Does any brands of Lens able to fit into any Canon or Nikon or Any camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

firelord

Jan 9, 2008
Hi
I know that there are many brands of lens available...

however, i do not does all dslr supports all kinds of lenses...

care to share... (i interested to look at Canon and Nikon) would be getting one of them.

pls advice

Hi
I know that there are many brands of lens available...

however, i do not does all dslr supports all kinds of lenses...

care to share... (i interested to look at Canon and Nikon) would be getting one of them.

pls advice

hey there,

not all dSLR support all kinds of lenses... well for canon there are tamron, sigma and tokina lenses and of cos Canon's lense lineup.

Canon has the EF mount
Nikon has the Nikon mount
Sony has its own mount
Olympus etc has the fourthirds mount

Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and a few other brands make lenses that are compatible with Canon and Nikon cameras. Some work better than others, some don't at all. e.g. old Sigmas cannot work with newer Canon cams even though they fit into the mount properly - the electronics are no longer compatible

But you cannot take a Nikon-compatible Tamron and fit it into a Canon camera and vice versa.

Hope you are clear.

different mounts means that you must buy certain brand of lens for certain camera

even if you buy third party,like sigma tamron tokina, as explained above, you cannot fit a lens meant for nikon into canon

there *are* adaptors i think, but it is all very silly to do that since you would end up having to use the lens like a manual one, if i'm not wrong. and this doesn't apply for everything.

Canon has the EF mount
Nikon has the Nikon mount
Sony has its own mount
Olympus etc has the fourthirds mount

Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and a few other brands make lenses that are compatible with Canon and Nikon cameras. Some work better than others, some don't at all. e.g. old Sigmas cannot work with newer Canon cams even though they fit into the mount properly - the electronics are no longer compatible

But you cannot take a Nikon-compatible Tamron and fit it into a Canon camera and vice versa.

Hope you are clear.

Nikon mount is known as the F-mount. Sony uses Alpha mount formerly used by Minolta.

4/3 or Four-thirds mount is a system developed by Kodak and Olympus and adopted by Leica and Panasonic and their lenses are interchangeable though the Mega OIS function in Panasonic/Leica lenses reportedly do not work when these lenses are mounted on Olympus bodies.

Pentax uses K mount which also used to be quite popular.

Status
Not open for further replies.