Does buying new equipment help keep up ur interest in photography?

Does buying new equipment help you keep ur interest in photography going?


Results are only viewable after voting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Splutter

Senior Member
Dec 28, 2003
2,909
0
0
35
Gim Boon Tai
www.splutterphotography.com
#1
Boys being boys, even at older ages, ur still an old boy :bsmilie: Think that most people who enjoys photography likes to purchase new equipment to play with it. I think to a certain extent, purchasing new "toys" helps to keep the interest going. What do u guys think?
 

Cash

Deregistered
Jan 10, 2004
200
0
0
#2
i often look for the most comfortable and the right tools for the job but always end up using the same cameras/lenses that i oredi own.

i guess my answer is no then.
 

mich_2103

New Member
Jul 26, 2003
193
0
0
35
Visit site
#3
Splutter said:
Boys being boys, even at older ages, ur still an old boy :bsmilie: Think that most people who enjoys photography likes to purchase new equipment to play with it. I think to a certain extent, purchasing new "toys" helps to keep the interest going. What do u guys think?
Hi,
Just curious, why boys? Why such specification, boys? Um...

Anyway, I believe every member in ClubSNAP is aware how expensive photography is. So, unless you came from some millionaire or minister's family and you can afford to spend hundreds and often thousands of dollars on photography gear to "play", I think not everyone can afford to do that.

For me, I will rather invest in a lens that I will use often in the long run. It hurts me also to see lens lying in my dry-cabinet and not using them.

Regards,
-Michelle- :D
 

Splutter

Senior Member
Dec 28, 2003
2,909
0
0
35
Gim Boon Tai
www.splutterphotography.com
#4
Well, the idea can be extended to gals too of coz. Supposedly u have got all the lenses u need to cover all the ranges, then newer lenses with some extra features come out or newer camera bodies come out, won't ppl want to upgrade to those? (Financially allowing that is) From what I have observed, that seems to be true for some ppl. Not that it is anything wrong with it. Just feel that photography is not just about taking pictures, but also having the equipment as there is a "collector" in all of us and sometimes purchasing a new product increases the level of interest in photography?
 

theITguy

Senior Member
Sep 19, 2003
3,142
0
0
In this small world
Visit site
#5
Splutter said:
Well, the idea can be extended to gals too of coz. Supposedly u have got all the lenses u need to cover all the ranges, then newer lenses with some extra features come out or newer camera bodies come out, won't ppl want to upgrade to those? (Financially allowing that is) From what I have observed, that seems to be true for some ppl. Not that it is anything wrong with it. Just feel that photography is not just about taking pictures, but also having the equipment as there is a "collector" in all of us and sometimes purchasing a new product increases the level of interest in photography?

I must agree that for many of us, buying new equipment do keepup the interest in photography. At the end of the day, you will feel bored as the so called "passion" dies out. For me, I started out as one of the many, but later realised that pictures from my camera are what I enjoyed to see. Such moments are what photography means to me rather than owning the equipment which makes me look a little pro.
 

concuss

New Member
Feb 6, 2003
342
0
0
Jurong West
Visit site
#7
I feel that if you feel the need to buy "toys" to upkeep your interest in the hobby.... that's sad....

Personally, the situation in which you take pictures changes all the time... no two sunrises are exactly the same, no two sunsets are exactly the same... etc.. u get my point...

So, with your current equipment, shooting itself will keep you interested in the hobby, cos u never know what u will get! :bsmilie:

If you need to substantiate your hobby by always getting the thrill from buying a new toy, then that's sad... maybe you should look elsewhere for an interest.

For me, buying something new dosen't buy me thrill... it buys me added possibilities... ;)
 

clive

Senior Member
Oct 9, 2002
2,537
0
0
Visit site
#8
if hobbys have no toys... then boys will be zombies =)
 

Jun 2, 2002
975
0
0
hErE lAh
#10
mich_2103 said:
Hi,
Just curious, why boys? Why such specification, boys? Um...

It hurts me also to see lens lying in my dry-cabinet and not using them.

Regards,
-Michelle- :D
Boys? cos there's this saying "boys & their toys" .....

OH i know the feeling abt leaving things in dry cab & not using. When that happens its time to SELL SELL SELL
 

willo

New Member
Mar 1, 2004
49
0
0
#11
Haahaa...Interesting...Although i chose the first one, I really think it's both for me. I won't buy new lens unless i really need em...but once, i got em in my hands, they will be like a new toy to me....of cos, i will still use my old lens...anyway, I won't buy something tat's about the same as the old one. The difference must be substantial to justify the purchase....cos utlimately my pocket is not deep... :D
 

Jia Wang

New Member
Feb 20, 2004
1,306
0
0
43
Starry Night
www.pbase.com
#14
I guess in the digital age, the 'expiry-date' (read: date when it is replaced by better and more powerful models) of our beloved gadgets become shorter and shorter. The need for buying new equipment hence become more or less like little race to keep ourselves up-to-date...

At least the technology for lens is not as 'turbulant' as digicams, otherwise it's gonna be an even more expensive hobby... :bsmilie:
 

fuzzyduck

New Member
Mar 20, 2004
29
0
0
#15
hmm i dunno, yet. i buy what i think i can use 1st. if i outgrow or if it is found to be lacking in certain areas then i will buy again/upgrade.

i think it should be the other way round for me. interest in photography keeps me buying new equipment? beginner thoughts :)
 

showtime

New Member
May 2, 2003
984
0
0
39
Singapore
Visit site
#16
shooting beautiful photos keeps my interest... so if a cheap 50mm f1.8 nikkor lens ($175 brand new) allows me to achieve that, thats all i need to keep the interest.
 

xmen1977

New Member
Jun 30, 2002
944
0
0
40
CCK
xmen1977.clubsnap.org
#17
lavenderlilz said:
Boys? cos there's this saying "boys & their toys" .....

OH i know the feeling abt leaving things in dry cab & not using. When that happens its time to SELL SELL SELL

And its time to BUY BUY BUY... :D
 

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom