Does Singapore needs foreign talents in photography?

Status
Not open for further replies.
no, you need to send singaporeans overseas to learn from foreign countries and their photographers.

mattlock said:
no, you need to send singaporeans overseas to learn from foreign countries and their photographers.

It won't help if they are so "kuai" after returning to Singapore that they again go with the flow. Many Singaporeans are handicapped by an environment that puts a premium on conformity and not standing out. (It seems most energy has been diverted to the safe way of standing out by scoring as many "A"s as possible in school.) But one has to stand out to be, well, outstanding.

LittleWolf said:
It won't help if they are so "kuai" after returning to Singapore that they again go with the flow. Many Singaporeans are handicapped by an environment that puts a premium on conformity and not standing out. (It seems most energy has been diverted to the safe way of standing out by scoring as many "A"s as possible in school.) But one has to stand out to be, well, outstanding.

I think that once you go overseas and hang out with overseas photographers you start to change your thinking about photography.

mattlock said:
I think that once you go overseas and hang out with overseas photographers you start to change your thinking about photography.

But not necessarily about authority.

LittleWolf said:
But not necessarily about authority.

you don't need to change your thinking about authority to take meaningful photographs. anyway the people who go into photography and do well tend to have fallen out of the system in the first place.

i wont say we need but we hav space for them here, more betta than less. :)

there r many kinds of photography, every input & contribution is valuable. :cool:

actually I'm not that happy with foreign photographers who don't have as much skill coming here to take advertising photography jobs. There are tons of singapore photographers who are up to that standard.

NEED!
Nowdays hire photographers very expensive,
must invite those from developing nations, pay them $5 per hour for event work. even cheaper than cs photographers hor. :bsmilie: :bsmilie:
:devil: :devil: :devil:

mattlock said:
anyway the people who go into photography and do well tend to have fallen out of the system in the first place.

That's exactly my point ;). But then look at the masses of photography hopefuls here on Clubsnap who are eager to learn and follow the rule of thirds, ask what modes/camera settings they "should" use, what the "correct" way of doing things is, buy gizmos like gray cards and plastic caps to put over flashlights because everyone else does it, etc. This is where I think people should dare using their own brain, even it bears the risk of something as horrible as arriving at different conclusions than an "authority".

Of course we need foreign talent:eek: You know those with big () (), long legs, nice ass and pan asian or ang mo look:bsmilie: Oh do forget the jap:vhappy:

Hmmm :think: ....

How if the question is: "Does the foreign countries need Singaporean photographer?" :sweat:

Cheers!

Regards,
Arto.

mattlock said:
Ditto, i 2nd this

sporean photogs need to get out of singapore to change our mindset.

but we also need foreign photogs to take pictures of singapore to let us view our homeland with foreign eyes.

ortega said:
Ditto, i 2nd this

but we also need foreign photogs to take pictures of singapore to let us view our homeland with foreign eyes.

foreign photographers who take pictures of singapore give us images that are cliched and stereotypical
it is the local photographers who understand our landscape intimately who can see a more personal beauty in our country.
Find me a foreign photographer who takes pictures of singapore that don't involve "exotic" elements such as merlions, chinatown, little india,old people, shophouses.

littlewolf, the people who are in clubsnap asking about rules of thirds and stuff like that are not the ones who will become interesting photographers. anyway there are tons of people like that all over the world, not just in singapore

if someone starts off with an interest in photography based on the technical aspects, then his photos will always be just technical
if someone starts off with an interest in photography as a medium to convey one's vision of the world, then it's a totally different story.

ortega said:
Ditto, i 2nd this

why?

from conforming to a 'local' mindset, to conforming to a 'foreign' mindset? :bsmilie:

ortega said:

why would i want to do that, let a foreigner tell me how to view my homeland?

please! no! look at what some of them did with Bugis in the past :bsmilie:

yes, they might bring 'interesting' perspectives from a foreign point-of-view, no doubt about that. but a mistake would be using that as a mirror to look at ourselves. reflection should begin from within.

Danntbt said:
Nothing wrong with foreign talents if it can help develop the local standard....

how?

foreign lecturers with extensive experience and knowledge in the field?

talks with visiting foreign photographers about their way of thinking, seeing and doing?

or?

singscott said:
Of course we need foreign talent:eek: You know those with big () (), long legs, nice ass and pan asian or ang mo look:bsmilie: Oh do forget the jap:vhappy:

Its not nice calling a Japanese "jap"...
this is basic respect for other culture & ethnicity

Stereobox said:
why?

from conforming to a 'local' mindset, to conforming to a 'foreign' mindset? :bsmilie:

I think the local mindset needs changing, the local mindset is already very rigid due to society and the education system. a wise enough person knows how to learn from the good points of a foreign mindset and apply it to his local mindset, while loosening up that rigidness. nothing like a good dose of western style democracy to open the eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.