Does size of camera viewfinder matter to you?

Does size of camera viewfinder matter to you?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ShutterBugL said:
Pardon my ignorance, but what's a 2x angle finder and where can I get one too? My tiny 350D viewfinder is driving me nuts!

search in consumer section and you will be able to find one. I got mine from PQ23. Not canon brand but Seagull. Canon C-finder is very expensive. But only use it for macro and akward angles. Still not use to the 90 Deg angle orientation.

JediForce4ever said:
Does the amount of light that is let in through the VF affects the AF speed?

no, it doesn't. cos the light that falls on the AF sensors get in through the lens rather than the VF, hence faster lenses generally focus quicker with less hunting than slower lenses, all else being equal.

honda said:
angle finder makes u look down into the viewfinder rather than look forward
DeSwitch said:
search in consumer section and you will be able to find one. I got mine from PQ23. Not canon brand but Seagull. Canon C-finder is very expensive. But only use it for macro and akward angles. Still not use to the 90 Deg angle orientation.
Thanks, guys.

After being spoilt silly by my D200 viewfinder, I was really hampered by the D70 viewfinder when I had to help out to do some shoots yesterday. So I will say that, YES... a larger viewfinder does help a lot...

yes, it does matter greatly. It's almost impossible to manual focus with D50 VF.

Henessy said:
If I put a eyepiece magnifier, will the viewfinder be dimmer?

If yes, is it significantly darker?

Thanks
I am using DK-21M nikon eyepiece magnifier for about a week. I didn't notice any dimming and/or vignetting.

DK-21M is 1.17x magnification. It bring my 0.75x viewfinder magnification on my D70s to 0.88x magnification.

I like it!

Regards,
Arto.

Nikon F4's viewfinder is really huge, if only all digital cameras have VF of that size........

Yes, it matters. But Oly always suffered with too small VF, so I am quite used to it. But it is annoying and actually, after two months of use, it may be one of the reasons for me to leave Oly forever. Getting older means also my eyes need more light. I am very disappointed with my cam on the VF subject. Manual focus is really extremely difficult with my cam partially because of VF size. Also, keeping an eye on the subject makes it impossible to look at camera settings at the same time, since these are on the right side of VF. I think the information in VF is also being part of VF, not just the subject.

Yes, it matters. But Oly always suffered with too small VF, so I am quite used to it. But it is annoying and actually, after two months of use, it may be one of the reasons for me to leave Oly forever. Getting older means also my eyes need more light. I am very disappointed with my cam on the VF subject. Manual focus is really extremely difficult with my cam partially because of VF size. Also, keeping an eye on the subject makes it impossible to look at camera settings at the same time, since these are on the right side of VF. I think the information in VF is also being part of VF, not just the subject.

sensor size play a part as well. you can't expect them to have a viewfinder as big as those in 35mm film on oly dSLR which is only 1/4? the area. this is also y SLR usually have bigger VF compare to dSLR except for those full frame. beside the sensor size, the design of the body helps as well to a certain extend. just like d200 vs d70s, tho same sensor size but d200 got a larger vf :thumbsup:

ExplorerZ said:
sensor size play a part as well. you can't expect them to have a viewfinder as big as those in 35mm film on oly dSLR which is only 1/4? the area. this is also y SLR usually have bigger VF compare to dSLR except for those full frame. beside the sensor size, the design of the body helps as well to a certain extend. just like d200 vs d70s, tho same sensor size but d200 got a larger vf :thumbsup:
I know all that, but surly there is a way to better magnification than Oly uses. I don't understand why it isn't magnified more.

the bigger the better.... wonder will there be a day where all DSLR VF is as big as those for the medium format..... cool sia...! :lovegrin:

ExplorerZ said:
IMHO, the glass pentaprism on D200 and pentamirror on D70s (D70 [is it pentaprism or pentamirror on D70?], D50) play a part on brightness (and allow D200 to have bigger magnification than D70s).

Regards,
Arto.

OlyFlyer said:
I know all that, but surly there is a way to better magnification than Oly uses. I don't understand why it isn't magnified more.
Have you try 1.2X ME-1 viewfinder Magnifier for E300 & E500?

Regards,
Arto.

Artosoft said:
IMHO, the glass pentaprism on D200 and pentamirror on D70s (D70 [is it pentaprism or pentamirror on D70?], D50) play a part on brightness (and allow D200 to have bigger magnification than D70s).

Regards,
Arto.

Its a pentamirror on the D70.

I had a chance to use the Canon 1DmkIIn for an event shoot the other day. The viewfinder was sooo much nicer and when I went back to my D70, it felt like a peephole...sigh...viewfinder envy....

danster said:
Its a pentamirror on the D70.

I had a chance to use the Canon 1DmkIIn for an event shoot the other day. The viewfinder was sooo much nicer and when I went back to my D70, it felt like a peephole...sigh...viewfinder envy....
go get a d200! u will love the viewfinder!:D

is the d70s viewfinder big enough for u guys? does the extra add on viewfinder help?

knpan said:
is the d70s viewfinder big enough for u guys? does the extra add on viewfinder help?
From my few experiences with it (I'm Canon user), I find it quite small and dim. But then again same goes with 300D/350D vf.

Hmm how about coming out with a list of cams with mediocre vf? And also those with good to great vf.

In no particular order:

DSLRs with Small/dim vf (the type that makes you squint like hell):

Nikon D50
Nikon D70/70s
Canon 300D
Canon 350D

Barely passable (somewhere in between):

Canon 10D/20D/30D

DSLRs with big/bright vf:

Canon 5D
Nikon D200
Konica Minolta Dynax 7D
All pro-grade DSLR models by major manufacturer.

Feel free to add your input!

Status
Not open for further replies.