Does anybody using ONLY Prime lens in the wedding events?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andi1704

Oct 10, 2003
Hi, would like to see your opinion about using ONLY prime lens in wedding events? any comments to share? is using zoom is more flexible?

thanks for your time

how many camera bodies do you have ?

i use primes even if i only have one body.

hi, i used to carry an arsenal of lenses when i photographed weddings, but with a change in style i found myself sticking to a single zoom lens. And even then most of the good photos were at the wide end (17mm - 19mm). You can see examples of my shots at http://photo.hurricadia.com :)

So i think it's really down to style. If you do tend to shoot lots of closeups at weddings you;ll need some quick flexibility as people are always asking for group shots or something that needs a wide angle.

andi1704 said:
Hi, would like to see your opinion about using ONLY prime lens in wedding events? any comments to share? is using zoom is more flexible?

thanks for your time

I do, I have shot wedding events using only 1 20mm lens throughout the whole day.

In a wedding, there will be lots of people. Not all the time, you are able to move far or near enough for that perfect frame. Most of the time, its fast paced. No time to fumble with changing lenses. Planning is key. By looking at the schedule and location, you know you can afford to use your prime lens.

If you must, carry 2 cam bodies and favorably studio lights unless you have your flash attached at all times, even outdoors (just in case).

Wedding pictures means a lot to the client. For most people its once in a lifetime so we cannot afford to miss any shot.

IMHO there are mainly 2 lenses that are needed in a wedding shoot, wide and mid tele. So either you are very nimble and change lenses quickly or use 2 cameras.

Cheers

Film or digital?

If it is film, I done that many years ago, at that time the Zoom lens was horrible, also can’t afford the 35-70 2.8 during than.

When I switch to AF camera, using 24-85 all the way, with some fisheye lens shots.

My friend shooting wedding with prime lens only, 20mm, 24mm, 35mm, 90mm, 135mm with two F80, but according to him, 24mm used on the most of the shoots, and he switch to digital this year, mixing zoom with prime.

IMHO, for digital, is not advisable to change lens to often, unless you don’t have a dust problem.

I’m talking about only one and pro photographer for wedding, so the setup must be practical and efficient, so using prime only doesn’t imply not workable, it also very much depend on you style.

Hope this help.

heres what i've gotten used to: 2 bodies for full coverage. 16-35 is indispensable. mid zooms like a 24-70 or 28-70 would also see a lot of mileage.

50mm, 85mm, and/or 100mm primes for available light work and also when the pace is slower....shots from these lenses will yield a higher percentage of keepers......

can also consider 100mm, and /or 70-200 for parts of the church ceremony and during the dinner for "sniping"......

100-400 IS for when you are feeling lazy that day....hahahahahaha! :) :) just kidding!

I use 24mm, 50mm and 135mm, for weddings. Of course I need to switch between lenses for different occasions, and I use only 1 cam body. And 1 cam body for stand by. :)

I use the 17-40 almost 60% - 70% of the time... I use the 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 in low light conditions and the 70-200 2.8 for those close up potraiture shots...

In all 4 lens and 2 bodies... =)

after playing a while, i think i found zoom is more usefull, while prime gives you sharper image.

i think i must combine both zoom and prime, depends on the locations.

Status
Not open for further replies.