does this composition work?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zaknafein

Oct 29, 2005
my room
www.flickr.com
shot this at the old SJI.... currently is an art museum ;)
need some comments, thank you. need practise at looking out for details and composition.
TIA

DSCF3059e1s.jpg

pretty ok to a newbie like me, but prefer to see it wider. :)

I find the composition has potential, and I particularly like the divide in exposure. With regards to the composition, I find that if it's perfectly balanced that might(note might) have been more impactful. Currently, the darker side occupies more real estate and there's a slight tilt where the central line is. I'd prefer it with the bottom corner just touching the edge of the frame too, but that's just me.

Try exploring a little more with this idea, it will probably result in something much better than this. More please!

thank you for the comments ExplorerZ and Stoned.

stoned: hmm, what do u mean by the darker side occupies more real estate? the tilt is my fault, will have to be more careful next time :)
i was infact trying to get the bottom corner at the edge... but i couldnt move back any more, i was up against a wall ;)

thank you for the comments ExplorerZ and Stoned.

stoned: hmm, what do u mean by the darker side occupies more real estate? the tilt is my fault, will have to be more careful next time :)
i was infact trying to get the bottom corner at the edge... but i couldnt move back any more, i was up against a wall ;)

he meant that the photo is not perfectly balanced. Although the center line is at the center of the photo, you were shooting at an angle which ended up wiht the darker side has more wall surface compared to the brighter side. Also agree with Stoned that if u could have included the bottom corner.

I guess this could be explained by you being blocked by the wall

to me it looks too cluttered. it might work for me if only the first window + door on the right and the first 2 doors on the left are in the frame... and leave out the lamps... I dont know... its an architecture shot, it doesn't seem to tell any story. aesthetically it might be ok when its simpler, but it has to tell a story as well for it to hit the viewer...

It seems balance because the corner is right at the center. But actually I dont think it's balance at all. On the left, the wall is perfectly flat while on the right side, the wall is a bit curve and tilted (like someone have said above). I dont know whether the wall is curve like that.

So, I think the concept is interesting, but it would be better if it were perfectly balance or symmetry

he meant that the photo is not perfectly balanced. Although the center line is at the center of the photo, you were shooting at an angle which ended up wiht the darker side has more wall surface compared to the brighter side. Also agree with Stoned that if u could have included the bottom corner.

I guess this could be explained by you being blocked by the wall

so, what u meant was that, i was tilting the camera more towards the darker side (hence more wall)? or could that be caused by the slight curve at the darker wall? (sorry, maybe i misinterpreted, but to my eyes the bright side and dark side seems to have equal wall surface)

yeah, i agree the pic should be better with the bottom corner included. :)

thanks for commenting!

to me it looks too cluttered. it might work for me if only the first window + door on the right and the first 2 doors on the left are in the frame... and leave out the lamps... I dont know... its an architecture shot, it doesn't seem to tell any story. aesthetically it might be ok when its simpler, but it has to tell a story as well for it to hit the viewer...

thank you, point noted. as u say, i think its a bit too cluttered

It seems balance because the corner is right at the center. But actually I dont think it's balance at all. On the left, the wall is perfectly flat while on the right side, the wall is a bit curve and tilted (like someone have said above). I dont know whether the wall is curve like that.

So, I think the concept is interesting, but it would be better if it were perfectly balance or symmetry

yes, the wall is curved a bit to the right. thanks for ur input :)

Actually it can be very interesting as the left wall is straight and the right wall is curved. Perhaps trying to using a wider lens and then crop the pic can have dramatic effect.

Actually it can be very interesting as the left wall is straight and the right wall is curved. Perhaps trying to using a wider lens and then crop the pic can have dramatic effect.
djchris said:
Yeah..but that'll be the lense to make this composition work. Just suggesting...

thanks for the suggestion :)

Status
Not open for further replies.