Does calling "lens" - " a piece of glass" makes ones appear knowledgeable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swhyge

Apr 5, 2003
Jurong
Visit site
I wonder, after noting the frequency of usage in this forum?

i agree. writing long paragraphs have the same effect too! :bsmilie:

technically...no, it juz shows total lack of understanding.

cuz lenses are made up of a series of GLASSES. :bsmilie:

it's just an expression right? you can call it a lens, a len, a piece of glass or... my PRECIOUS... ;p

technically...no, it juz shows total lack of understanding.

cuz lenses are made up of a series of GLASSES. :bsmilie:

And not just glass from a Coke bottle mind you! :bsmilie:

it's just an expression right? you can call it a lens, a len, a piece of glass or... my PRECIOUS... ;p

In the same spirit, what would a mirror lens be used for? ;p

It's not just a piece of glass, it's a collection of groups and elements of glass and other materials! hoho! Do I sound knowledgable? :p

I wonder, after noting the frequency of usage in this forum?

No it doesn't. Because if you open one up, it consists of several pieces of glass arranged in several groups, held together by an optical tube assemble which can be made of metal or plastic. It also contains precision spacers to hold the groups of lenses apart precisely. Calling a "photographic lens" which is complex "a piece of glass" just shows an attitude problem.

The elements of lens is not always made from glass. Plastic have an advantages too.

Regards,
Arto.

The elements of lens is not always made from glass. Plastic have an advantages too.

Regards,
Arto.

Good point. Shall we start calling kit lenses "a cheap piece of plastic"? ;p

Hmm, you sure that the optical elements of kit lenses are made of plastic?

Good point. Shall we start calling kit lenses "a cheap piece of plastic"? ;p

seriously, do not understand the need for this thread.

same here. I think its just a photographer slang. Photography or otherwise, when one spends a long time in one field, one tends to gather a good collection of slang, and when/if a newbie (i am a one) starts using slang indiscriminately, the newbie generally ends up looking like a wannabe rather than like a seasoned veteran.

Blatant generalization, but there you are. I am *not* saying that slang must be exclusively reserved for veterans.

Status
Not open for further replies.