Does anyone use manual SLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rostov

Hi,

Does anyone use a manual SLR here? I'm a newbie, given 2 manual SLR -- Minolta SR-T505 303b (28, 45, 100, 70-210) and Chinon CM-5 (35-80), and was wondering if anyone would care to exchange notes when I try to put up my pics in the pic forums.

Thanks.

Originally posted by rostov
Hi,

Does anyone use a manual SLR here? I'm a newbie, given 2 manual SLR -- Minolta SR-T505 303b (28, 45, 100, 70-210) and Chinon CM-5 (35-80), and was wondering if anyone would care to exchange notes when I try to put up my pics in the pic forums.

Thanks.

Yup, sbs99 uses manual SLR.

;)

I use a fully manual FM2N. What specifically are you interested to know?

Hi blazer (and guys),

I'm trying to soak up methods of street/candid photography (read some of the threads here on and off site). The problem is this : manual lenses have a slight problem -- they seem to be too big for the job -- people RUN when they see it. My 70-210mm, when compared to most AF lenses, zoom much less for its physical size (zoom less, big size; AF = zoom more, small size *sigh*)

I'll try my 28mm for such shots tomorrow onwards, but meanwhile I'd like to find out how manual users overcome this, as it may seem manual photographers have it harder for people shots.

Off topic : I'll be damned if we need a hide LOL.

Hi,

Actually, the idea of street photography is to be "in" the action as opposed to "sniping" from a distance with a telephoto (e.g. 70-210mm). In the former, you are a participant in the event, in the latter, you are merely an observer.

For this reason, some street photographers does not believe in using anything above 50mm, preferring to stick to fast primes such as 20mm. Such lenses are relatively small. :)

The Sigma 20mm f1.8 is the only exception. It's relatively BIG. :p

Regards
CK

Hi Rostov,

I agree with ckiang. For street photography, you need to be "in" the action, not far away with a telephoto.

Although I haven't really done street photography before, I think you should be using a short lens, maybe something less than 50mm. Using a wide angle, you can even shoot in the general direction that you want, then later crop your photo to isolate scenes you deem suitable.

I do agree that people are intimidated by big cameras with big lens. It's like you're pointing a gun at them. The reaction is the same, be it a stranger or your family members.

Me Me ME!!! Nikon FE-10...and am damn proud of my camera! Rugged...scratches, stains dirt u name it. But still able to shoot the hell yah!
Haaaa

Street shots...best is 35mm and below......sniping from far doesnt count! LoL (unless u wan to show shallow dof. Err...am i right? LoL)
:D

Got lens to share? LOL

Yeah yeah, I would like a lens as well if you've got one to share!

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

... Thanks for the pointers for street-photography. But the most amazing is I didn't expect many manual cam users these days.

I have another question -- How can I take night shots? Other than pure experimentation (I took 11, 5 came out ok, of which only 2 are presentable), how can the correct shutterspeed (aperture oso?) be determined per subject?

Do we have to buy a light meter for it?

TIA!

don't think i have any lense worthy of sharing......

nikkor 50mm F1.8
nikkor 28-85mm F cannot remember
nikkor 70-210mm F cannot remember also
tamron 28-200 F3.8-4.5
sigma 400mm F5.6

these are basically the lense i use with my FM2 and F801. :)

Originally posted by rostov
... Thanks for the pointers for street-photography. But the most amazing is I didn't expect many manual cam users these days.

I have another question -- How can I take night shots? Other than pure experimentation (I took 11, 5 came out ok, of which only 2 are presentable), how can the correct shutterspeed (aperture oso?) be determined per subject?

Do we have to buy a light meter for it?

TIA!

i'm sure most cameras have a built in light meter. be it the simple one like the FM2 or a more sophisticated one like the FE2 or F3. just follow it and after a while, you'll know what to use under what circumstances. :)

I definitely still depend on the in built light meter for nearly all my shots, but the problem comes with night photography *sigh*. How to decide 10, 12, 15, 20 seconds?

I don't really know. Is there other ways except pure experimentation (thus a little wasteful on the negatives?)

which manual camera allows such long timed exposures other than B mode?

i guess this is up to experimentation. :D

however, i'm wondering if i do the same thing with a DC, that is to say use the same exposure and aperture setting and the picture turns out fine. can i use these settings on a normal film camera and also obtain the same results?

Yes, at similar exposure settings you can use a dig to get a good approximation of how film would react, subject to dynamic range considerations. You need to control your ISO setting/film speed, aperture and of course shutter speed values to be able to compare between the two.

Yar, my manuals must use B mode for night shots. Then no choice hor? I'll train a few rolls on various outdoor night shots for experience.

*sigh*

Off Topic : if anyone were to video cam me manually counting off seconds in B mode with one finger on the manual cam, they would see a monkey clinging tightly unto anything (railing, tree branch) ... just to avoid finger shake.

Originally posted by sbs99
Me Me ME!!! Nikon FE-10...and am damn proud of my camera! Rugged...scratches, stains dirt u name it. But still able to shoot the hell yah!
Haaaa

Got lens to share? LOL

Hee... why is there a strange sense of pride owning a manual cam?

My dad, in his years of bringing me up, ever let me bring the F2 and FM2 when "training" me. It's just so......orgazzzz taking each shot, hearing the shutter, and the manual wind.

I play too much CS lol.

But seriously, although I know there is nothing a manual cam and auto cam can diff each other, I find much relief in finding fellow photographers taking regular shots with manual cams.

Hail.

sbs99 : Er.... I dunno if you're doing it, but in case not -- you know you can clean your dirty camera pretty well right? I've seen the following used by my dad :

1) autosol for metalic parts
2) surgical alcohol for non-metalics.

Status
Not open for further replies.