does the country u go determine what lens you bring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeanie

May 19, 2005
"what lens to bring????"- i know this question has been asked to death.

but let's put this in another perspective.

does the country you are visiting dictates what lens you should/would bring?
say....paris vs cambodia?japan vs thailand?

i'm facing this problem soon.
problem is...i really have too many lenses:embrass:, and hence too many choices as to what i want to bring.
what's worse is some lens i have overlaps each other in focal length.eg, 14-24, 17-35, 17-55, 24-80, 50.

so do u picture a country's scenary and you decide what lens you want to bring?
if not, wat make u decide on the lens to bring eventually?portability?

it depends on the amount of walking i will be doing

for example, in a city, you would probably not need to worry that much about weight; since there are a lot of places to rest, you should not get fatigued so easily.. and if all else fails you can keep returning to your hotel room.

as opposed to say, the countryside. it all matters about how your plans are. how you are moving around. if you are going to have a car, the only lugging you will do is between airport and lodgings.

to be honest, during travel, anything goes; when i was in italy i only had the 10-20 because only wanted to bring hand luggage, a bit limited. recently in hong kong i tried with 3 lenses (50mm/18-55 for ir/10-20) and it was also fine.

more importantly, i feel, you need the correct mentality, and a tripod so that if you want a night shot you will not miss it.

i think you will not get any absolutely correct replies here, some people like shooting longer shots, some people like extremely wide shots.. it all depends on your style - how do you remember your travels, how do you want to remember them, what sort of shots you want out of them.. i always remember and visualise things in extreme detail, which is why i favour the 10-20, even though a lot would probably say that it is not a good range. :dunno:

Bring only one lens enough ler... the 18-200mm
Does the country only allow you to bring one lens or are you lazy to bring 2 or 3 that can cover more range?
Fisheye to Africa sounds cool.:)

Just to share.

Yes the country I goes will be a consideration of what i will bring.

But for me, the significance is not what kind of pics to take, but more of how heavy my equipment will be and how catchy (to others) i think my equipment will look. To me, safety is more impt than any other issues when overseas. Also, bring out heavy stuff can kill the joy of travelling.

I guess if you want scenic, best will be a wide lens. I know you have a lot of good lenses, but i really think a Nikon 18-70 is a good choice for travelling, its quite small.

When i go overseas, i use a small prosumer camera. :D It's just me, i enjoy travelling light.

i don't have many lens so i don't have your dilemma :) i'll bring 18-200mm OC (can be heavy after some walking) and 50mm f1.4. the former gives me choice while the latter is useful in low-light conditions.

when i travel, i usually bring a few lenses with me. but after a few trips, i realized i shot practically everything with my 18-200 VR. a few reasons:
- very flexible range
- most of the time, it is bright enough outdoors not to switch to faster lenses
- when shooting night scenes, i use a tripod

in your case, with d3's low noise performance at high iso... the 18-200 could be a lens to rule them all. if you stop down to f/8 or so... it can be extremely sharp.

I am having this delima now. It also depends on who you go with. If I go with my photography friends, I will bring more but if with family, just basic ones lor. My trip next week I think will be bringing 3 of my lens, 17-40, 50mm or 90mm, 70-200f2.8IS or 400 f5.6. I will most probrably bring my lighter body, the 40D.

Or another option, buy more lenses oversea lor.. haha.

when i travel, i usually bring a few lenses with me. but after a few trips, i realized i shot practically everything with my 18-200 VR. a few reasons:
- very flexible range
- most of the time, it is bright enough outdoors not to switch to faster lenses
- when shooting night scenes, i use a tripod

in your case, with d3's low noise performance at high iso... the 18-200 could be a lens to rule them all. if you stop down to f/8 or so... it can be extremely sharp.

i love the 18-200 for travel.but since i've gotten a d3, i should make full use of the FF and 12 mp, instead of using the 18-200 and it will only give me 5mp to play with.

18-200 though versatile, but in terms of bokeh at 200mm, for eg, loses hands down to say...70-200 VR 2.8.

and at the extreme wide ends, 18mm, the 14-24 will definitely win, in terms of sharpness, as well as wide angle coverage.
the only negative point is the weight.the 14-24 weighs like a ton after 5 mins.

as much as i will be paying for a personal porter, but he couldnt help me with the load that's on my neck (eg, D3+14-24).
:cry:

i think the future of digital photography should be that they start to manufacture lenses that weighs half less than what it should be now.

I just bring all my lenses, simple as that.

if i only have 3 lenses, i really wouldnt have started this topic.
problem is...i really have too many lenses and i love them all.
and all of them are saying to me..."bring me...bring me"!
they seem to jump in enthusiasm in the dri-cabis.:what:

I always bring enough lense to cover most of the areas in photography....

Confirm Bring -
1x Super Wide Angle - Sigma 10-20mm
1x Telephoto - EF-S 55-250mm IS
1x Walkabout - Sigma 18-125mm or Tamron 17-35mm or EF 17-40 L

Maybe Bring -
1x EF-S 60mm Macro
1x EF 50mm f1.4

Misc - depending.....
Benro Tripod
Monopod

if i only have 3 lenses, i really wouldnt have started this topic.
problem is...i really have too many lenses and i love them all.
and all of them are saying to me..."bring me...bring me"!
they seem to jump in enthusiasm in the dri-cabis.:what:

bring your dry cabi along then! :bsmilie:

my travel pack:
- 10-22
- 17-55
- 70-200
- 580exII

To me... if I can take the weight... I will bring everything.... if not, it will depends on the kind of picture I want to take. :D

The simple answer is no, the country does not determine the lens I bring.

What actually determines the choice of lens is what I work most comfortably with as well as the type of photography I do. I used to go with a 28 and 50 when I was shooting film, with the 28 being used most of the time. Now it's mostly a 14-45 on a cropped format. Sure, there will be missed shots and opportunities, but I guess that's a compromise that you are willing to make? since you asked this question in the first place.

bring your dry cabi along then! :bsmilie:

my travel pack:
- 10-22
- 17-55
- 70-200
- 580exII

My typical load-out for 2-week trip:
- 17-35
- 28-75
- 100-400
- x1.4 teleconverter/tripod

Short/weekend trips to m'sia or indonesia, I just bring along 28-75..

just my say.. ;)

I think the TS has a rich man problem.

Sell off some lens and your prob will be gone.

If you cannot bear to sell any particular one, that's the one to bring.

Or else, just do it and you will have your own answer which no one, other than you, can advise.

for an all purpose, light weight fx travelling kit, I would recommend: 17-35, 28-105, 70-300... should be pretty portable and with lenses of decent quality without scaring the natives with huge lenses pointing at their faces... :)

or if you want to bring all the big guns, you could get one of these... the BigDog :lovegrin:

Status
Not open for further replies.