does food taste good with less salt & no MSG

does food taste good with less salt and no MSG?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Yes, but first, you will probably need about a week or so to get accustomed to this "new" taste.

need a bit salt to bring out taste
msg if add too much is horrible tasting - I know. Ate a chicken porridge where hawker got carried away with msg.
a sickly sweet after taste. deadgive away of much msg.

u can also get msg attack.
ache in the neck
got it eating at spring court restaurant decades ago.

Last edited:
you want more salt and msg? come to indonesia nasi padang! hahah.

I was from Indonesia, when i first came to Singapore, the food taste awful, but now get use to it already..

Last edited:
I would said - Depends.....

Use enough 'high-end' stock for cooking.... you don't really need extra salt or any MSG... but making stock could cost alot more $$$$ :sweat:

If a chef has good skill, he can cook very delicious dish even with less salt and no MSG.

If a photographer has good skill, he can even shoot award-winning photographs with low end camera. :thumbsup:

Its all up to the control of the person's who's cooking.

But naturally, abit of salt and msg will bring out/strengthen the flavouring!

Its all up to the control of the person's who's cooking.

But naturally, abit of salt and msg will bring out/strengthen the flavouring!

Well, u can always substitute salt with soya sauce or fish sauce. I haven't included msg for a very very long time in my dishes and initially it will be a lil different on the taste but over time, the taste will grow on you. MSG is unhealthy!!! :p

Well, u can always substitute salt with soya sauce or fish sauce. I haven't included msg for a very very long time in my dishes and initially it will be a lil different on the taste but over time, the taste will grow on you. MSG is unhealthy!!! :p

you may not be aware.
fish sauce is basically msg made by ancient ingenious methods.

you may not be aware.
fish sauce is basically msg made by ancient ingenious methods.

Damn. I was about to find the loophole and u just exposed its flaw!!! :(

Ok, actually I dun use fish sauce in my homecooked food la. Haha. But is light soya sauce a better option? Those that usually have all the red chilli padi swimming inside? :p

The food won't taste good anymore with less salt and no MSG.

But that's definitely much better for the sake of your own health ;)

there is nothing better than food that tastes of natural sweetness and flavours. Some salt will help bring out and accentuate flavours, but not to the point of overpowering everything!

I said that, but i don't use msg when i cook as well. Considering my parents are not young anymore, so i normally use sugar and soya sauce, or oyster sauce etc, depends on what dish it is. Salt yes, as little as possible. Sometimes if its really really bland, then no choice, put for a little flavouring, just a little. Light dishes always.

there is nothing better than food that tastes of natural sweetness and flavours. Some salt will help bring out and accentuate flavours, but not to the point of overpowering everything!

Very true. Its like when you steam vegetables like baby carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, peas etc, you just need that pinch of salt to get the flavours out, after which, the vegetables will naturally taste sweet. Love these. :)

Ok shall we open up a thread asking for healthy recipes? Think might have hidden cooking talents amongst cs-ers. :bsmilie:

act. (from what i feels) those health advise were based on a group of people (eg Westerners who consumes salt like hell through fast food) per se. No advisory can work for all 'species' of humans.

I once went to cheng de in northern china which food is probably saturated with salt but people there loves them and live long too (and not to mention my female tour guide who has a look to die for).

So why not just choose your prefered taste and ENJOY YOUR FOOD?!

act. (from what i feels) those health advise were based on a group of people (eg Westerners who consumes salt like hell through fast food) per se. No advisory can work for all 'species' of humans.

I once went to cheng de in northern china which food is probably saturated with salt but people there loves them and live long too (and not to mention my female tour guide who has a look to die for).

So why not just choose your prefered taste and ENJOY YOUR FOOD?!

Well, I had the shock of my life when my cholestrol level was found to be borderline high. At my age and weight, (yes, I'm petite in size and still in my 20s) it certainly was unexpected. Considering the norm of what I eat, esp Malay food and dishes with the occasional prata and curry, I had to take a step back and control the amt of unhealthy ingredients that go into the food I eat, including salt (although I don't have any HBP) and MSG.

In Singapore, we're exposed to even more types of food, knowing our culture, than those tribes or provinces in China. They might put in more salt in their food but they sure don't eat as much Western food as us here! Haha. Better safe than sorry in the long run, I opt for that. :)

I said that, but i don't use msg when i cook as well. Considering my parents are not young anymore, so i normally use sugar and soya sauce, or oyster sauce etc, depends on what dish it is. Salt yes, as little as possible. Sometimes if its really really bland, then no choice, put for a little flavouring, just a little. Light dishes always.

:thumbsup:

What a caring son... Cook for parents some more... :D

:thumbsup:

What a caring son... Cook for parents some more... :D

Errr... My parents work as well, so we take turns to cook, or we'll just eat out at times when too tired or lazy.

Anyways, once u get used to the taste w/o MSG, its not that bad. But one thing good about MSG and salt is that it makes u more thirsty, so u will drink more water, ahahahaha! :bsmilie:

You need a little bit of salt to activate your taste buds. That's why even chocolate has some salt. But for me, MSG is a big no-no. For salt, use the least amount needed to get the flavor you want.