Does the local media respect intellectual property of local photographers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
A story about how Straits Times and Today sometimes overlook crediting the local photographers properly, never mind paying for the photographers.

I think there has been a fair bit of discussion here about this topic and I think one of our prominent CS photog has also challenged ST some time back ... But i think the answer is a NO ... :cry:

What do you expect. Of course not.

A story about how Straits Times and Today sometimes overlook crediting the local photographers properly, never mind paying for the photographers.

http://redsports.sg/2009/01/25/copyright-credit-sph/
if you want to be sure but somewhat obtrusive, place the copyright right in the middle of the photos and make it as long as possible so that they do not photoshop things on top to mask the copyright..

should i worry about my avatar? :sweatsm:

should i worry about my avatar? :sweatsm:

Yeah... should definitely worry like this!

I shot a portrait of a reknown furniture designer Patricia Urquiola and it was published in business times...no credit at all
when i look at all the other photos in business times, its credited to either foreign agencies or SPH's own photographer.

if i may comment, so far in my dealings with ST and other people from the media, they had been very professional in so far as copyrights to images. They will get a photographer to do the shoot and will select from them. even when i offered them some images out of convenience, they refused to accept them as they hinted the company has very strict rules on image publication. They always prefer to produce their own pictures. (A 1 series Canon body is a norm as the company can afford these).

For the odd cases here, clearly some were misguided or did it out of deliberation against the co guidelines.

Another way the paparazzi does it is to take a picture of the picture (eg a picture on wall or picture stand). That way, they can claim the photo is theirs.

if i may comment, so far in my dealings with ST and other people from the media, they had been very professional in so far as copyrights to images. They will get a photographer to do the shoot and will select from them. even when i offered them some images out of convenience, they refused to accept them as they hinted the company has very strict rules on image publication. They always prefer to produce their own pictures. (A 1 series Canon body is a norm as the company can afford these).

For the odd cases here, clearly some were misguided or did it out of deliberation against the co guidelines.

Another way the paparazzi does it is to take a picture of the picture (eg a picture on wall or picture stand). That way, they can claim the photo is theirs.

Sure they do. :rolleyes:

Taking a photo of a photo would very likely be copyright infringement.

Status
Not open for further replies.