Does all CCDs has a dead/stuck pixel?

Status
Not open for further replies.

actioneer

Jan 31, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Hi I've just bought a new DC, and change once already because there is a pixel on the captured picture that is always lit up as bright green. Now the changed unit has a pink pixel in another location. The location does not change and is the same across all pictures. The pixel can't be seen during camera test. Should I change the DC again? Or is this normal as the technical manager for the DC (headquarter in Singapore) told me that all CCDs have 1 or a few of these pixels.

Thanks in advance.

not all has it. try to change or do something about it.

btw, what camera are you using?

Originally posted by mpenza
not all has it. try to change or do something about it.

btw, what camera are you using?

Have changed once, this is the second set and still has a hot pixel that either turns pink, gray or other colours at the same location. I can still change for a new one as the technical dept says, but it is very troublesome. Can that pixel heal itself overtime? Should I change for another new one? What can I do about the pixel if I have decided to keep it?

Sorry for the many questions. I'm using the Nikon CoolPix 885. Great in picture, features, and awesome clarity and colour (just tested for sea-side shots). Can't bear to part with this one actually, since the only pixel does turn to merge with the surrounding colours (eg. blue/gray in blue background). Not easy to find in some pictures even unless you know the coordinates).

Thanks in advance.

The Nikon service centre should be able to do something about it. Heard that they "remap" hot pixels to solve the problems.

Ok...let me share something with u.

The 2 weeks old Oly C-2100uz that I have now is a replacement set I got from Oly SG.

The first one was returned due to a 'noisy' IS lens, nothing wrong with it actually, but it kinda irritates me, so off it go!!! ;)

Both sets have hot pixels problem...

The first one has a few really hot ones that shows up in exposure that're below 1 sec...but a quick 1-day tweak in the service centre solved the most of the problems.

The second one has hot pixels that appears at less than 1 sec, a quick 1-day stay in Oly SG solved the problem too.

In both cases, the remaining hot pixels start to get nasty only at 4 sec or beyond....nothing a simple hot pixel eliminator program can't fix though.

Oly most likely map out the problematic pixels and use a interpolation algorithm to 'cover' them.

First off thanks to mpenza and Jayan for taking time to answer my questions. :)

And to both, you are right about the hot-pixel remapping. I remembered that after about 10 minutes wait at Nikon Service Centre and my 1st 885 emerged, the pictures taken thereafter has no stuck-pixel even at 4x zoom at the LCD. They still changed me my existing 885(2nd) however upon my insistence. Now looking at the pictures taken after the remap which they never mentioned to me (if they I would have kept the first one), I realised that it is not even visible at 1:1 (2048x1536), only much further zooming reveals the interpolated trace, which is very faint. Great job actually.:)

Now I will have to give Nikon a call to remap my existing 1 hot 1 semi-hot (not always appear) 885 and all things will be perfect!:bsmilie:

BTW I love the 885! Great form factor, picture sharpness and quality! I can't say enough how impressed I am. Thanks to all for reading and helping.:bsmilie:

Glad u r happy with ur DC...u better map it out ASAP cos it'll be a major pain in the a** since u r now aware of it!!! :D

I still have a bright green hot pixels that appears at 2 sec and beyond (there are a few others but I can live with them).

Maybe I'll pay Oly SG a visit in March to map it out....dowan to go there so often...4 times in 2 weeks...even the counter gal can recognize my mug liao!!! ;)

Originally posted by Jayan
Maybe I'll pay Oly SG a visit in March to map it out....dowan to go there so often...4 times in 2 weeks...even the counter gal can recognize my mug liao!!! ;)
LOL!

Hi Jayan,

How did you map out the problem pixels? What did you use to do that?

Originally posted by fusetrips
Hi Jayan,

How did you map out the problem pixels? What did you use to do that?

Nope, we can't do it ourselves...gotta get Oly SG to do it.

How do you tell them? You showed it to them? How?:dunno:

How do you tell them? You showed it to them? How?:dunno:

First take a black frame at 0.25, 0.5, 1, 2, 3.2, 4, 5, 6 and 8 sec, anything more than that will be subjected to a hell lot of noise, so don't bother.

Spot the hot pixels in all the pix...there'll be a few that stuck out like a sore thumb no matter at what shutter speed. Print out a copy of the pix and circle those 'defects'.

Bring down and show Oly SG....they should be mapping these out. When u got back ur DC, do another test to see if those u circled are still there or not.

Thank you very much for the prompt reply
How much will that cost? FOC?
How long will that take? A day? Alamak.. I have 2 prominent pixels that can been seen even from the LCD screen sigh...:cry:

Thank you very much for the prompt reply
How much will that cost? FOC?
How long will that take? A day? Alamak.. I have 2 prominent pixels that can been seen even from the LCD screen sigh...:cry:

It's FOC as long as ur warranty is still valid...will take 1 working day.

Hot pixels, like Death and Taxes, is a part in (digital camera) Life...no need to be so upset, just accept as a fact lah!!!

Originally posted by Jayan

It's FOC as long as ur warranty is still valid...will take 1 working day.

Hot pixels, like Death and Taxes, is a part in (digital camera) Life...no need to be so upset, just accept as a fact lah!!!

Will they really remove the pixel or they just use another method to patch it up?

Will they really remove the pixel or they just use another method to patch it up?

Nope..they can't remove a hot pixel...not unless they remove the whole CCD along with it.

What they will do is to disable the hot pixels and use an interpolation algorithm to 'patch' them with normal pixels nearby.

Will that affect the picture quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.