Does one have to pay GST for used camera from ebay auction?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aim

Oct 4, 2003
Does one have to pay GST for a 6 mths old camera won from ebay auction? Shipped from the USA.

as long as the amt u pay for the camera + shipping exceeds S$400, gotta pay GST, even if its a gift...

if you insure it, the price will be on the outside of the box, hence you'll have to go to paya lebar to pay.

if you don't insure it and just declear it as a gift, then you don't have to pay.

from 1st hand experience.....

cheers

Most american shops won't underdeclare, many sellers on eBay from the US refuse to lie on the customs form, many won't even want to put 'gift' o nit, eventhough it could have been a gift to someone or to yourself :) .......I wished Bush could learn from these compatriots!.......BiG liar! ha!

Most sellers on eBay also want to insure, but some inexperienced ones don't.....if you don't want to insure, it is better to ask them to send by EMS courier which is safe and fast....check the USPS website, www.usps.com

There is some debate as how to judge the value of an item....a one dollar item to someone maybe worth 500 dollars to another, offcourse the customs doesn't care, they only want to know how much you paid for it, including the postage (which can not be underdeclared :))....

Good luck!

HS

Thanks for the replies.
I will need to go to ICA at Sing Post Centre to pay the GST. :(

oh yah another thing is that if u do not have a receipt etc to show how much the thing is, remember to print out the email, or private msg correspondences that refer to how much that thing is... will make it much more convenient for you when the customs pple calculate the gst...

weg said:
as long as the amt u pay for the camera + shipping exceeds S$400, gotta pay GST, even if its a gift...

Yeah, you are correct.
Went to ICA at Sing Post Centre to collect the parcel. GST was based on the amount paid for the item, shipment/postage and insurance(if any) and calculated at the prevailing conversion rate.

I think the postal dept randomly check on the value of parcels. Last Nov, I received a camera won with a bid of US$525 from ebay and shipped from US. It was delivered by the other local postal agency and not stoped at ICA for GST payment.

Status
Not open for further replies.