Does it help if I upgrade my laptop hard disk to 7200rpm

FM2

Oct 16, 2004
Hi all,

I am planning to upgrade my laptop hard disk from 250GB to 500GB. I was deciding either to get the 5400rpm or the 7200rpm as the price difference has closed the gap.

I will be using my laptop on Windows 7 with photshop CS and video editing like sony vegas..Does the additional rpm helps to run the apps faster ? and will it create more heat to my laptop and power consumption ?

Last edited:
more power consumption is definitely.

i am using a 500G 5400rpm on my macbook pro and it can last me 5 hours min. :)

It helps to generate more heat. Not sure how this will be helpful, though.

I upgrade to 7200rpm for my macbook but I cannot feel any speed different, and it generate more heat + shorter batt life. Abit regret. lol

it also depends on the CPU, RAM, GPU and so on. go to Windows Experience Index to find out which one is having the lowest score. i.e. if harddisk isn't the bottleneck, then no point having a faster harddisk.

upgrade to Solid State Drive. Fast, quite and less heat.

upgrade to Solid State Drive. Fast, quite and less heat.

If price is not an issue, this is the best option :thumbsup:

BUT, here's the question to the thread starter - How fast do you want to go? My opinion - laptops are not really meant for serious video editing work. If it is just occasional video editing, then I would say, live with the speed. :embrass:

Hi all,

I am planning to upgrade my laptop hard disk from 250GB to 500GB. I was deciding either to get the 5400rpm or the 7200rpm as the price difference has closed the gap.

I will be using my laptop on Windows 7 with photshop CS and video editing like sony vegas..Does the additional rpm helps to run the apps faster ? and will it create more heat to my laptop and power consumption ?

Theres a Western Digital Green and Black Series HD. Apparently helps to reduce power consumption smartly and hence generates lesser heat , as it will regulate power consumption smartly. plus comes with a 32mb buffer , so makes ur data transfer faster.

maybe you can check out the prices , i got 500GB green sata , for 78.

Last edited:
Hi all,

speed wise is not very much & waiting time is not as much as you think.