does this happan to u when going oversea ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi everyone , just wana ask ard if u guys also kana tis like me , 2 weeks ago when i put my camera bag on the x-ray machine with my 70-200mm lens in my bag at the airport , after the scan the officer told me to empty my water bottle in my bag which i dun have any , than she point at the monitor show my tele lens :bsmilie: she mistook the lens as a water bottle :bigeyes: did u guys exp that b4 ?

wah! your lense got water inside? underwater lense? :bsmilie::bsmilie:

hi everyone , just wana ask ard if u guys also kana tis like me , 2 weeks ago when i put my camera bag on the x-ray machine with my 70-200mm lens in my bag at the airport , after the scan the officer told me to empty my water bottle in my bag which i dun have any , than she point at the monitor show my tele lens :bsmilie: she mistook the lens as a water bottle :bigeyes: did u guys exp that b4 ?

lol, lens doesn't even look like water bottle!

where was this, changi airport? :bsmilie:

you should be glad she did. people like her are working for our safety.

I got worse experiences ....

1)
went for a trip visiting some frens in I'sia ... was at Tg Balai, went pass immigration and put my stuff on scanner ... tt's where problem start ... was abt to leave the place when the customs officer asked me go to a room ...

Custom officer (C): Open (pointing to my luggage bags n my large camera bag)

<me guai guai open up though I know wats coming ... >

C: wats this (pointing to lugguage)
M: my clothes, my bible, my books ... etc etc etc
C: wats this (pointing to camera)
M: camera, lens, batts, flash
C: <smile smile and talk amongst themselves>
M: so OK?
C: fhasdjklgfsdjkgfsflkfhasjdhakldsl <in bahasa, I dun understand anything so dunno wat to type>
M: I dun understand u, any problems?
C2: <making some money signals by the side>
M: so no problems right?
C: fhasdjklgfsdjkgfsflkfhasjdhakldsl
M: I dun understand. I bring all these things into Bintan so many times and I dun have any problems. So is there a problem?
C: fhasdjklgfsdjkg ... Bintan ... fsflkfhasjdhakldsl
M: Ya, I go Bintan many times already.
C: fhasdjklgfsdjkgfsflkfhasjdhakldsl
M: So no problems, right? <pack up my bags and go .... >

2)

Many b-days ago ... went w frens to M'sia (Tg Sedili by boat) ... went w my telescopes and many other items ...

At customs, kana inspected cos there were only my frens and I in the only bumboat at the terminal ...

C: wat's this ...
M: my telescope, my bags, clothes, my computer, my etc etc etc ...
C: this one, must tax (pointing to my telescope, laptop and some other stuff)
M: ok, so wat is the basis of the tax? I mean why must tax?
C: Things buy in S'pore, bring in M'sia, must tax ...
M: u mean if I buy a car in Singapore, drive into M'sia, u are going to tax me?
C: Er ... Yes ...
M: <staring hard at her> Everything on me is bought in Singapore, inc my clothes. U are gg to tax me?
C: er ... you give list of things you bring into M'sia, when go out, come see me again to check ....
M: <gave her a list>

when I left a couple of days later, also bo chap her ... jus went on my way ....

you should be glad she did. people like her are working for our safety.
in this case it isn't so bad

i have heard of many experiences whereby there is abuse of authority though.. which makes me question whether we should better the screening process with regards to the people we give the authority to. i'm sure we could all do without over-zealousness and puffed-up attitudes when it comes to law enforcement, no?

can't complain though, have never gotten any trouble in this aspect. :bsmilie:

I got worse experiences ....

2)

Many b-days ago ... went w frens to M'sia (Tg Sedili by boat) ... went w my telescopes and many other items ...

At customs, kana inspected cos there were only my frens and I in the only bumboat at the terminal ...

C: wat's this ...
M: my telescope, my bags, clothes, my computer, my etc etc etc ...
C: this one, must tax (pointing to my telescope, laptop and some other stuff)
M: ok, so wat is the basis of the tax? I mean why must tax?
C: Things buy in S'pore, bring in M'sia, must tax ...
M: u mean if I buy a car in Singapore, drive into M'sia, u are going to tax me?
C: Er ... Yes ...
M: <staring hard at her> Everything on me is bought in Singapore, inc my clothes. U are gg to tax me?
C: er ... you give list of things you bring into M'sia, when go out, come see me again to check ....
M: <gave her a list>

when I left a couple of days later, also bo chap her ... jus went on my way ....

I don't see how this is a bad experience. The officer is doing her job to ensure you're not importing goods without paying import duty (which is done by comparing the list of goods when you entered the country with the goods you carry when you leave the country). This is standard practice in many countries, probably including Singapore. It is however disturbing that you're flouting the law. If the Malaysian authorities bothered/had the resources to detect/go after every small time criminal, you'd arguably be in danger of being arrested for smuggling/tax dodging next time you visit Malaysia.

Although not directly related to law enforcement, a church friend saw the rear cap of my friend's 70-200 sticking out of the camera bag (you know, when you slot your lenses in, only the rear cap shows up).

Pointing to it, she said, "can pass me some water?"

We all said we didn't have any water bottles on us, and she proceeded to point at the Canon rear cap. "That's not a water bottle meh?"

Sure as hell it is. A 2.9k water bottle. :bsmilie:

I don't see how this is a bad experience. The officer is doing her job to ensure you're not importing goods without paying import duty (which is done by comparing the list of goods when you entered the country with the goods you carry when you leave the country). This is standard practice in many countries, probably including Singapore. It is however disturbing that you're flouting the law. If the Malaysian authorities bothered/had the resources to detect/go after every small time criminal, you'd arguably be in danger of being arrested for smuggling/tax dodging next time you visit Malaysia.

1) based on the conversation depicted, assuming that situation was described accurately, this is nothing to do with what you have mentioned. there is a rough idea, but the officer obviously has not explained it properly

2) paradigm has not seemed to make any statement with regards to "smuggling/tax dodging". you seem to be stuffing words into his mouth, and making an attack on his character by stating that he is "flouting the law". i have never gotten any questioning like that and i go into malaysia regularly.

1) based on the conversation depicted, assuming that situation was described accurately, this is nothing to do with what you have mentioned. there is a rough idea, but the officer obviously has not explained it properly

2) paradigm has not seemed to make any statement with regards to "smuggling/tax dodging". you seem to be stuffing words into his mouth, and making an attack on his character by stating that he is "flouting the law". i have never gotten any questioning like that and i go into malaysia regularly.
He's really defensive, might be related =)

Although not directly related to law enforcement, a church friend saw the rear cap of my friend's 70-200 sticking out of the camera bag (you know, when you slot your lenses in, only the rear cap shows up).

Pointing to it, she said, "can pass me some water?"

We all said we didn't have any water bottles on us, and she proceeded to point at the Canon rear cap. "That's not a water bottle meh?"

Sure as hell it is. A 2.9k water bottle. :bsmilie:
wow then i better go get my own "water botttle" haha....

I am into manufacturing water bottles.

My next export shipment of water bottles will look like an L lens. It has a white body with a variable aperture to control the opening at the top and a shutter speed to control the flow of water into your mouth. :)

My next export shipment of water bottles will look like an L lens. It has a white body with a variable aperture to control the opening at the top and a shutter speed to control the flow of water into your mouth. :)
don't forget the IS button! stablised while you drink. :bsmilie:

For airport security goof ups, I take US airports as the golden benchmark. Despite my frequent visits to LAX, SFO, JFK, everything's quite smooth as far as camera gear is concerned.

good idea huh, waterbottle shapped like 70-200 lenses... be the first to do it... and give us all discounts ;)

on a side note, customs officials can be friendly and thorough at the same time... met one in Bali... he asked to check my bag but was very friendly while doing it ("oh, nice camera, you photographer? many things to take picture here ah...") :)

Status
Not open for further replies.