Does Composition Matter Anymore?

Does composition matter anymore?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taurean

Sep 8, 2005
White Elephants Town
With DSLRs becoming so affordable, it seems like every other Tom Dick Sally and Wendy gets the impression that any photo is art, so no need to bother with ANYTHING. It is scary to see some of the pictures being posted, more pathetic to see how the thread starters may not even care about honest comments given in the spirit of helping them improve. So, just want to get an idea -

dont be surprise that some ppl even dare post their snap shots taken with a dslr over here in some of the sub forums.
composition comes with yrs of knowledge and experience to get it right.
i know one of my sis friends use a d80 for snapshots of herself !

Even on digital it is very important. Resolution affects the quality of the prints, and a lot of dslr cannot do good large prints compares to film. Imo composition is actually more important since you are working with lower resolution.

Just my 2c.

With DSLRs becoming so affordable, it seems like every other Tom Dick Sally and Wendy gets the impression that any photo is art, so no need to bother with ANYTHING. It is scary to see some of the pictures being posted, more pathetic to see how the thread starters may not even care about honest comments given in the spirit of helping them improve. So, just want to get an idea -

Art is subjective ma :bsmilie:

But as to accepting critics is something else altogether. Different people react differently and take things differently. That cannot help. But the way of delivering and wording feedback itself is an art as well.

As to composition, if there is non, then what is photography.

Ryan

i agree, that was not very nice and uncivil

infraction given
and link deleted

Now i'm curious! What did he do? What does the link show?

Anyway back to topic, I think composition is the most important thing. equipment you can buy, techniques you can learn but composition, I guess, comes with practice and experience. some people just have that natural ability to see/compose a good shot, something which I'm still learning.

It depends on who the photographer is. A picture of an excrement taken by a famous photographer can be called a masterpiece of art, while one taken by a nobody is just an sh1tty photograph.

Surprised, to see such a poll from you, Taurean.

Even more surprised to see the results (as of time of this post). More like a "right answer to give" responses? :dunno:

From a personal standpoint, I'd feel it still matters. Moreso in this generation of instant gratification and high-tech. And whether pro or otherwise, the need for some sense of composition is just as necessary.

But, whether it matters anymore, that will be on the shoulders of each snap-happy individual. If I base it on the crowds I get for my outings these last 6 months, it'd probably not matter to most of them. Most of them are more interested in buying new gears than making decent pictures. And I mean decent. Sad to say, all that instant gratification mentality nowadays does produce more camera-toting snappers.

Well, I hardly want to bother with the bulk of the nonsense pictures appearing on most forums nowadays. The general trend in attitudes is really not worth time nor effort.

I do also wonder why so little bother to select the grouping option. :think:

Surprised, to see such a poll from you, Taurean.

Even more surprised to see the results (as of time of this post). More like a "right answer to give" responses? :dunno:

From a personal standpoint, I'd feel it still matters. Moreso in this generation of instant gratification and high-tech. And whether pro or otherwise, the need for some sense of composition is just as necessary.

But, whether it matters anymore, that will be on the shoulders of each snap-happy individual. If I base it on the crowds I get for my outings these last 6 months, it'd probably not matter to most of them. Most of them are more interested in buying new gears than making decent pictures. And I mean decent. Sad to say, all that instant gratification mentality nowadays does produce more camera-toting snappers.

Well, I hardly want to bother with the bulk of the nonsense pictures appearing on most forums nowadays. The general trend in attitudes is really not worth time nor effort.

I do also wonder why so little bother to select the grouping option. :think:

What would you do, since you mentioned that the general trend in attitudes is not worth your time nor effort?

What would you do, since you mentioned that the general trend in attitudes is not worth your time nor effort?

Simple. Find like-minded good people to share with and learn from.

And what of yourself? Does the issue of composition matter to you, are you irked by the increasing absence of it, or are you happy enough staying a rut, as many seem content to be?

sorry to OT slightly. In my opinion, it is not just about composition but the overall photography technic is still very important to the world of professional and the serious armature photographers.

Take golf for example, Tiger Woods makes golf swing appearing so simple that he gives all the golfers a wrong impression that they can swing like Tiger Woods. But in reality, only a very rare few could achieve the swings that close to him, as consistent, hitting as far as he is.

Digital photography is just the same as golf game. To some, they continue to hone and improve their photography skills. Some just dream to be like Tiger Wood but never bother the basic, but after a while they give up upon realizing the reality. Yet many others like me, play golf once in a while, have fun, catch up with friend, any swing will do, does not matter the outcome, more importantly, we laugh at each other , enjoy the game and have fun.

At times Tiger may hit some swing out of ordinary, but the swings are still as beautiful and the outcome are still as impressive. So is photography, I do see some pictures which did not following any conventional guidelines, but are as awesome.

So would Tiger Woods give up his training and golf as his career because of many lousy golfers?

At times Tiger may hit some swing out of ordinary, but the swings are still as beautiful and the outcome are still as impressive.

results matter most! who care if u dun compose, suck technically, and missed the moment but somehow still manage to get shot that works? lomo anyone?

i once went bowling with a colleague who swing the ball horribly, but he consistently get above 200pts!:bigeyes:

of coz u get higher chances if u do all 3, and people will look at your pic and appreciate that u were fully in control :bsmilie:

The question is not whether composition matters or not. Most photographers know and will agree that it is one of, if not, the most important aspect of photography.

The only difference is some does it better than others. Some can only try and copy what others can create.

Tiger Woods is a pro, he plays his own game.... doesn't really need to bother with the weekend casual golfer and hence most pros will not bother.

sorry to OT slightly. In my opinion, it is not just about composition but the overall photography technic is still very important to the world of professional and the serious armature photographers.

Take golf for example, Tiger Woods makes golf swing appearing so simple that he gives all the golfers a wrong impression that they can swing like Tiger Woods. But in reality, only a very rare few could achieve the swings that close to him, as consistent, hitting as far as he is.

Digital photography is just the same as golf game. To some, they continue to hone and improve their photography skills. Some just dream to be like Tiger Wood but never bother the basic, but after a while they give up upon realizing the reality. Yet many others like me, play golf once in a while, have fun, catch up with friend, any swing will do, does not matter the outcome, more importantly, we laugh at each other , enjoy the game and have fun.

At times Tiger may hit some swing out of ordinary, but the swings are still as beautiful and the outcome are still as impressive. So is photography, I do see some pictures which did not following any conventional guidelines, but are as awesome.

So would Tiger Woods give up his training and golf as his career because of many lousy golfers?

It depends on who the photographer is. A picture of an excrement taken by a famous photographer can be called a masterpiece of art, while one taken by a nobody is just an sh1tty photograph.

So it becomes a masterpiece because the famous photographer thinks about composition? or Just because of his reputation?

The way I see it. Many are just contented trotting around with a professional looking camera in hand. Photos are just a by-product. They savor every moment the shutter clicks not because they know an outstanding photo had been created but in appreciation of the clinical mechanical movements their cameras are capable of.

They take pictures of newspaper and rulers just to make sure their "investments" are flawless and well worth the money. Threatening to buy newer cameras and lenses from rival brands if whatever they own do not perform up to their "stringent standards". They sulk at comments targetted at their photos (with the exception of "good job, well done, whatever) because then they realise that their cameras and lenses are no long good enough for them but would recover in no time because they have an excuse for the latest and greatest yet again.

Taping up every single inch of their investments because a microscopic hair would send them ballistic. They take pride in selling a 3 year old mint conditioned camera. Reason for selling? "Haven't used the camera much so I'm selling it to raise money for the next great in line". Sounds familiar?

Composition is not something that comes to mind when I see them.

Status
Not open for further replies.