Does graphic card affect image quality shown in our monitor?

wisann

Apr 19, 2008
Hm, I know this sounds like a rhetorical question. But somehow I need assurance from you guys :bsmilie:

Recently my HD3870 graphic card was spoiled and it was out of warranty, so :sweat:, and having spent quite some money lately, I bought a cheapo graphic card from challenger for 50 dollars. Well, it worked well in my PC, image is showing, video is playing well. However, I am concerned with the image quality shown. I did quite a lot of image editing on my PC. Do you think I should invest in a good quality graphic card? Or is calibrated monitor with cheapo graphic card already enough?

Hm, I know this sounds like a rhetorical question. But somehow I need assurance from you guys :bsmilie:

Recently my HD3870 graphic card was spoiled and it was out of warranty, so :sweat:, and having spent quite some money lately, I bought a cheapo graphic card from challenger for 50 dollars. Well, it worked well in my PC, image is showing, video is playing well. However, I am concerned with the image quality shown. I did quite a lot of image editing on my PC. Do you think I should invest in a good quality graphic card? Or is calibrated monitor with cheapo graphic card already enough?

If doing stills should be ok. If you are doing video editing, graphics card performance matters a lot.

If doing stills should be ok. If you are doing video editing, graphics card performance matters a lot.

This sounds good :) I am hardly doing any video editing at all. Not even playing games nowadays haha..

Most important: do profile (a.k.a. calibrate) your system again. The new graphics card will not have the same characteristics as the old one. Hope you have done this before.

Noted. Thanks guys.

BTW, if I do calibration on TN panel, what good does it bring? Could it correct the color profile? Or do I still need an IPS panel monitor?

BTW, if I do calibration on TN panel, what good does it bring? Could it correct the color profile? Or do I still need an IPS panel monitor?
It is the same on all monitors: you will get a colour profile matching the characteristics of your equipment so that what you see on screen matches the data in the image file.

It is the same on all monitors: you will get a colour profile matching the characteristics of your equipment so that what you see on screen matches the data in the image file.

Thanks for the explanation :)

I am having dilemma right now. I am thinking of selling my TN Panel monitor (Dell E248WFP) and get an IPS panel monitor. Thinking of Dell U2410 but the price is a bit steep to me. And I saw this Dell UltraSharp 2007FP. How is it compared to Dell U2410? I realized the difference in size but I am willing to downgrade screen size monitor so long I can get an IPS panel monitor to use. Is it a wise decision? :)

Thanks for the explanation :)

I am having dilemma right now. I am thinking of selling my TN Panel monitor (Dell E248WFP) and get an IPS panel monitor. Thinking of Dell U2410 but the price is a bit steep to me. And I saw this Dell UltraSharp 2007FP. How is it compared to Dell U2410? I realized the difference in size but I am willing to downgrade screen size monitor so long I can get an IPS panel monitor to use. Is it a wise decision? :)

Do a google search for the reviews and read... Online reviewers use scientific tools to measure gamma, color accuracy, etc etc etc.