Does Brand Matter ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eshban

Nov 13, 2007
Hi all,

I am new to photography. I have to buy this camera "Fujifilm Finepix S5700". Someone have told me to buy some Cannon or Nikon camera because the brand of Cannon or Nikon are famous and reliable. Please tell me,

1) Is the brand matters or not?
2) How's this "Fujifilm Finepix S5700"? Is it reliable?
3) Is there any other competitor of this camera in equivalent price? I've found this camera for "£130". :)

I am buying this camera because it has good features and it is under my budget.(£130 - 140)

thanks in advance,

Waqas

Never read much about the S5700 myself. But if I were buying a small compact camera and didn't need that big zoom range, I'd be going for a Fuji F50fd.

Brand doesn't usually matter. Ultimately what's important is that you like the features of the camera, the way it handles, the rendering of the images etc. Read as many reviews as you can, especially the likes at DCResource and DPReview.

brand does not matter if you're talking about producing good pictures. every brand of camera has produced breathtaking pictures no matter hwo you look at it

but it does matter if you're talking about pros, cons and the compromises that YOU, the user are willing to take, and those you are not willing to take. this will help you decide what sort of brand you are going for.

do note that 5700 has no FULL manual mode. other than that, fujifilm is a pretty solid brand, imho.. definitely worth consideration. it is an established brand compared to all the mixed up weird china brands (like what grandvision la, etc).. and vivitar, at least if you're looking for digital cameras with good IQ (image quality).

fWord,

I need a camera having good zoom, good colors and image quality. Here is a review for "Fuji FinePix S5700": http://www.tech.co.uk/gadgets/digital-cameras/digital-cameras/review/fujifilm-finepix-s5700

I like the scenes to be snapped as: Portrait, Indoor, Landscape, Macro. and the nature.

The point why I am asking about the brand: I want a durable camera that should not having any functional problem at least next 1.5 yrs.

thanks

fWord,

I need a camera having good zoom, good colors and image quality. Here is a review for "Fuji FinePix S5700": http://www.tech.co.uk/gadgets/digital-cameras/digital-cameras/review/fujifilm-finepix-s5700

I like the scenes to be snapped as: Portrait, Indoor, Landscape, Macro. and the nature.

The point why I am asking about the brand: I want a durable camera that should not having any functional problem at least next 1.5 yrs.

thanks

As night86mare says, the camera doesn't have a full manual mode. I'm not sure if the F50fd has it either. But a manual mode or at least an aperture priority mode is useful if you want a camera to 'grow' into over the next one to two years.

Given no freak accidents or failures, a camera when treated properly, should give you a few years of problem-free service. These cameras aren't durable in a manner that allows them to be dropped or to take a lot of moisture, so exercise due care with them.

I personally know of the Canon S5 IS and its older siblings that are wonderful superzoom cameras, but I don't want to sway your decision that way because I know very little about these cameras.

I think that brand discrimination is a quick way to eliminate candidate solutions if you are able to get a general 'overall' judgement on the brand. However, this may also eliminate possible cameras which may have suited you. Brand may not matter for photography, but for gear, definitely :D

I have no idea about "manual mode or an aperture priority mode", what are those and why should I need them?

Cannon S5 SI is out of my range. And please tell me about a couple of things in these cameras:
1) Battery: I've seen AA for many of cameras, please tell me how can I check that a camera package have rechargeable battery? I mean, which battery is rechargeable ? I think AA is not rechargeable.

2) Somebody suggested me to buy a 2nd hand camera in this range (130-150 pounds). Please tell me, Are these used cameras reliable or not? (as I am not experienced to test a used camera)
3) If you suggest me to buy a used camera then can anybody tell me some good and reliable shop or website in UK for used cameras?

thanks!

1) Battery: I've seen AA for many of cameras, please tell me how can I check that a camera package have rechargeable battery? I mean, which battery is rechargeable ? I think AA is not rechargeable.

AA rechargeable batteries have been on the market for many, many, many years...

2) Somebody suggested me to buy a 2nd hand camera in this range (130-150 pounds). Please tell me, Are these used cameras reliable or not? (as I am not experienced to test a used camera)

This is VERY hard to tell. Unless you are an expert on the camera brand, you may or may not have a problem. It may last you 10 years, it may last you 10 days.

thanks

durability wise, almost every brand is equal, if they are established, sometimes it's all about the luck, and also how you treat the camera is important.

do note that the wide end of fujifilm 5700 is not as wide (35+mm?) as some other prosumers (prosumer = point and shoot cameras that are larger, but not that large, and not dslr either).. so if you are really, really into landscapes, you might consider other cameras with a wider wide end..

Hi all,

I am new to photography. I have to buy this camera "Fujifilm Finepix S5700". Someone have told me to buy some Cannon or Nikon camera because the brand of Cannon or Nikon are famous and reliable. Please tell me,

1) Is the brand matters or not?
2) How's this "Fujifilm Finepix S5700"? Is it reliable?
3) Is there any other competitor of this camera in equivalent price? I've found this camera for "£130". :)

I am buying this camera because it has good features and it is under my budget.(£130 - 140)

thanks in advance,

Waqas

The other good Fuji cam is the S6500FD, if you can still get it in the UK. I have used it before and the shots are great, but it feels and looks like a DSLR as you hav the lens barrel to "twist" from wide to zoom. Great cam.

I now own the Olymous SP560UZ and have not tried it out yet. Just got it last Friday the 23rd of November 2007.

I dunno if the person who told you what he did knows his stuff but if purely on brands for cameras, Fujifilm is not bad. Their cameras produce nice photos too. Check out the S3 Pro.

felixcat8888, good luck with your new cam. I can't go for S6500FD coz, it's over my budget.

Originally Posted by night86mare:
durability wise, almost every brand is equal, if they are established, sometimes it's all about the luck, and also how you treat the camera is important.

do note that the wide end of fujifilm 5700 is not as wide (35+mm?) as some other prosumers (prosumer = point and shoot cameras that are larger, but not that large, and not dslr either).. so if you are really, really into landscapes, you might consider other cameras with a wider wide end..

I've searched on internet about the specification of fuji S5700, and found this url Fujifilm FinePix S5700.

I've found
Zoom wide (W): 38 mm
Zoom tele (T): 380 mm

Now please tell me if it is good for Landscape or not ?

Thanks for suggesting me this thing, Is there any other camera available with better features but in same range (130-150 pounds). I think, I did not find any other camera like S5700 in this budget and regarding features. If anybody knows then please suggest me.

I am in love with this camera because it's Format is "SLR-Like". I think this will help me in learning photography and will help me to adjust myself in professional SLR cameras.

thanks!

PS: Please tell me, Will the prices of cameras "decrease" in December due to Christmas or not ?

only the image matters

if the camera takes nice pictures then it is a good camera

agree! i even have a olympus fe-160 pns camera which has lasted me for 1.5 years le:Dit really doesnt have to matter about the brand

hi and thanks all,

can anybody answer post # 12 in this thread?

I really want to know if a

will work for landscape or not ?

and obviously I want other questions to be answered as well, so please have a look at post # 12.

thanks in advance :)

hi and thanks all,

can anybody answer post # 12 in this thread?

I really want to know if a

will work for landscape or not ?

and obviously I want other questions to be answered as well, so please have a look at post # 12.

thanks in advance :)

Can you do some of your own research? This is discussed extensively in many online review sites. Basically, OF COURSE 38mm is enough for landscapes, but a 28mm lens would get an even wider shot. All depends on your landscape photography needs.

Please don't go around demanding that people answer your questions if they are the things that are very easy to discover with google.

You've been given all the advice you need to make your choice. Don't expect to be spoonfed, follow the advice given to you.

Also, members on this forum are 95% based in Singapore, so telling you which UK site or which UK dealer to go to is not going to get too many replies.

PS: Please tell me, Will the prices of cameras "decrease" in December due to Christmas or not ?

We're not psychic. This all depends on the individual shops.

i-will-use-google-b4-dump-question-bart.png

Status
Not open for further replies.