Does the merger means no more free newspaper?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CyberDoo

Sep 9, 2004
jiak lak, how to drink my morning kopi without the free newspaper?? :think:

Introducing competition in some industries in singapore is such a wasteful exercise. who loses money? the players were bleeding for 4 years. To think who is behind all this. Temasek holdings ?

CyberDoo said:
jiak lak, how to drink my morning kopi without the free newspaper?? :think:

Dun think they will stop the free newspaper....so after the merger, we will
probably get "Today's Streat" ?

showtime said:
instead of 2 free papers, now only 1 free paper...

whether it is one FREE paper remains to be seen.

BOO!!!

I loved Channel U.

Does the merger mean that Channel U (if it still exists) won't be as interesting as it is?
:cry:

Have lah... I think the arrangement goes like this...

SPH take over Today. So basically its bye-bye Today's Today. I think.
Den Mediacorp take over Channel U and i.

There's a possibility of Channel i shutting down though. Though Channel U will still function (thankfully, otherwise, there goes all my TVB serials). As for the free newspaper thing, I think it'll still go on. There might be riots, demonstration and mass looting if they stop it.... :eek:

It would be great if there is still free newspaper, and yes! Channel U rocks!

Today will continue to exist and continue to be free. The Streats name will be incorporated into Today. So it might be Streats Today or Today's Streats or something like that. This is in the articles on the media consolidation.

More importantly, whatever little 'freedom' we had from having two different newspaper publishers (and therefore, supposedly, more points of view) is gone for good. Today did try to have some alternative views while maintaining the national development model of the press here.

One step forward, two steps back.

To be honest, I am personally not affected that much after this piece of news was announced.

Yes, it WOULD have be a major disappointment for me before I have cable. But now, I have cable and I have better quality and educational programs like Animal Planet, NG Channel and Discovery Channel.

I gave up on MediaCorp's programs and drama series a long time ago, when they were called TCS rather than MediaCorp. I truly feel that during those days when they were called SBC, their programs had better content than the ones we are watching today.

Channel U's variety shows are really the only ones worth watching, because they have shown better content and originality, rather than just imidating from other countries.

Some of my colleagues, especially the news department since they are affected the most, are deeply worried, saddened and angry when this decision is announced because this could only mean that some of them are going to be axed. They feel that the "upper level" executives are using them like a pawn and playing this game.

Regards,
-Michelle- :D

There are many without access to cable programmes. Your view touches on one side of the coin ie. tv programmes. The other side is printed media. Losing one paper may mean losing the push for alternative views.

Of course, the reality is that heads will roll despite assurances from their mgt.

jsbn said:
Have lah... I think the arrangement goes like this...

SPH take over Today. So basically its bye-bye Today's Today. I think.
Den Mediacorp take over Channel U and i.

There's a possibility of Channel i shutting down though. Though Channel U will still function (thankfully, otherwise, there goes all my TVB serials). As for the free newspaper thing, I think it'll still go on. There might be riots, demonstration and mass looting if they stop it.... :eek:

SPH holds only 40% of new entity Today's Streats I believe, so I am not sure if it's bye bye to Today or Streats. SPH holds only 10% of new Mediacock TV. So I guess it's manipulation of terms just for the sake of saving face. But for sure, the quality of media here will going down to drain. Basically I think both companies never going all out for profit, and in conjuction also quality, just to protect local interest.

mich_2103 said:
To be honest, I am personally not affected that much after this piece of news was announced...

... Some of my colleagues, especially the news department since they are affected the most, are deeply worried, saddened and angry when this decision is announced because this could only mean that some of them are going to be axed. They feel that the "upper level" executives are using them like a pawn and playing this game.
I'm surprised you can be so blase about this whole situation both on the macro level - regarding media competition - and on the micro level - with regards to your colleagues - given that you work in MediaCorp. (Assuming that the MediaCorp journos are the ones who should fear for their jobs since SPH is the big fish in the pond.)

heh heh, please hor. opinions oni. dun get personal. thx. :bsmilie:

mich_2103 said:
To be honest, I am personally not affected that much after this piece of news was announced.

Yes, it WOULD have be a major disappointment for me before I have cable. But now, I have cable and I have better quality and educational programs like Animal Planet, NG Channel and Discovery Channel.

I gave up on MediaCorp's programs and drama series a long time ago, when they were called TCS rather than MediaCorp. I truly feel that during those days when they were called SBC, their programs had better content than the ones we are watching today.

Channel U's variety shows are really the only ones worth watching, because they have shown better content and originality, rather than just imidating from other countries.

Some of my colleagues, especially the news department since they are affected the most, are deeply worried, saddened and angry when this decision is announced because this could only mean that some of them are going to be axed. They feel that the "upper level" executives are using them like a pawn and playing this game.

Regards,
Such is the way of the corporate world.

Employees exists for their job, for their pay packet, for their bread. Employers, the big bosses, make big sweeping broadstrokes on the big picture.

I suppose if the day comes where the big bosses get down to earth to empathise and sympathise with the workers is the day when the company closes down forever. Cos the big boss himself will oso be outta a job, thus he feels.

Sad but true... :(

CyberDoo said:
heh heh, please hor. opinions oni. dun get personal. thx. :bsmilie:
Errr... I've re-read what I wrote. I don't think I was being personal. I was giving my reaction to her reaction. To summarise what I wrote in as neutral language as possible: I am surprised at her reaction. I hope that's not considered 'getting personal'.

acroamatic said:
I'm surprised you can be so blase about this whole situation both on the macro level - regarding media competition - and on the micro level - with regards to your colleagues - given that you work in MediaCorp. (Assuming that the MediaCorp journos are the ones who should fear for their jobs since SPH is the big fish in the pond.)
Hey acroamatic,
Personally, I have find your reply(s) very interesting and I definitely do not find it offensive or personal. :)

However one thing though, I NEVER mentioned or stated any time before this thread that I am an employee from MediaCorp.

I am just a fresh grad, currently freelancing, bumming around and getting to know more people and gaining experience.

My response for the merger was from a current colleague of mine, and we happened to be working on a same project at the moment. Most of us are freelancers, and the majority of them also freelances for either SPH or MediaCorp.

And no matter what happens in the future, there will STILL be NO freedom of speech in Singapore and all mass media will still be controlled and filtered by the government, regardless of the reports in papers that the government has no interference in this. Personally, I find that hard to believe, especially right after we have a new prime minister.

Do not believe ENTIRELY what the papers say. As civilians, sometimes you have to think and analyze certain things for yourself. On certain situations, it is the government who is controlling us how to think and perceive for a certain scenario.

All right all right!! Enough said, before I get myself in trouble with the law! ;)

And I certainly hope I have answered all your questions. :)

Regards,

mich_2103 said:
And no matter what happens in the future, there will STILL be NO freedom of speech in Singapore and all mass media will still be controlled and filtered by the government, regardless of the reports in papers that the government has no interference in this. Personally, I find that hard to believe, especially right after we have a new prime minister.

Do not believe ENTIRELY what the papers say. As civilians, sometimes you have to think and analyze certain things for yourself. On certain situations, it is the government who is controlling us how to think and perceive for a certain scenario.

Well said !
Same sentimental.

Status
Not open for further replies.