Does decreasing aperture and shutter speed lead to brighter colours in pics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

blowblue

Jan 20, 2007
Just wondering with the question above..cuz i saw one claim on flickr.

I am new, but I try to help answer. Brighter is definitely. However, color saturation/contrast depend how well you adjust your setting.

Dun scold me if I am wrong, I am learning too!!

Put yr camera into full manual mode and try it...

If you are talking about decreasing the physical size of the shutter (i.e. bigger f/ stop no.), then 1 thing for sure - it leads to a longer exposure duration for a properly exposed shot (else, you'll probably be seeing a dark screen).

I guess on the note about brighter colours, perhaps it depends on the image processor of your cam (or if you're talking about SLRs without the D, it will be the quality of the film). At least the way I look at it is not brighter colours, but "over exposed" colours leading the colours captured nearer to the brighter end (almost reaching a white out situation).

Am I right?? I dun know. It was just based on my own logical understanding of "How things works"...;)

ok, first things first:

- the aperture control adjusts the "aperture" diaphragm which affects the amount of light entering the camera, and this is marked in f-stops, with a smaller number meaning the aperture is opened wider and more light can enter, and a large number meaning the opposite; (adjusting the aperture also affects how much of an image is sharp but that's a different story)

- the shutter is the "door" infront of the sensor that determines the shutter speed, ie. the duration the sensor is exposed to light, although in point-and-shoot cameras, there might not be a physical shutter and instead the duration of exposure is determined electronically, but the principle of duration of light hitting the sensor is the same;

these two controls affect the amount of light hitting the sensor, thus affecting the exposure and resultant brightness of the image captured... however, one has to make the differentiation between image brightness and "colour brightness", which I assume means the saturation of the colours... in the latter case, the aperture and shutter control has very little to do with it except in cases where the exposure is too much or too little and the resultant image is far too bright or far too dark... :)

I guess what both of you are saying is that, decreasing the aperture (i.e. increasing the f number) and increasing the shutter speed has nothing to do with increasing the saturation of colours?

That's what I thought, cuz I have never heard of a way of increasing the saturation of colours other than photoshop or saturation controls in the camera. Thanks for clarifying my doubt.

On the same note...

Can someone advise if settings like 'Normal', 'Vivid', 'More vivid' does anything to the overall quality of the pic? I understand that the processor would tend to enhance the colours but what about IQ?

Regards

depends on the lens design and the color sensitivity of it..

if you take a picture with the 50mm f1.8 you will realize at f1.8 the color sensitivity is not as good as stopped down...

On the same note...

Can someone advise if settings like 'Normal', 'Vivid', 'More vivid' does anything to the overall quality of the pic? I understand that the processor would tend to enhance the colours but what about IQ?

Regards

Sonds like vivid might bump up the contrast and saturation ands possibly sharpness more than a 'normal' setting.

So its a trade off for the f1.8?
But this is still related to lens. How about just the internal camera settings? Between vivid and normal? Any drop in sharpness?

Those settings only affect how the camera processes the RAW data. It can help boost contrast and saturation if lacking but there's a chance the individual colour channels might clip and you lose details in the process. If the lens dosnt resolve the details for the sensor to capture no amount of editing can bring it back. The relative sharpness in the pics would depend on how much sharpening is applied to the image and varies greatly from camera to camera. Same idea also applies, if the lens cannot resolve that much detail over sharpening to make it look sharp will only result in sharpening artefacts.

isn't saturation of colour due to the type of glass a lens uses?

they say L-glass gives you :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: colour.

and i agree.

but if you want to talk about boosting saturation (shot with a dslr) i think pp is the only way to do so.

and if you want to boost saturation with film, slides? richer colour, yeah??

anyway, TS why don't you post the flickr claim's link here.

Most lenses have an aperture setting where they achieve their optimum sharpness and saturation so i guess for that lens stopping down helped to increase the saturation out of camera :)

it's generally accepted that if you shoot film, you should overexpose (either opening up or slowing down) to get better contrast and tonality.

for digital it's a little trickier.. but from experience i would still say that the above is still true to some extent.

so to answer the question, yes, overexposing somewhat CAN LEAD to more contrasty and saturated images. it doesn't mean that you will get it instantly.

Think aperture and shutter speed does not affect the colours much.

Think the following does have some effect though:

ISO - higher ISO affects the contrast of the colours according to an article I read in a magazine.

Lens - Some lens gives a warmer color while others a cooler color but the overall colour variation should be consistent with the lens used.

Model used - different mode used on the camera gives different colour and saturation. It is the same as doing it on PS just that the camera does it for you. Think if shoot in raw, there is no difference.

White Balance - Think this one is quite standard. A wrong WB gives a wrong colour. Though there's nothing as a really "wrong" WB since if the end result gives the right mood then it's good.

Think thats about all I know. Maybe wrong somewhere.

it's generally accepted that if you shoot film, you should overexpose (either opening up or slowing down) to get better contrast and tonality.

for digital it's a little trickier.. but from experience i would still say that the above is still true to some extent.

so to answer the question, yes, overexposing somewhat CAN LEAD to more contrasty and saturated images. it doesn't mean that you will get it instantly.

Opps the master have spoken, didnt read what he have said. Can I say that, by deliberately overexposing and under exposing, we are actually trying to either preserve the highlight (over) or shadows (under) so that when we PS we can get the effects we wanted? But in the process we will have to loss some of the dynamic range?

ps to jOhO: Like your photos very much, hope to be able to shoot with my style one day too

Depends.

If you're following the onboard meter in your camera, whether it is 1/500 f/16 or 1/1000 f/8 it's all the same. The exposure values remain the same as what the meter perceives the light readings to be.

If you override the meter using the Manual mode, you do get brighter pictures, but not better colours as the shot would now look washed out and faded. If you overexpose it by a little, say 1/3 stop using a film camera loaded with colour negs, it might look a bit brighter. Digital has less latitude then film so it's harder to achieve that on it.

I usually just play with the saturation bar in my favourite photo editing software. Why risk blowing the shot?

Samue;

If I were to answer this qn separately, yes decreasing shutter speed will increase brightness since more amt of light enters at a given time. No decreasing aperture size (increasing f-stop) will reduce the brightness instead.

If put together, decreasing say 1 stop of shutter speed and 1 stop of aperture size will not result in any changes

so i guess saturation of colors cannot be controlled by apertur & shutter speed?

If I were to answer this qn separately, yes decreasing shutter speed will increase brightness since more amt of light enters at a given time. No decreasing aperture size (increasing f-stop) will reduce the brightness instead.

If put together, decreasing say 1 stop of shutter speed and 1 stop of aperture size will not result in any changes

Status
Not open for further replies.