Does it really make it difference?

Status
Not open for further replies.

retrospect

Sep 12, 2005
Hi all,

What's the difference between a Tokina UV filter and a more expensive Hoya one? I mean, is the price difference really justifiable? Are images using Hoya UV filters noticeably better?:dunno:

it would make a diff for film cams. film is sensitive to UV light and so photos may have a blue cast. correct me if im wrong but digi cam sensors do not pick up UV light, or if they do, they pick up very little

ppl put filters so protect the front element. and the reasoning is simple: if im gonna buy a $500 lens, why put a $8 uncoated filter on it? might as well get a hoya HMC that is quite decently priced too

I thot Hoya UV Filters were OEM made by Tokina?

retrospect said:
Hi all,

What's the difference between a Tokina UV filter and a more expensive Hoya one? I mean, is the price difference really justifiable? Are images using Hoya UV filters noticeably better?:dunno:
the truth is, my weary and blurry eyes can't see a difference.
don't give me the 'put ur filter on a white piece of paper test'. the sensors and films/slides are not pieces of paper.

even on film and slides, i can't see any difference between brands of filters.
maybe there are differences which my eyes failed to pick up.

maybe i'm getting old. :think:

eel said:
I thot Hoya UV Filters were OEM made by Tokina?

yup, both same same
in fact, all brands also same same...

do a search, there were countless battles fought here over this topic...

Isaiahfortythirtyone said:
it would make a diff for film cams. film is sensitive to UV light and so photos may have a blue cast. correct me if im wrong but digi cam sensors do not pick up UV light, or if they do, they pick up very little

ppl put filters so protect the front element. and the reasoning is simple: if im gonna buy a $500 lens, why put a $8 uncoated filter on it? might as well get a hoya HMC that is quite decently priced too
i think for digital cams there's a UV filter or lowpass filter just on top of the sensor to serve this purpose.

as for still using a filter, yeap i guess most pple do it for protection. me too!

and u're prob right on using at least a coated filter for expensive lenses with alot of coating too, to reduce internal reflections right? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.