Does Motorcyclist Derserve Respect?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafael

Deregistered
Jul 5, 2007
I as a 4-wheel driver, do quite think that most motorcyclists do not respect or value their own lives.

2 lanes on the road is meant for 2 vehicles (1 on each lane), but motorcyclists will come in between 2 lanes (and 2 cars) and take makes distant between 2 cars even narrower.

They are classified as slower vehicle and yet they travel on the right most lane especially slower speed than legally expected.

They like to swerve between cars abruptly and in a exceedingly fast manner, many a times they surprise me when I tried to overtake when I confirmed safely to overtake.

What can be done to enforce stricter safety rules on them, or perhaps education would help?

of course they deserve repect as they are human lives too...but if they
choose to end their own life in a tragic way and cause other innocent parties
to suffer too then they dun.

talking abt motorcyclist, I had 1 encounter yesterday at PIE though its juz
a small matter...I hv noticed that a motorcyclist was at 3 to 4 car
length behind me and observed that he was on constant speed before I
sped up a bit and changed lane..but he gave me a long horn from 3 to 4 car
length behind..i was like WTH is wrong with him ?! :angry:...anyway, i chose
to ignore such crazy ppl and drive on..

I drive and I also ride for more than twenty over years,

of course there are some idiot riders,

so are idiot drivers too.

I drive and I also ride for more than twenty over years,

of course there are some idiot riders,

so are idiot drivers too.

I beg to differ,
There are a hell lot more idiot drivers than riders..... hahahaha

I wonder who is a bigger idot, a driver or a class 2b rider doing or trying to do 80kmph on the expressway......:dunno:

there's drivers high on alcohol, but so far not riders. :rolleyes:

cant imagine riders going in circles... :bsmilie:

Maybe a car user would understand how it's like being a rider. Many of my friends give alot of leeway to motorbikers, coz they too once been motorbike riders.

Its usually those msian bikers who ride like hellriders, u should see them perform on the BKE during peak hours. :nono:

i am a pedestrian 80% of the time, and i think that car users and motorcyclists do not respect me or themselves

the thing is, it doesn't matter, does it - what's more important is that you respect yourself; the whole world can be full of idiots, but if you respect yourself, you'll know what's right.

Folks, it's not about the vehicle, but the person at the wheel/handlebars/joystick/D-pad (for those Need For Speed freaks ehehehe).

But seriously, there are those road-users who seemingly have a single-minded agenda to end their own lives; for the rest of us, we should try NOT to help them achieve that.

I wonder why Singapore dont have lane for motocyclist.

I rode and drive and I still think its up to individual. You cant just setreotype all motocyclist as hell rider and all drivers as Law abiders. Once whlie I was stopping at a traffic light (on bike) a car behind me came at full speed. I have no choice but to beat the trafic light as I think better to get booked than to boxed. Regardless of what vehicle you ride/drive mutual respect is most important.

Motocyclist will not stay in the jam with drivers for sure. Its just insane to do so.

A large proportion of motorcyclists like to create their own lanes on the dotted line - maybe they played too much Pac Man in the past when they were younger.

Deswitch: I would rather get rear-ended than to beat the red light. If you get rear ended, you will be compensated accordingly. If you beat the red light and get caught, no amount of justification will save you from 12 demerit points.

A large proportion of motorcyclists like to create their own lanes on the dotted line - maybe they played too much Pac Man in the past when they were younger.
QUOTE]

As a driver and motorcyclist myself, I have ask around my fellow friends/colleagues who drive cars. 100% felt that they cannot stand a motorbike occupying a complete lane blocking in front of them(worst if it is on the fast lane), if it is a car then is alright despite distance in between the vehicles are the same(speed the same). They would tailgate the biker closely till they step aside. It is really strange, drivers felt strongly motorcyclists shouldnt be occupying the FULL lane. What to do? they are force to travel in between 2 lanes which is very dangerous especially those who drive the bigger car(2 litres& above) or taxis who love to drive their vehicle closely to the dotted line so that anytime they can switch lanes even in a jammed w/o signaling.;p

Its all down to the individual. Whether its a bike, a car, a taxi, a lorry - there are those who respect others on the road and there are those that are simply inconsiderate. As for bikers, other than the malaysian kap-chais on singapore roads, i would say that majority of the singapore registered bikers are a well behaved lot. There is of course that small minority that behave badly, but end of day, we shouldnt generalize.

Other road users will show more consideration for bikers - there is virtually no protection for them = any impact is direct. As drivers, we should always remember, the biker is someone's husband, father, son, breadwinner etc.

.. :)

As a driver and motorcyclist myself, I have ask around my fellow friends/colleagues who drive cars. 100% felt that they cannot stand a motorbike occupying a complete lane blocking in front of them(worst if it is on the fast lane), if it is a car then is alright despite distance in between the vehicles are the same(speed the same). They would tailgate the biker closely till they step aside.

i was once a motorcyclist and this is very true. Everytime i tried to occupy a single lane i will get squeezed out of the lane by some other driver. No choice but to ride in between lanes...

... i would say that majority of the singapore registered bikers are a well behaved lot. There is of course that small minority that behave badly, but end of day, we shouldnt generalize.

.. :)

Totally agree. Generally I feel bikers are pretty law abiding, you signal left or right and the biker behind will typically slow down and give way ....

until today along AMK Ave 1 ... after I signal to filter right and waiting for a few moments for clear right of way, this biker came at high speed and just drove past me on the right! Really with no regards to his or others' safety! :nono:

I drive and ride.

If every rider sticks to the car lanes, Singapore will run out of roads.

when I drive I usually leave a wider gap for bikes, no harm just letting them go through unless you wish to sandwhich them.

When I crash on the bike, all the cars just wait for me to pick myself up. When i see a car crash I stop to help the driver when I ride. To each his own and mutual respect out there.

cheers!

I drive and ride.

when I drive I usually leave a wider gap for bikes, no harm just letting them go through unless you wish to sandwhich them.

When I crash on the bike, all the cars just wait for me to pick myself up. When i see a car crash I stop to help the driver when I ride. To each his own and mutual respect out there.

cheers!

:thumbsup: same here

I drive and ride.

cheers!
Tau kay tio si Tau Kay.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Well I don't know abt your friends/colleagues, but almost all I've asked prefer to have a motorcyclist riding in his own lane.

Riding in the lane means greater certainty, as you now know where the guy is going or headed. If he changes lane, it is easy to tell where he's headed to.

Riding on the line, you can't tell if he's staying on the line, or moving left or right. And because he's on the line, the distance to move left or right is very small, such that you can't anticipate in time when/where he's going.

Besides, it really isn't about what anyone prefers, it is what the law states. I do believe in driving school, they tell motorcyclists to ride in the centre of the full lane, not on the dotted lines. Perhaps you can help clarify as well since you're a motorcyclist, and I'm not.

As a driver and motorcyclist myself, I have ask around my fellow friends/colleagues who drive cars. 100% felt that they cannot stand a motorbike occupying a complete lane blocking in front of them(worst if it is on the fast lane), if it is a car then is alright despite distance in between the vehicles are the same(speed the same). They would tailgate the biker closely till they step aside. It is really strange, drivers felt strongly motorcyclists shouldnt be occupying the FULL lane. What to do? they are force to travel in between 2 lanes which is very dangerous especially those who drive the bigger car(2 litres& above) or taxis who love to drive their vehicle closely to the dotted line so that anytime they can switch lanes even in a jammed w/o signaling.;p

Status
Not open for further replies.