Does the photolab affect sharpness ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcwang

Jan 9, 2003
East Singapore
www.pbase.com
Hie,

Just like to know if the sharpness of a coloured photo differ from lab to lab ? I know colour does... and pple tell me, no... sharpness is due to lense. I dont exactly stick to a single developer .... sometimes I go for the 9.90/roll type, sometimes I go to pricier ones, depending on location.
Some of my photos are a bit soft ard the edges and this is consistent for an entire roll. Some are razor sharp. For instance I have one roll of ISO 200 superia shot at the beach on a blazing sunny day ( 1/1000 shutter speed sometimes), and it turning out slightly soft when developing at the foto lab at excelsior ( kodak royal paper/$9.90 ). Another roll was shot on a sunny day as well, using the same lense, but this time developed at Soo Kee foto (fuji/35c per piece) at lucky plaza, superb colours and really super sharp.
I believe that at 1/1000s , blur due to camera shake is almost impossible.
I know the best way is to develop the same roll at 2 places to compare, but, quite a waste of money.

What do you think ?

Yes, the lab has a part to play in the sharpness of the final print. Whether in the traditional lab and the digital labs so common nowadays, there's a lens in the minilab machine. That lens can affect picture quality as well. And in the case of digital minilabs, the amount of sharpening applied can also be adjusted.

Regards
CK

certainly does...some lab give crispy sharpness and some give u dunno what..same goes to the softening...some do good softening and some give u blur......

Where do u guys develop your stuff . Suggest the good labs, and maybe those that dont deliver. Thanks.
Basically I develop my prints at Serangoon Ave 4 Kodak Colour, KONOTA at Peninsular, SOO KEE at Lucky plaza and the 9.90/roll shop at excelsior. Generally, SOO KEE prints are the best among the lot, and the 9.90/roll shop gives vibrant colours but rather soft on the edges.

Status
Not open for further replies.