Does a VGA card with 512MB ram helps photo editing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jeff

Apr 27, 2002
www.asianhomebiz.com
found my current VGA expired n thinking of getting a replacement. wonder if there is any significant gain in pic processing time on going from 256MB to 521MB VGA mem.

forgot to add m running on a 24" digital panel

thks

not really speed up, but better graphic cards may allow the adjustment of gamma, RGB and other color-specific parameters.

No! Use the money to buy loads of RAM instead. :)

user12343 said:
not really speed up, but better graphic cards may allow the adjustment of gamma, RGB and other color-specific parameters.

errrr... how do these parameters correlate to the vga ram? thought they r software limited??

behyx said:

my basic pc is a 7 yr old amd 1.4GHz with 1.5GB ram. e VGA that I suspected conked is a 9700 Pro from ATI. now that conroe is out, i just itch to overhaul everything since prices and performance goes reciprocal.

thought a Conroe 1.83/2-4GB ram/256VGA ATI card will do just fine. seriously, my old system can still edit on the fly but w/o graphic acceleration cause broken. i need a pc for my PS-CS2 else will go to waste. part of my workflow is also CS2 governed cause there are still some aspects that cannot be tuned using lightroom on a mac.

behyx said:
I second of that.

IMHO, Photo editing need huge memory to avoid disk swap action (which is slowing down the PC).

IIRC, using big memory VGA card only help if you play a game which is need VGA card memory to keep the texture.

Regards,
Arto.

thks for ur feedback. guess i'll hold my cash first and make do with my mac for the time being. wait for the conroe prices to tumble a bit n e memory to plunge further (8GB:p)

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.