Does high ISO really matters ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeA_NuTz

Aug 2, 2006
Hey guys, thinking of getting FZ20.
Only up to iso400.
Does it really matter to have a high iso like 800 or 1600 ? Thanks.

PeA_NuTz said:
Hey guys, thinking of getting FZ20.
Only up to iso400.
Does it really matter to have a high iso like 800 or 1600 ? Thanks.

eh, iso400 not enough? wait till they give you 800 or 1600 den you will be saying "wa lao y my image come out lidat? :dunno:"
anyway so far for the currect FZ, my advise is to cap at iso200, 400 only when you are desperate to get some "sharp" picture or going to change into B/W mode.
all in all, go to the shop/2hand and test the camera, to me fz20 is a good camera and one of the rare f2.8 constant 12x zoom camera (hoping they use f30 ccd ;p ):thumbsup:

Me noob haha.
Like last time though higher mega pixel better.
So ISO doesn't really matter right?

PeA_NuTz said:
Me noob haha.
Like last time though higher mega pixel better.
So ISO doesn't really matter right?

not saying it doesn't matter, its more of if the camera can take it anot. give you iso 3200 with bad quality also pointless, as for my fz5 i find iso400 is a little too high for the ccd to take, so most of the time i rather don shoot or juz shoot for fun :bsmilie:

Read from the following site:

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/p_2_011.html

It stats that:
"Noise becomes noticeable at ISO 1600 and 3200
Changing the aperture affects the depth of field, while changing the shutter speed affects the freezing or blurring of motion. And changing the ISO speed affects the picture quality. See photos above, the ISO speed affects the graininess of the image. The higher the ISO speed, the grainier the picture will look. Lower ISO speeds produce less grain.
This grain is called noise. High ISO speeds result in more noise in the image. The latest digital SLR cameras use various technologies to reduce this noise, so the image quality is still quite good even at very high ISO speeds."

Is this true?

match80 said:
Read from the following site:

http://www.canon.co.jp/Imaging/enjoydslr/p_2_011.html

It stats that:
"Noise becomes noticeable at ISO 1600 and 3200
Changing the aperture affects the depth of field, while changing the shutter speed affects the freezing or blurring of motion. And changing the ISO speed affects the picture quality. See photos above, the ISO speed affects the graininess of the image. The higher the ISO speed, the grainier the picture will look. Lower ISO speeds produce less grain.
This grain is called noise. High ISO speeds result in more noise in the image. The latest digital SLR cameras use various technologies to reduce this noise, so the image quality is still quite good even at very high ISO speeds."

Is this true?

yes true, digital SLR are far far far stronger than PnS in terms of noise control (except the fuji PnS :embrass:)
but some dSLR doesn't have noise at iso800 as well just that its even close to the extreme (visible and very usable for print). but as for iso3200, its not that good in most dSLR now except for a few rare cases one of which is the Canon 5D :thumbsup:
as for changing of aperture from f8 > f4 for example will give you less DOF

anyway TS is talking about FZ20 which is very very different in terms of noise as compared to dSLR. I can happy shoot at iso 800 or even 1600 (with my D50) and yet get the same amount of noise with FZ20 at iso 200

High ISO matters when you plan to take photos without flash or indoors.. Just try renting some dslr from the forum members and you will easily see what i mean.. my 2 cents

all the ex-lumixers here can related the panasonic ISO issue here well. Keke. Agreed with what LightStalker said. Go play around with dslr, u will get the answer. :)

roadrunner_552 said:
all the ex-lumixers here can related the panasonic ISO issue here well. Keke. Agreed with what LightStalker said. Go play around with dslr, u will get the answer. :)

nono, sld rent a dSLR + PnS (not fuji will do :bsmilie:) and then shoot indoor side-by-side without any flash. :bsmilie:

roadrunner_552 said:

Actually to be honest I didn't even notice the noise until you guys brought it up last time at Clubsnap as well as the Dpreview reviews..

Hexlord said:
Actually to be honest I didn't even notice the noise until you guys brought it up last time at Clubsnap as well as the Dpreview reviews..

if you look closer to the image, you will understand.....

ExplorerZ said:
yes true, digital SLR are far far far stronger than PnS in terms of noise control (except the fuji PnS :embrass:)
but some dSLR doesn't have noise at iso800 as well just that its even close to the extreme (visible and very usable for print). but as for iso3200, its not that good in most dSLR now except for a few rare cases one of which is the Canon 5D :thumbsup:

Not really true... below shows 30D @ ISO 3200.

IMG_9693.jpg

IMG_9714.jpg

Anyway, PeA_NuTz. higher ISO options only means that the cam is more versatile, useful or not really depends on what you are shooting.

PhantomGTR said:
if you look closer to the image, you will understand.....

See.. that's the thing...

In the past people are only concerned with correct focussing, exposure and shutter speed/aperture.

Now that the digital revolution is here, people are concerned over noise... which is also quite prevalent during the film days.

So what's the big deal? :dunno:

CYRN said:
Not really true... below shows 30D @ ISO 3200.

IMG_9693.jpg

IMG_9714.jpg

Anyway, PeA_NuTz. higher ISO options only means that the cam is more versatile, useful or not really depends on what you are shooting.

up to you, to me i think it is not very usable, as noise is so visible even after resizing to this size

Blu uses the DMC-LC50 and DMC-LZ2. Depending on what you are doing and what is your preferance. The noise is bearable..bearing in mind that blu have never used a Konon 5D either...Comparing the $$, blu most likely will be sticking to these for quite some time.
This is taken on one of blu's trip but using a fren's DMC-FX-8. Taken on the lake cruise.
PagodaFX-8.jpg

This is taken with the LC-50
P1000085.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.