Does it make sense to add teleconverter on 60mm Macro lens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanhot

Dec 7, 2007
Upper Bukit Timah
Hi Hi,

I am inspired by all the great macro shots that I see among the CSers. I bought a 60mm f2.8 Nikon macro lens to venture into this new world. I realized that I do not have sufficient working distance to take the insect world as I will be chasing them away with my close working distance.

Does adding a 1.7 teleconverter make my 60mm macro lens like a 102 mm macro lens to give me the working distance? I read somewhere where it says teleconverter does not change working distance but it helps in the magnification. But if after adding the teleconverter, will I achieve the effect of increased working distance if I negate the magnification of the telecoverter by standing further away from the subject?

Rgds

THT

Hi Hi,

I am inspired by all the great macro shots that I see among the CSers. I bought a 60mm f2.8 Nikon macro lens to venture into this new world. I realized that I do not have sufficient working distance to take the insect world as I will be chasing them away with my close working distance.

Does adding a 1.7 teleconverter make my 60mm macro lens like a 102 mm macro lens to give me the working distance? I read somewhere where it says teleconverter does not change working distance but it helps in the magnification. But if after adding the teleconverter, will I achieve the effect of increased working distance if I negate the magnification of the telecoverter by standing further away from the subject?

Rgds

THT

kinda defeats the purpose... its easier to just get a 105mm f2.8 nikon micro or 200mm f4 if you really like to take insects from a distance.

cos with your 1.7 tele, you are making a 60mm become a 102mm f4.8 lens, and iirc you do not get 1:1 magnification with a teleconvertor, so you might end up trying to use another extension tube, and you have further light loss.

also, with additional glass, you also have a drop in optical quality as well...

Yup, it will increase working distance :)

increasing magnification = increase in working distance ;)

duh... you know what you are saying?

so if i can do 2:1 mean i can go further from the subject? then the theory of getting closer to increase magnification is total crap already...

Btw,

the Nikon TC has a protruding front element and will not work well with the Nikkor 60 micro.

You also end up with a smaller aperture... If that is important to you. With a 1.7 teleconverter, it (approximately) becomes a f/5 lens.

duh... you know what you are saying?

so if i can do 2:1 mean i can go further from the subject? then the theory of getting closer to increase magnification is total crap already...

Of course i do.

Regarding the effect of adding a TC to a 60mm macro lens, it seems logical to define a constant around which to observe the effect of the change in focal length. In this case, i kept the initial 1:1 magnification of the 60mm lens as a constant.

In case you aren't clear, after adding a 1.7X TC to a 60mm macro lens, it's effective focal length will increase to 102mm, increasing it's minimum focusing distance by a factor of 1.7 (from 18.5cm to 31.45cm), based on the premise that the 1:1 magnification ratio is kept constant.

Of course, you're right that the lens is now a 2:1 lens and ,preferable, i'd rather explain that a TC works by increasing the size of the image behind the lens. Hence, actual minimum focusing distance is still 18.5cm

However, with regard to TS's question, i believe my explanation will suffice

Of course i do.

Regarding the effect of adding a TC to a 60mm macro lens, it seems logical to define a constant around which to observe the effect of the change in focal length. In this case, i kept the initial 1:1 magnification of the 60mm lens as a constant.

In case you aren't clear, after adding a 1.7X TC to a 60mm macro lens, it's effective focal length will increase to 102mm, increasing it's minimum focusing distance by a factor of 1.7 (from 18.5cm to 31.45cm), based on the premise that the 1:1 magnification ratio is kept constant.

Of course, you're right that the lens is now a 2:1 lens and ,preferable, i'd rather explain that a TC works by increasing the size of the image behind the lens. Hence, actual minimum focusing distance is still 18.5cm

However, with regard to TS's question, i believe my explanation will suffice

however, your 1:1 is lost when you add a 1.7TC... and its not a 2:1, it becomes a 1:2... or should be 1:1.7...

Somehow, i believe you haven't a clue on how a teleconvertor works :sweat:

I suggest you read up before dishing out inaccurate information :)

okie... so why not you explain to me since i'm a complete noob...

if 1:1 for 100mm macro (for easier calculation) is say 12" aka 300mm...

so if i put a 2x tele, it will make it into a 200mm macro with minimum focusing distance of 300mm or 600mm or more?

okie... so why not you explain to me since i'm a complete noob...

if 1:1 for 100mm macro (for easier calculation) is say 12" aka 300mm...

so if i put a 2x tele, it will make it into a 200mm macro with minimum focusing distance of 300mm or 600mm or more?

Why should the mininum focusing distance change? It'll remain at 300mm! Teleconvertors are placed between the camera body and the lens. i.e- they don't affect workings, and hence, the minimum focusing distance of the lens. They merely enlarge the image produced by the lens.

Hope this helps :)

Last edited:
Why should the mininum focusing distance change? It'll remain at 300mm! Teleconvertors are placed between the camera body and the lens. i.e- they don't affect workings, and hence, the minimum focusing distance of the lens. They merely enlarge the image produced by the lens.

Hope this helps :)

hmm, then another question... at 200mm mfd of 300mm same as mfd of 100mm, so the lens become a 2x macro lens as well? cos distance remain the same, increase magnification by 2, so its 2x macro?

hmm, then another question... at 200mm mfd of 300mm same as mfd of 100mm, so the lens become a 2x macro lens as well? cos distance remain the same, increase magnification by 2, so its 2x macro?

Gosh* i don't even understand the phrasing of your question :sweat:

Anyway, this is pointless.

please take some time to read these 2 quotations:

1)
[Sigma]APO TELE CONVERTER 2x EX DG

Lens Construction: 5 Groups - 6 Elements
Focal Length: 2 times of master lens
Aperture Range: F2.8-32
Magnification: 2 times of master lens
Dimensions: φ 68.5mm×19.5mm
Weight: 160g

Retrieved from: http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05100501sigma_teleconverters.asp

2)
"In addition to increasing focal length, both teleconverters allow greater magnification in macro since the Minimum Object Distance (MOD) of the master lens does not change when used with the teleconverters."

Retrieved from:http://www.tamron.com/lenses/tele-guide.asp

If Sigma, Tamron and Dpreview all got it wrong, then i must be a noob :bsmilie:

Last edited:
oops.. i just remembered the teleconvertor theory... haha... ok i stand corrected...

teleconvertor only takes the centre of the image... same like a crop factor... so lens remain the same.

lol... malu...

Status
Not open for further replies.