Does Pentax users use mainly the kit lenses or cheap primes?

hotchoco1ate

Jan 27, 2010
My thoughts are as follows because i was initially considering the k-5 over the d7000. But when i visited emjay's site, the 16-50 was like 1.9k?? Shouldnt pentax be a cheaper brand than the rest since they save so much on advert?

No offence to any pentax users here btw. I've consistently seen good/exceptional pics from the camera, but if the price is more than the canonikon counterparts, and a small BnS market to turn to for 2nd hand stuff, i don't think i wanna stick to my kit lens for the rest of my life.

The k-5 is WOW, but the lenses that i can pair with it, especially walk-about zooms, are just the 18-55, 18-135 and the 16-50. Can someone please prove my argument wrong? i might be missing something here.

Appreciate any and all inputs ;p

There are 3rd party tamron and sigma zoom lenses that are pretty good.

That's the RRP :)

do check out the usual shop for street price

I see. Since i seen so many got their k-5 and some lenses from emjay, i tot their prices were indicative of street price. Which shop sells cheaper or the most variety of pentax lenses? I know i can rule John 316 out straight away =)

Thanks for the clarification =)

The 16-50/2.8 is a very well built lens that has weather resistance (useful for dust (more impt imo) and moisture, rain). It is wide up to 16mm for a wide to 'normal' (35-50mm) zoom lens at f2.8 which I believe is not offered by any other maker (OEM or 3rd party).
What you have in the end is a very nice lens that covers so wide that one may forgo a UWA lens and still take very wide (16mm as opposed to 17mm which is more common),normal, portrait perspective shots (all with a f2.8 option). Almost a perfect walkabout zoom lens.

Sizing up the OEM options as a short non comprehensive example :
Canon
EF 16-35mm f2.8L USM - no RRP | $2080 (CP) | $2400 (MS) | $2220 (TCW, grey)
EF 16-35mm f2.8L II USM - $2999 (RRP) | $2400 (JO, Mar09) | $2350 (MS, Apr10) | $2388 (SLRR, Dec09) | $2400 (CP-M, Mar10) $2380 (MS, w/ GST, May10)
EF-S 17-55mm f2.8 IS USM - $1899 (RRP) | $1540 (MS, May10)$1530 (PA, w/ GST, Jun10)$1535 (MS, w/ GST, Jun10) |$1599 CP-P w/ GST Jul10

Nikon
AF-S 17-55mm f/2.8G IF-ED DX
$1,930 (John, Sep08 - Xanadu)
$2220.00 (without GST, CP, Oct09, JH)

Most of these don't offer SR (though I disagree that Pentax should pass on on-camera SR saving onto the lens price).
So the 16-50/2.8 is a real good price even though it has become a bit more expensive from its price a few years ago.

Last edited:
If you target K5, and only want a standard zoom or walk around lens, I do not see the point.

Pentax's soul is in the limiteds.

I see. Since i seen so many got their k-5 and some lenses from emjay, i tot their prices were indicative of street price. Which shop sells cheaper or the most variety of pentax lenses? I know i can rule John 316 out straight away =)

Thanks for the clarification =)

try OP, SLR Revolution

maybe manly

these are more pentax friendly shops.. but please do your homework and call all up. thanks.

i use third party lenses lor

pentax lenses: 18-55, FE 10-17, 50 f/1.4

third party: 10-20 , 70-300

i'm a cheapskate and mainly use tamron instead of pentax glass. but i have SR on all of them! :)

i'm a cheapskate and mainly use tamron instead of pentax glass. but i have SR on all of them! :)

+1, me too.
Some say its all about the primes for Pentax, not for me tho. :dunno:

+1, me too.
Some say its all about the primes for Pentax, not for me tho. :dunno:

i won't mind if i had the money

like way too much money

have to admit, all the limiteds are really nice, especially if you've played with them before.

:)

Cheap primes and old manual lenses can yield stunning results at a fraction of the cost too :)

My thoughts are as follows because i was initially considering the k-5 over the d7000. But when i visited emjay's site, the 16-50 was like 1.9k?? Shouldnt pentax be a cheaper brand than the rest since they save so much on advert?

No offence to any pentax users here btw. I've consistently seen good/exceptional pics from the camera, but if the price is more than the canonikon counterparts, and a small BnS market to turn to for 2nd hand stuff, i don't think i wanna stick to my kit lens for the rest of my life.

The k-5 is WOW, but the lenses that i can pair with it, especially walk-about zooms, are just the 18-55, 18-135 and the 16-50. Can someone please prove my argument wrong? i might be missing something here.

Emjay's pricing is RRP. Call the shops. The pricing is normally more down to earth . . .

Primes can range from the older Takumars (M42), M Series, K Series, A Series, F Series, FA Series (K Mounts) to our latest DA Series lenses.

You decide which of them you want to have to play around with. Not everyone can afford the Limiteds from the FA and DA series.

Last edited:
If you target K5, and only want a standard zoom or walk around lens, I do not see the point.

Pentax's soul is in the limiteds.

Plus all the other primes from the '50s to the '90s, like the Takumars, M, K, A, F and FA series of lenses.

The most wonderful lens of all is the A50mm F1.2 . . . :devil:

Funny that my Canikons frens complain the same thing abt the pricing of their lens for being expensive. :bsmilie:

Bopian, at the end of the day. We still go out and shoot.;)

Well depending on what you mean by walkabout zoom, there are many options besides the ones you listed. Pentax has the DA 16-45 and the DA17-70, Tamron has an excellent 17-50 f2.8, Sigma has a few 17-70mm and 17-50mm f2.8 zooms as well.

The DA*16-50 is kinda expensive compared to the 3rd party variants, but it is definitely cheaper than the Canon/Nikon variants.

Emjay prices are RRRRRRRRRP..
so it doesnt reflect the price u'll be paying at local trustworth stores..
check the priceguides link for more info,
best yet, give a few shops a call..

and yes, canikons are wayyyyyy more exp than pentax