Does 'selling on behalf of my friend' discharge you from any responsiblity?

joechrisafio

Jan 23, 2012
Hi peeps,

Just for discussions sake as a colleague of mine visited the CS forum after I introduced to him. He is looking for a preowned lens to add to his collection. He mentioned seeing a number of B&S ads mentioning the items are sold on behalf of their friends or colleagues etc.

In any case, if the item becomes faulty after the deal is closed (assuming all checks are done properly prior to the sale), what are the recourse that can be taken?

Cheers

Joe.

As long as your friend knows how to check and what to check then it should be ok. Usually stuff on BnS does not come with any warranty anyway.

Of course not. You sold it. You are responsible. Not your friend.
Some sellers are embarrassed to say they are selling their own stuff. So this is a face saving phrase commonly used.
If you are worried to buy any item and not being able to hold anyone responsible, then ask to deal direct with the "friend" and not through the person who posted in CS Buy & Sell.
If the "friend" rejects this then it is a warning that something is not right.

Last edited:
I'd say whoever is at the meetup is responsible for the transaction -- on both sides.

But in the example you mentioned, even if the seller is selling his own item, he is not responsible for what happens after the deal is done (unless there's some agreement that says otherwise -- a warranty). Unless perhaps there is a hidden fault of some kind you can prove he hid from you - things get complex once you get to this point!

In any case, if the item becomes faulty after the deal is closed (assuming all checks are done properly prior to the sale), what are the recourse that can be taken?

I'd say whoever is at the meetup is responsible for the transaction -- on both sides.

Agreed

There should be an agreement before cash transaction on both parties on equipment issues. Some sellers will kindly provide buyers a few days of personal warranty.

Any problems I will get back to whoever met me up. Ideally I would think selling on behalf of some friend does not mean he or she is discharged of all responsibilities. BUT if the seller is the type who says he knows nuts about what his friend's item is all about, I'd be very careful with checking the item and get hold of contact number on the item's owner in case there is equipment failure.

I have helped a friend post his stuff for sale. Usually when buyers msg me, I will just forward the contact to my friend who will deal with them separately. Let them sort out the deal by themselves. That way, you can minimise any misunderstanding in the future. Of course, I do check the items physically to ensure they are in working condition before posting.

seller could be selling for himself, his friend, his grandmother ....... BUYER still have to practice usual checks and take the usual risks

once sold ...... is sold ...... any problems later is not the seller's problem anymore

seller could be selling for himself, his friend, his grandmother ....... BUYER still have to practice usual checks and take the usual risks

once sold ...... is sold ...... any problems later is not the seller's problem anymore

Well said!

If you dun wanna to take risk, kiasu and kiasi type, better go buy brand new with warranty.

lolzz next.... we'll have guys who lowball on behalf of their friends :bsmilie:

Hmm... I thought B&S is for personal-owned items only.