Does Lemon Law covers grey units?

Gribber

Deregistered
Apr 6, 2012
as questions posted.

Does Lemon Law covers grey units?

Lemon law says if your units have problem, you need to go back to where or who you buy from, (contractual parties). Distributors wont be at fault as they don't have a "contract" with the buyer. This will teach those grey marketeers a lesson. All hail the new law.

Cannot have your cake and eat it too

Gray units have no warranty .... you get lemon.... you live with lemon....

Lemon law says if your units have problem, you need to go back to where or who you buy from, (contractual parties). Distributors wont be at fault as they don't have a "contract" with the buyer. This will teach those grey marketeers a lesson. All hail the new law.
This is highly debatable and smells like full rice bowls for lawyers. The distributor is not so easily off, he has a legal position in this sale.

Er..why are grey marketeers taught a lesson bcos of the Lemon Law? Why are people against grey marketeers, they are not cheating nor doing anything illegal. Anyway, I think the Lemon Law benefits grey marketeers in the sense they can speak with confidence to guarantee a full six months instead of 12 as the Law applies only for 6 mths. Also I am very sure, most of us who bot stuff from the grey market never have a very bad experience on the goods. It is no difference than say, you go Johor to buy lenses and bring it back. The grey marketeer merely brings it back here for you. In short, grey market gds are Not in anyway inferior.

They break after 1 year most of the time.

Or 2 years if your warranty is 2 years.

there also good grey unit shop here too.

I got a sigma 17-50, on the 4 months, found there is foucsing back and front issue. forward the test chart to the shop. given green light to sent for calibration. after with 2 weeks, the cost was reimbursed.

Cannot have your cake and eat it too

Gray units have no warranty .... you get lemon.... you live with lemon....

if i've not interpreted the faqs wrongly, the lemon law does cover gray units too. it doesn't matter if there is a warranty. the thing for the ts is whether he bought the product after 1 sep. the law is not retrospective so if you bought the product before 1 sep, the lemon law doesn't apply

Many countries have laws like that for ages and it shouldn't matter at all where the dealer is sourcing the goods from.

The lemon law is to protect consumers from retailers for defective sets sold. It is not a law to distinguish between parallel (so called grey sets) and authorised products sold. The latter has no relevance in the lemon law. Even second hand products sold are subjected to lemon law, what more parallel imported goods. For the less informed, please note that parallel importing is legal in singapore.

To add, there is no reason why grey sets should fail faster than a "local" set, as ultimately the product comes out from the same manufacturing line. These are not fakes or copies.

Last edited:

The lemon law does not supersede any existing contractual obligations the "grey marketeers" (i prefer to call them parallel importers) have with their suppliers, which most definitely will include defective goods. They are still protected, in their own rights, with or without the lemon law. The lemon law is just a new law to protect us consumers, and has no relevance on the retailers and their suppliers.

eos1100d.jpg

Canon_1100D_red_version_different_color_models.jpg

suddenly the red camera body looks more appealing

IIRC, yes, Lemon Law covers consumers. So if a shop sells you a product, and it lemoned, the shop compensates.

It is going to make gray units sales a thing of the past.

And this will bring down BNS pre owned items prices. Good luck to all the high ballers. If they can't sell that piece of sheep for the past 2 years on clubsnap and still whining the 'low ballers stay off' slogan, with lemon law they can forget about selling even if they reduce their prices to realistic levels.

IIRC, yes, Lemon Law covers consumers. So if a shop sells you a product, and it lemoned, the shop compensates.

It is going to make gray units sales a thing of the past.

And this will bring down BNS pre owned items prices. Good luck to all the high ballers. If they can't sell that piece of sheep for the past 2 years on clubsnap and still whining the 'low ballers stay off' slogan, with lemon law they can forget about selling even if they reduce their prices to realistic levels.
I doubt it covers private sales.

I doubt it covers private sales.

Thats why BNS prices will go down. Who will want to buy pre-owned lens at near brand new prices without warranty or protection.

Thats why BNS prices will go down. Who will want to buy pre-owned lens at near brand new prices without warranty or protection.
Even at 50% you won't have any protection from Lemon law if private sales is excluded. Too bad we don't have anybody from legal profession here anymore.. Would be helpful to replace guessing with some factual knowledge.

Octarine said:
Even at 50% you won't have any protection from Lemon law if private sales is excluded. Too bad we don't have anybody from legal profession here anymore.. Would be helpful to replace guessing with some factual knowledge.

Who's guessing?

http://www.case.org.sg/downloads/central/12_036_CASE_Event_Poster_LemonLaw.pdf

google can liao, no need to guess

let me highlight some points for you all (disclaimer: me not a lawyer, so dont hold me responsible)

1) law to protect CONSUMERS........
2) law obligates BUSINESS to repair, replace........
3) the Lemon Law covers ALL GENERAL PRODUCTS PRUCHASED IN SINGAPORE.......
4) second-hand goods are included........

here are my interpretations:

BNS in CS has no business entity involved, its between 2 private parties, so does not qualify for lemon law (point 2 above). Can a lawyer twist and turn the law to make it possible? i dont know, but i highly doubt so.

does it cover grey sets? Hell yes, if you bought it from a retailer in Singapore (point 3 above).

does it makes grey sets sale a thing of the past? hell no! i just ordered a 24-70 mkii from a site advertiser here with a legal entity as the lemon law gave me more confidence.

will it affect BNS prices in CS? i cant see any relevance, perhaps someone can point me in the right direction please?

Why i even chose to bother to explain the above? because i am appalled by some of the illogical conjectures made up....and also, the "search" button did not yield any results.

Last edited:
ageha said:
Who's guessing?

Clearly you were when you made that remark. Someone has backed up the claim in black and white for 2nd hand goods, while you sir, have just said it did not include private sales.

I am not saying you are wrong, or that the person backing up the claim was right. However, UNTIL such time that things are confirmed in WRITING from an authoritative body, it's still just guess work.

will it affect BNS prices in CS? i cant see any relevance, perhaps someone can point me in the right direction please?

I will explain this using finance and economics.

Let B be the price of any arbitrary equipment "E" transacted in the Buy N Sell section.

Let P be the open-market average price for brand new "E", at authorized or lemon-covered dealers.

Risk-protection premium "R" = P - B.
For any R exceeding the buyer's risk-adversity tradeoff, the buyer would elect to buy at B (BNS) because it is the risk-discount is more than the risk-protection-premium.

R depends on how stringently the warranty can be "enforced" or how rigorous the warranty regime is. if the warranty protection is very strong then R appears to be more "value"...reducing demand in BnS.