that's an impossibility, so don't sweat it.

solarii said:
While you have spotted and captured an interesting moment, the execution process still has room for improvement.

Generally for a shot like this the faces (or even the some portions of the bodies) of your subjects should be sharp and clear. You can achieve this by using flash set to rear-curtain sync. That way you can still get motion blur to show movement, yet keep the expressions of your subjects sharp.

However I'm not sure if you're allowed to use flash at the venue. If not, the next best is to use a fast shutter speed to freeze the action. Allowing your subjects to become blur like you have done does not work for this shot.

Not really lah...why must everything be SHARP??? more importantly is the showing of the vitality and dynamics of the moment. Sharpness won't help in this. i also like joho color effect.
DarNikon could add in some "warm" eg using a 81A. this would usually make wildlife photo look better.

i just like the moment alot.
its not every visit to the zoo you get to capture something like that.
i think its worth alot of value in your private collection. ;)

Hi DarNikon,

Yes, I like the shot, but most importantly is you like the shot.

Just a thought; If your camera is able to do some rapid fire. blast off half a dozen shots at a faster shutter speed and then superimpose a couple of them in PS.

Cheers :)

You should know wild animal move quite fast. So you should change your setting to shutter, instead of Manual / Aperture. :sweatsm: too late to say that now.
No worries, learn from experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.