Does this count as Bokeh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

janicia

Sep 4, 2008
Singapore
7623_146999771283_679571283_2753523_4480907_n.jpg

7623_146999751283_679571283_2753519_2778834_n.jpg

Just wondering if these can be classified under bokeh or just really out of focused pictures.

thanks =)

Erm. Bokeh is the QUALITY of the out-of focus areas. So those are out-of-focus shots, but the bokeh from the light sources looks good.

There is NO such thing as a "bokeh picture".

this consider as blur picture wahaha..

Erm. Bokeh is the QUALITY of the out-of focus areas. So those are out-of-focus shots, but the bokeh from the light sources looks good.

There is NO such thing as a "bokeh picture".

Okayyyyy. Sorry for phrasing it that way. Anyway so how should i ask a qns regarding bokeh? thanks

Okayyyyy. Sorry for phrasing it that way. Anyway so how should i ask a qns regarding bokeh? thanks

You could say "is this good or bad bokeh" and then we'll take a look at the bokeh itself. :)

Hello, janicia. To my eyes, these pictures seemed out of focus because especially important, the wall is OOF.

Hello, janicia. To my eyes, these pictures seemed out of focus because especially important, the wall is OOF.

Ahh... Okay so I'm to keep the wall in focus? Hmm. but wouldn't it look weird? Haha. Just wondering. Maybe I should try it again next time. =) thanks thanks!

you need to know the definition of bokeh in the first place

Mr Catchlights has posted some links for you to read

Ahh... Okay so I'm to keep the wall in focus? Hmm. but wouldn't it look weird? Haha. Just wondering. Maybe I should try it again next time. =) thanks thanks!

Nah. If your target was to blur the whole pic, then that's your goal.

Maybe if I could clarify, what I meant was, in a picture there should be at least a subject that has to be in focus. In your example, I sincerely do not see any subject that is in focus. What do you think?

you need to know the definition of bokeh in the first place

Mr Catchlights has posted some links for you to read

Erm I tried reading them but its not very clear to me. Haha. do i always need something in focus in the picture? what about those that only have spots of lights (don't know what they're called)??

Maybe if I could clarify, what I meant was, in a picture there should be at least a subject that has to be in focus. In your example, I sincerely do not see any subject that is in focus. What do you think?

As above, haha.

Last edited:
Uh from the pictures you posted, it looks more like u were trying to capture trail of light from LED light/handphone over long exposure. Just that you couldn't get the focus right on the trail of light. I think can see the trailOlight shape of the man and the saint with red halo. Good concept, execution can be better? Or did I guess wrongly?

Uh from the pictures you posted, it looks more like u were trying to capture trail of light from LED light/handphone over long exposure. Just that you couldn't get the focus right on the trail of light. I think can see the trailOlight shape of the man and the saint with red halo. Good concept, execution can be better? Or did I guess wrongly?

Haha thanks something like that. =) But the oof wasnt on purpose. =X Just wondering if these pictures were okay.

were you trying to do light painting? looks like so.

if that was your objective, prefocus your camera (manual focus) on the area where you will be doing the painting before shooting the image.

were you trying to do light painting? looks like so.

if that was your objective, prefocus your camera (manual focus) on the area where you will be doing the painting before shooting the image.

Yepp we were trying to do a light painting. haha a few of the pictures were like that, oof. the rest were okay though. i think because i was using the autofocus which made the picture turn out blur >.< so was just wondering whether this counted as bokeh (how do you use this word in a sentence?? O.O)? Haha. but nevermind. Doesnt matter. =)

in some cases, a "bokeh" only image can be artistic too, but your highlights in the bokeh may need to be bigger, or perhaps "reshaped" for better effect ahha...

353392636_30c215ff3d.jpg

see this link for example on how to do it : http://www.diyphotography.net/diy_create_your_own_bokeh

wahhhh!!! heartshapes!!! :heart:thanks for the link!!

I think you should focus on an object first and then lock that focus to create the light painting. Once there is a focused object, the blurring around should be considered bokeh. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.