Does size of camera viewfinder matter to you?

Does size of camera viewfinder matter to you?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garion

Nov 26, 2002
West side of S'pore
Visit site
For me it does, a great deal, what about you? A bright, big viewfinder is important to me, coz not only does it aid in focusing, composing/framing, but it lets you 'see' more clearly as more light is hitting your retina. Simply put, I hate small, dim viewfinders. :thumbsd: Not pointing fingers at any specific brand but I think some of the VF really sucks, on those entry level or even mid range DSLR. It takes a lot of squinting to see thru them and I hate that. ;(

So far what is your favourite camera viewfinder? Most SLR film cameras by the major manufacturers from mid range level up have pretty good VF. For mid range DSLR cameras, the best VF so far is the Konica Minolta Dynax 7D's one. Super bright and clear. If only the 'C' brand would take the hint and make their VFs on their mid range DSLR equally as good. :sweatsm: I also like the Canon 1 series VF, and Nikon's D2* series for pro body level VF. But I do wish the camera manufacturers would come out with decent VF for the mid and lower range bodies. I understand that design has a lot to do with it, a smaller size camera means smaller mirror box, smaller reflex mirror (due to the cropped sensor) smaller pentaprism chamber etc. Hence the vf has to be smaller, and this in turn alows less light in. Do you think the companies have the technology to create better vf in the next crop of entry/mid level DSLR cameras? e.g by using new materials, design techniques?

the link doesn't show any comparison of VF mag.

actually i agree that a big and bright view finder does help in composing and eye relief....

I use a Dynax 5D and I'm quite spoilt due to it large view finder.

smtan24 said:
I use a Dynax 5D and I'm quite spoilt due to it large view finder.

Try looking through your Dynax 5D's VF .. and try the 7D's ... a vast difference.

I tried it.

You should too .. then your opinion will change :p

big big viewfinder is cool. Especially when shooing model can have better eye to eye contact :lovegrin:

DarkForce said:
big big viewfinder is cool. Especially when shooing model can have better eye to eye contact :lovegrin:
Yah and can even see clearly enough to focus on her eyelashes. :lovegrin:

dEthANGeL said:
Try looking through your Dynax 5D's VF .. and try the 7D's ... a vast difference.

I tried it.

You should too .. then your opinion will change :p
If I own Canon 350D and suddenly one fine day look thru a Konica Minolta D7D VF, I think I will switch to KM liao. :p

sljm said:
actually i agree that a big and bright view finder does help in composing and eye relief....
The eye relief thing is a big big factor too. Imagine looking thru a small dim VF all day long for an assignment or shoot, your left/right eye will have permanent 'tunnel vision'. :sweat:

Garion said:
Yah and can even see clearly enough to focus on her eyelashes. :lovegrin:

Then you go get Canon MP-E 65mm to shoot on her eyelashes better still loh :sticktong :bsmilie:

DarkForce said:
Then you go get Canon MP-E 65mm to shoot on her eyelashes better still loh :sticktong :bsmilie:
Well I not as rich as you lar. :sticktong I can only use 50mm f1.8. :embrass:

I've only experienced the viewfinder of my 300D, and it's the best I know of :) Though I would imagine that a brighter, or bigger viewfinder would be more fun. I think that camera manufacturers should try their best to implement bigger, brighter viewfinders in their entry level/mid level cameras (for my sake), but I don't know how they would go about it. If they manage to find new technology or designs to make it bigger and brighter, then I hope they put it in! :) If they have new materials, design techniques to do this, then I also want them to put it in! I want them to put everything in so I can benefit :p

i went to CP n they recommended the olympus me1 eyepiece magnifier for my 350d- its 1.2x n costs 80 bucks. is it worth?

honda said:
i went to CP n they recommended the olympus me1 eyepiece magnifier for my 350d- its 1.2x n costs 80 bucks. is it worth?

IMHO, 1.2x is not good enough. I attached a 2X angle finder to my 350D and its wow. Now where can I get a 2X straight view finder. I cant use the angle finder on normal shooting.

Anyone know where to get a canon magnifier S?

DarkForce said:

and if it is capable of transmitting 'electricity' from the user behind the VF to the model... I'll buy that camera :devil:

back to the topic - mine's a small VF. I find it especially tiring looking thru it if I have my spectacles on. Haven't looked thru any big VF, so, I don't know what I'm missing actually.

DeSwitch said:
IMHO, 1.2x is not good enough. I attached a 2X angle finder to my 350D and its wow. Now where can I get a 2X straight view finder. I cant use the angle finder on normal shooting.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a 2x angle finder and where can I get one too? My tiny 350D viewfinder is driving me nuts!

angle finder makes u look down into the viewfinder rather than look forward

Status
Not open for further replies.