does shaking a fizzy drink increase its pH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sehsuan

Deregistered
Dec 12, 2002
Singapore
www.sportsshooter.com
i was wondering, for those of us who sometimes want to drink fizzy stuff (100plus for me), but prefer it without the gas, does shaking and letting go of the carbon dioxide increase the pH effectively? after all, carbon dioxide + h20 is h2co3, which is a weak and not-so-stable acid.... :dunno:

sehsuan said:
i was wondering, for those of us who sometimes want to drink fizzy stuff (100plus for me), but prefer it without the gas, does shaking and letting go of the carbon dioxide increase the pH effectively? after all, carbon dioxide + h20 is h2co3, which is a weak and not-so-stable acid.... :dunno:
Strange? People who want to drink fizzy stuff do so because of the gas right? So why remove the gas? Might as well drink other non-fizzy stuff. :dunno:

dun think so.. coz carbonic acid is a weak acid and should form a buffer system to maintain the PH? :dunno:

anyone else?

personally, i prefer flat drinks.. coz it does not make me burp so much.. :p

sehsuan said:

i think boz the canned drinks are bottled under high pressure, so once u open the drink, due to the change in pressure between the inside of the can and the atmosphere, the gas will escape. But because carbonic acid is a weak acid, ph about 6 -6.5, so even if the gas escape, it will not alter the pH too much..

This is wat i think..

innovas1 said:
i think boz the canned drinks are bottled under high pressure, so once u open the drink, due to the change in pressure between the inside of the can and the atmosphere, the gas will escape. But because carbonic acid is a weak acid, ph about 6 -6.5, so even if the gas escape, it will not alter the pH too much..

This is wat i think..

correct. Not forgetting too that what causes the 'fizz' isn't just CO2 but phosphoric acid as well. And that also contributes to acidity of the drink.

sfhuang said:
correct. Not forgetting too that what causes the 'fizz' isn't just CO2 but phosphoric acid as well. And that also contributes to acidity of the drink.
IIRC, phosphoric acid is only found in cola drinks.

co2 does decrease ph...
but so does phosphoric acid.

not sure exactly how much of the low pH the 2 are responsible for...

but letting go C02 will def increase some of the ph...

Status
Not open for further replies.