does stopping down always make image sharper?


Status
Not open for further replies.
#1
i read alot of reviews which commented that stopping down the lens to f5.6 or f8 makes the image sharper compared to f2.8

now i was wondering if stopping down to f22 or f32 will also keep the image sharp or does it start to coz the image to also lose its crispness??

(speaking for general lens)

thanks
 

billpepsi

New Member
Jan 2, 2005
1,269
0
0
The 3rd Rock
#3
haagen_dazs said:
i read alot of reviews which commented that stopping down the lens to f5.6 or f8 makes the image sharper compared to f2.8

now i was wondering if stopping down to f22 or f32 will also keep the image sharp or does it start to coz the image to also lose its crispness??

(speaking for general lens)

thanks
Lens has sweet spot, so stopping down does improve the sharpness from corner to corner. For optimal sharpness, need to refer to MTF chart, but usually from ~f8 onwards.
 

espn

Deregistered
Dec 20, 2002
21,905
0
0
Planet Nikon
#4
Yup... that's true. The sweet spot of the glass is usually towards the center, stepping down the aperture concentrates the light towards the center of the glass.

The f/2.8 glasses normally perform well at f/2.8, but when stepped down to f/4 and down, the quality does get better.
 

Watcher

Senior Member
Feb 9, 2003
2,307
0
0
The heart of the Abyss
Visit site
#5
Always? No. Like others have said, each lens design has it own sweet spot, the optimal point in lens performance. An example is the 58mm Noct. If you step down past f/5.6, the quality degrades significantly...
 

bigmouse

New Member
Jul 10, 2003
604
0
0
spore
img9.photobucket.com
#7
haagen_dazs said:
i read alot of reviews which commented that stopping down the lens to f5.6 or f8 makes the image sharper compared to f2.8

now i was wondering if stopping down to f22 or f32 will also keep the image sharp or does it start to coz the image to also lose its crispness??

(speaking for general lens)

thanks
From what I read, most lens sweet spot (sharpness) is f8-11. Subject will never be sharp/focus if it falls outside dof.

So some form of judgement is required for the kind of subject of interest & selecting optimal composition helps keep subject of interest in focus/sharpenss/

my pov only.
 

Mar 16, 2005
198
0
0
#9
morng all, i played with 1.4 and 1.8 on the 50, keeps finding that sometime in focus sometime out...accdg some posts on the internet its becos the plane of focus is very thin, a slight miscalibration or shift its out.

does anyone here have any experience to share on this, how best counter? as no one can really tell for sure if a shot is dead on in a smallish LCD display as vs the monitor. one thing i can think of myself is at such low apt do everything on manual, but sometime i cant even trust my own eyes (no spects) to ascertain the exact focal pt!

thks bros
 

student

Senior Member
Jul 26, 2004
3,078
0
0
#10
haagen_dazs said:
thanks for some of the replies

how do i find the sweet spot?is it from literature and the MTF charts or from trial and error?
Without trying to be too technical, (And which I am not capable of anyway)

as a general guide, it is about two stops from its widest aperture.
 

behyx

Senior Member
Jun 15, 2002
2,652
0
36
35
SG
www.danielbeh.com
#11
itisnottheendorg said:
morng all, i played with 1.4 and 1.8 on the 50, keeps finding that sometime in focus sometime out...accdg some posts on the internet its becos the plane of focus is very thin, a slight miscalibration or shift its out.

does anyone here have any experience to share on this, how best counter? as no one can really tell for sure if a shot is dead on in a smallish LCD display as vs the monitor. one thing i can think of myself is at such low apt do everything on manual, but sometime i cant even trust my own eyes (no spects) to ascertain the exact focal pt!

thks bros
well, one way is to change/modify your camera focus screen to a split-screen one! This's what i did. :)

to check whether is the image OOF or sharp from the LCD, use the zoom function. after every picture if you feel it's important and want to check on the spot, just zoom the preview pic to the max. If it's deemed blur to you, take again on the spot! :)
 

kahheng

Senior Member
Jan 20, 2002
1,481
1
38
bride.ru
#13
student said:
Without trying to be too technical, (And which I am not capable of anyway)

as a general guide, it is about two stops from its widest aperture.
Surely that would depend on the camera format, and the lens :bsmilie:
 

zaren

Moderator
Staff member
Oct 27, 2003
10,964
31
48
#14
haagen_dazs said:
i read alot of reviews which commented that stopping down the lens to f5.6 or f8 makes the image sharper compared to f2.8

now i was wondering if stopping down to f22 or f32 will also keep the image sharp or does it start to coz the image to also lose its crispness??

(speaking for general lens)

thanks
stopping down the lens means shooting at slower shutter speeds. if you hand-hold your camera, you are more likely to get unsharp photos due to camera shake. if you are using a tripod, and are shooting a static subject, for example a landscape, then stopping down the lens will give you a sharper image. i suppose that's why the f64 club was formed....the obtain the ultimate sharpness and detail in a photograph.
 

F5user

New Member
Oct 15, 2004
930
0
0
B.Timah, New york, SoCal.
#15
kahheng said:
Surely that would depend on the camera format, and the lens :bsmilie:
very true...

and also the "sweet spot" of the lense, which actually becomes bigger and more apparent as you go further into bigger formats.

I'm using 2 different Fujinon EBC lenses for my 4x5 and when stopped down to F64.... WHHHOOOOOOHHH... it's sharp like siao.. can even see the bi sai of the tourist at the opposite side of the lake. (hehehehe)

BUT.. with a different Rodenstock i use as a tele, the sweet spot comes into play at around F22-32...

just my input here...

on how to achieve the sweet spot, go through the links above .... very helpful. :thumbsup:
 

smallaperture

Senior Member
Jan 5, 2004
2,441
0
0
Catchment Area
#16
bigmouse said:
From what I read, most lens sweet spot (sharpness) is f8-11. Subject will never be sharp/focus if it falls outside dof.

So some form of judgement is required for the kind of subject of interest & selecting optimal composition helps keep subject of interest in focus/sharpenss/

my pov only.
Stopping down increases the DOF, so that you get better sharpness for every part of your subject. Unless you're shooting roti-prata or some other flat item, and with the plane of the subject parallel to the film plane/sensor plane, then no diff. For portraits for example, stopping down would give you sharper focus on all parts of the body, including nose, ears, arms and legs.

So stopping down get you to the optimum aperture and increase DOF - better result due to 2 reasons.
 

#17
after reading the articles. i guess you are using a larger format camera for f64..
coz pass f22, image degrades for 35mm cameras..


F5user said:
very true...

and also the "sweet spot" of the lense, which actually becomes bigger and more apparent as you go further into bigger formats.

I'm using 2 different Fujinon EBC lenses for my 4x5 and when stopped down to F64.... WHHHOOOOOOHHH... it's sharp like siao.. can even see the bi sai of the tourist at the opposite side of the lake. (hehehehe)

BUT.. with a different Rodenstock i use as a tele, the sweet spot comes into play at around F22-32...

just my input here...

on how to achieve the sweet spot, go through the links above .... very helpful. :thumbsup:
 

student

Senior Member
Jul 26, 2004
3,078
0
0
#18
kahheng said:
Surely that would depend on the camera format, and the lens :bsmilie:
You are right!

But we are addressing haagen_dazs. question. He/she is talking about an aperure of f2.8.

I think there are very few 4x5 lenses that have a wide aperture of 2.8.

And since he asked such a question, my assumption is that he is relatively new. All these led me to conclude that he is talking about 35 mm lenses.
 

student

Senior Member
Jul 26, 2004
3,078
0
0
#19
F5user said:
very true...

and also the "sweet spot" of the lense, which actually becomes bigger and more apparent as you go further into bigger formats.

I'm using 2 different Fujinon EBC lenses for my 4x5 and when stopped down to F64.... WHHHOOOOOOHHH... it's sharp like siao.. can even see the bi sai of the tourist at the opposite side of the lake. (hehehehe)

BUT.. with a different Rodenstock i use as a tele, the sweet spot comes into play at around F22-32...

just my input here...

on how to achieve the sweet spot, go through the links above .... very helpful. :thumbsup:
I think there are two different things here.

"Optimum performance of a lens" and "Depth of field".

When you talked about f64 you are talking about depth of field, not optimum performance of the lens.
 

kahheng

Senior Member
Jan 20, 2002
1,481
1
38
bride.ru
#20
student said:
You are right!

But we are addressing haagen_dazs. question. He/she is talking about an aperure of f2.8.

I think there are very few 4x5 lenses that have a wide aperture of 2.8.

And since he asked such a question, my assumption is that he is relatively new. All these led me to conclude that he is talking about 35 mm lenses.
As usual, your reply so very 'considered' one :bsmilie:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom