Does Emjay honor products bought from Adorama?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Babychips

Dec 28, 2010
Hi all,
Planning to buy from Adorama Pentax cam, wondering if Emjay will honor the warranty?

hi

i called emjay regards to the same issue before

thats for lens.

he say overseas purchase must produce purchase docs.
then its local half yr. the over half yr u have to claim overseas. or pay as like no warrentry

I emailed Pentax USA with my USA purchase proof and Singapore address proof. They transferred the remaining warranty period to Singapore for me.

They did this for me for my second K-x kit which I purchased from Amazon. But I have no way of knowing if they still continue to do the same. So email them and do post their decision here so that others who search for this info in the near future can know about this as well.

That said, I bought my K-r and K-5 locally because the price here worked out to be slightly better unlike the time when I purchased my second K-x. So sometimes overseas purchase can result in some nice savings which can be used to purchase other useful accessories. At other times a local purchase might be a more prudent option. At different times its different.

Don't be surprised if you have some of the usual guys who may come in here and "advise" you that you should buy locally because it is good for the local agent! I always wonder why these guys go out of their way to "hound" those you purchase from overseas the same branded products!

Also, last year, Emjay came out with a really nice sweet promotion during Chinese New Year. They may do the same this year. Give them a call and inquire what the chances are of this happening. It may just be a great time to purchase locally during such a promotion period.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
hi all,
thanks so much for your reply. will check with pentax then.

hi all,
thanks so much for your reply. will check with pentax then.

For additional peace of mind, you may want to consider purchasing an International Warranty from Adorama when you purchase the unit.
To return a unit to the US, fully insured, may well cost more than a warranty, which will give you access to local service (and it will be much faster if carried out locally to you)

♫★Best wishes for a Happy, Healthy and Prosperous New Year ★♫

Helen, thanks for your chime in here. Happy new year to you too. Could you please point us to a link to this International Warranty at Adorama. It would benefit those of us who may be interested it buying it.

I emailed Pentax USA with my USA purchase proof and Singapore address proof. They transferred the remaining warranty period to Singapore for me.

They did this for me for my second K-x kit which I purchased from Amazon. But I have no way of knowing if they still continue to do the same. So email them and do post their decision here so that others who search for this info in the near future can know about this as well.

That said, I bought my K-r and K-5 locally because the price here worked out to be slightly better unlike the time when I purchased my second K-x. So sometimes overseas purchase can result in some nice savings which can be used to purchase other useful accessories. At other times a local purchase might be a more prudent option. At different times its different.

Don't be surprised if you have some of the usual guys who may come in here and "advise" you that you should buy locally because it is good for the local agent! I always wonder why these guys go out of their way to "hound" those you purchase from overseas the same branded products!

Also, last year, Emjay came out with a really nice sweet promotion during Chinese New Year. They may do the same this year. Give them a call and inquire what the chances are of this happening. It may just be a great time to purchase locally during such a promotion period.

Hope this helps.

This is what i found:

International Warranty Card
New PENTAX products do not automatically come with an international warranty that covers all PENTAX products around the world. However, it is possible to obtain an International Warranty Card through PENTAX Imaging Company after you have purchased a PENTAX product. If you bought your PENTAX product in the United States and are traveling to a foreign country for an extended period of time, we can send you an International Warranty Card to cover your product while you are abroad. We will also send you a list of authorized service centers around the world.

To obtain an International Warranty Card, please send the below-listed items to PENTAX Imaging Company, 600 12th Street, Suite 300, Golden, CO 80401:
A copy of your dated proof of purchase, with the name and address of the U.S. dealer.
The serial number on your PENTAX product (if it has one).

If you bought your PENTAX product in another country, and you are planning to visit the United States, we can send you an International Warranty Card to cover your product while you are within the United States. You will need to send us the following items:
A copy of your dated proof of purchase.
The serial number on your PENTAX product (if it has one).
We will fill out an International Warranty Card and mail it to you. The time period and product coverage provided by the International Warranty Card is the same as the standard PENTAX Limited Warranty (as specified above).

I can confirm that this is pretty much exactly what Pentax did for me for my USA purchased Pentax camera. Glad that Pentax has this International transfer policy. I did not have to pay anything extra.

Does that mean if i purchase a lens from china, i can send Pentax the proof of purchase to get a warranty to be covered in sg too?

Don't assume things are the same today. What I experienced was last year. Things may be different now... especially in the light of someone posting earlier that International Warranty is now only for first 6 months upon transfer... if availed locally during the remaining 6 months it will be treated as "No Warranty"... in other words, practically speaking, assuming the person who stated this earlier did not make a mistake, the effective local warranty coverage gets halved.

Best to contact Pentax directly to confirm 100%. Don't rely only upon what you read here.

Dear all,
Checked with Pentax USA, seems that they will only convert the warranty if the product is purchased in USA, or if a local product is brought into the USA, and must be within the covered period.

For other countries, even if it is an international warranty, it is still up to our local branch, Emjay to decide if they will accept.

After all said, I have already purchased pentax kix from T Dimension, HK. Can't wait for my new cam to arrived! I have too, checked with them regarding the warranty, seems like they do not offer international or transfer of warranty to local, but their own company warranty, best thing was, it also covers shipping cost as well. For being new in this photography thing, after comparing kits, prices against the different countries and companies, I felt the kit I bought was worth the price they quote. I would recommend T Dimension to anyone out their looking to buy cam products. :)

You are being very unreasonable here. Seems like you are going out of your way to be obnoxious.

There is a thin fine line between presenting a different point of view, and going out of your way to drum on it at every opportunity. This is called trolling. No one had come in, so you are just pre-empting something which may not even materialise. If you had commented on this issue after someone had given such advice it would make more sense. It seems that you are more than happy to brandish various unrelated issues around for the sake of attempting to be heard and gathering more people to your side. Please refrain from such anti-social behaviour and be more objective.

I think you do not know much history of Pentax before Emjay came along. I do not like to badmouth the last distro, but they were horrible. They had many other things on their plate which they clearly prioritised, so they boh chup Pentax arm.

Emjay on the other hand has been quite active in reaching out to the community, it has proactively engaged members here, and it takes the trouble to try to promote Pentax and not neglect it.

Sure, it's up to YOU to want to buy from whoever you want, but I think it's reasonable to say that we, as members, who know that the local distro is putting in this effort and listens to feedback actively... Show some form of appreciation. Certainly you would give that some thought, instead of painting it as some sort of unreasonable request to buy locally.

Don't need to be so bitter when people comment that the eventual price also almost the same. If it is really a matter of $20-$30, I think it's fair enough to say that when you are a working person, you don't need to scrimp to that level. That said, it's your money.

Last edited:
I know about the previous distro before Emjay. I have been a Pentaxian for many years... was an avid user of several Pentax film cameras many years ago.

I am not talking about a merely $20-$30 difference. Did I mention such a scrawny amount of savings anywhere? I bought my first K-x locally from MS Color in Singapore as soon as it was launched. Prices were near about the same as USA then.

My second K-x I bought as a twin-lens kit (18-55 & 55-300) from Amazon during their annual X'mas/New Year sale. I remember saving about $125 or thereabouts on the overseas purchase. Plus I got my international warranty fully transferred to Singapore by Pentax USA for free as well... as I already outlined above. Plus I didn't have to drive down to MS Color the second time. Time saved is money saved as well.

$125 as total net savings works out to be about 10% savings on the cost of the item + with full warranty + taking into account the cost of shipping to my doorstep. It was absolutely worth it for me then and I also made a post for others to benefit at the time. Guess what happened to that post? It was locked soon thereafter by the moderator.

I was sharing information with others how sometimes nice deals are available online for those who may be interested. Besides, the twin lens kit wasn't even in stock in Sg at the time I wanted to buy it. I was told to wait for 15-20 days till the new shipment came in... and that too would have been available at a higher price.

Eventually, some weeks later during CNY and thereafter, local prices were readjusted to approximate the U.S. price... and for a brief period (near CNY) even went lower than the U.S. price... but some of us don't like to wait too long for our own personal reasons. Sometimes we need to buy the gear asap for an upcoming trip or holiday or event... and why shouldn't we do so online if we can get it at a nice discount too compared to local prices?!?!?!

That thread didn't need to be locked at all. It could have been left open to eventually fizzle out. There was no trolling or thread deterioration. In fact some of us were having a fine discussion and tracking the ups and downs of international prices for the hot selling K-x then.

Out here the common modus operandi (a common Latin phrase meaning 'mode of operation') is a "friendly" poster recommends thread closure and the moderator then closes the thread without allowing the TS the right to do so. Even for normal threads where no trolling or verbal deterioration has taken place.

I am a regular visitor and contributor to several popular forums. I am not being unreasonable in my expectations at all. I'd appreciate it if we discussed this privately henceforth. No point in diverting from the main topic inside this thread any further. Hope you agree.

Last edited:
Maybe for those of us who likes to buy stuffs that are cheaper via online send to our doorstep, we shouldn't expect the local agent to warranty on the item? Unless of course the brand has international warranty like Olympus & Panasonic.

That thread didn't need to be locked. It could have been left open to eventually fizzle out. There was no trolling or thread deterioration. In fact some of us were having a fine discussion and tracking the ups and downs of international prices for the hot selling K-x then.

I think you have to understand my comments.

It is not made in context of that thread. It is made in context of current behaviour.

Sometimes, don't take things on the forums too seriously. Life's too short. You can't always expect everyone to agree with you. Anyways, it was locked, not deleted.. :)

+1 to edutilos-'s response.
I have to say your comments here are unwarranted and slanderous to say the least. Whatever your comments seem to imply, it is not supported by fact.

That thread didn't need to be locked at all. It could have been left open to eventually fizzle out. There was no trolling or thread deterioration. In fact some of us were having a fine discussion and tracking the ups and downs of international prices for the hot selling K-x then.

Out here the common modus operandi (a common Latin phrase meaning 'mode of operation') is a "friendly" poster recommends thread closure and the moderator then closes the thread without allowing the TS the right to do so. Even for normal threads where no trolling or verbal deterioration has taken place.

I am a regular visitor and contributor to several popular forums. I am not being unreasonable in my expectations at all. I'd appreciate it if we discussed this privately henceforth. No point in diverting from the main topic inside this thread any further. Hope you agree.

For the benefit of everyone, I refer to the thread that you had started last year. Yet again, it appears that you are continuing where you left off.
http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651630

It appears like you're still "buay song" over the past incident of thread closure and are trying to be an agent provocateur to justify your own position, to incite and cast aspersions here. As explained by CS moderator chngpe01 when he closed the thread then,
... in fact you have contravene CS term of Use rule#1 "personal attacks on members and/or generally trying to stir up trouble will not be tolerated". also rule #5 `"malicious, personal attacks or self-promoting messages."

Last edited:
ok everyone..pls dun take it personal. I was just needing some input from experience people. and thanks to all that did give their opinion. I did learn alot from all the feedbacks as well as my own readups. lets let e matter rest. :)

I'm also considering buying from Adorama... I agree that in some cases buying online can save you a lot. here's an example:

Last week, I was quoted by SLRR for DA*16-50 about SGD1,350 (cash)
My cart below amounts to about SGD1,320 including shipping and tax. so that's still about 30$ savings for repairs/return shipment (though probably not needed based on recent anecdotes on this lens.)

my_cart.jpg

ok everyone..pls dun take it personal. I was just needing some input from experience people. and thanks to all that did give their opinion. I did learn alot from all the feedbacks as well as my own readups. lets let e matter rest. :)

Its not personal.
Is just that someone here has an axe to grind, does not post real photos, has questionable ownership of a Pentax DSLR (esp. a K5), and certainly questionable intentions.

To him, I say : "Show us your PENTAX" :bsmilie:

As has been pointed out in other posts and here, he only has a very repeating statement to make. Drawn only to posts here regarding overseas purchases and not buying local like a moth to flame.

In all purchases, we need to do our research.
For overseas purchases that save above a personal threshold (I'd say at least $100 or more), its probably worth it.

To those thinking of saving a few dollars to deal with the hassle of online purchase; waiting time; delivery issues; warranty issues and trouble of shipping back and forth and many frustrating emails to settle issues with the seller (remember, US is 12hrs delta from us, email in our morning, get a reply only tomorrow, etc), consider all this.
Yes, just think of the sensor stain issue for example and how it would have affected you by the multitude of email interchanges and waiting times for a new camera (which may also have a problem). All this discounting shipping charges incurred.
I've been there, done that. Email interchange can take one whole week or more just to resolve.

Think also this. No local distro, or a very lousy one, means NO availability of anything new from PENTAX; NO K5/Kr (and future cameras) delivered fast and at one of the best prices the world over; and very importantly NO servicing support; lastly and sadly a dwindling Pentaxian community as people leave for other systems and no new entrants to the brand.

Is all this worth $20-30 dollars?

rant over

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.