Does a Masters degree help in today's career progression?

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me I will do a master just for the fun of it. :) May be a PHD for more fun! Nothing to do with job and pay. Just study what I like and enjoy what I study!

There is also the issue of supply and demand. If one day all the foreign construction workers somehow disparate, and Singapore cannot find any replacement source of supply from overseas.. Compound that with the fact that locals will not be likely to want to take up menial jobs.. You bet the pay might rise to attract them to do it!

Of course that's a very, very hypothetical situation with many ifs.

But I hope you understand that pay is already a very iffy issue, since there are many many factors that go into renumeration, and even then, sometimes companies use their own logic to pay people. Along with the industry. It actually depends on how much oppression workers can take sometimes.

I'd better get out of here before our self-proclaimed master expert of Economics who thinks that pay is based on a few factors comes in and posts stuff since we've clashed on such issues before. (I shall not name anyone! :bsmilie: )

;p Uppzz to your arguement...nah not going into this discussion further :)

One question, does Sg plumbers get paid a lot? how much is their pay?

I heard that plumbers from overseas (Australia and North America) get paid a lot even though they only got high school diploma and training certificate for plumber.

Yah... but they charge a lot for plumbing services in the States also.
Crap, I just paid 70 bucks the day before to a plumber for a easily 10 ~ 20 bucks job. Not that I don't want to do it but the pipe burst and the plumber simply "extorts" from my grandma since I'm not around in SG.

Back to the subject. Cannot do a real comparison coz u are allowed to do all your works urself in the States or Aust. (Not referring to just plumbing, but like electrical or renovation.) Don't need licensed electrician or contractor. So all these "home" works are considered a luxury if you get someone to do it.

I would find the Aussie "lollipop" man earns the most for his / her job.
(The person who switches the stop sign).

For me I will do a master just for the fun of it. :) May be a PHD for more fun! Nothing to do with job and pay. Just study what I like and enjoy what I study!

Our professor told us hor.
First degree is for Tan Chiak.
Master is for Shoot Hong Tao.
PhD is for becoming minister one.

:)

I'd better get out of here before our self-proclaimed master expert of Economics who thinks that pay is based on a few factors comes in and posts stuff since we've clashed on such issues before. (I shall not name anyone! :bsmilie: )

Like dat you also si beh too lan? :)

Like dat you also si beh too lan? :)

=(

When people can tell me that the theoretical (yes, it's theoretical, economics as a subject is after all theoretical) understanding that I have of economics garnered from my own self-study of university level books..

Not du lan la.. Have to suck thumb. What to do, they proclaim themselves to be econs uni grad, and pull age on me. I young punk leh!

Why? Your prof is a minister ah? If not tell him to shut his mouth :) and stop misinforming people :bsmilie:

then poly people eat grass ah? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

then poly people eat grass ah? :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

the thing is that grass is abundant, so the survival is easier too.

Actually, whether a Masters Degree helps depends on the job requirement (whatever profession and company it is). Go through The Straits Times' Exec Appointments page, and some job posting websites like JobStreet, Monsters and JobsDB, and do a search in your 'ideal' job, ie. Research Assistant, HR Manager, IT Manager etc... From there, you'll be able to see what's the educational requirement of the employers.

Wahhh... you print money or someone print money for you to spend? Either that or your mum or dad opened a University.

I would love to do Masters or pHD for fun too... But education is freaking expensive lor... esp. if overseas!!! :eek:

Wahhh... you print money or someone print money for you to spend? Either that or your mum or dad opened a University.

I would love to do Masters or pHD for fun too... But education is freaking expensive lor... esp. if overseas!!! :eek:

hehe..take for fun dun find job is a bit too much. but i think if you take something you like, you career is going to be so much easier wor..

Most of the talk has been on engineering masters so far, here's my take on management masters

MBAs and other management masters generally add another dimension to that engineering or technical degree and/or work experience. It definitely helps in terms of knowledge and it opens much more doors. However, this being singapore, dun expect the phenomenally obsence pay that US top companies are paying unless you're a top B-school grad (read as Harvard, insead etc).

So my 2 cents is that if pay is what you're looking for.. invest in a top b-school MBA (around $100k), find a job as a banker. If career progression in terms of more effective management, then a MBA (from most reputable schools) would be useful. It's only useless if you're taking it for the paper rather than the knowledge

I would'nt employ a master's if a normal degree can do the same job..

I would'nt employ a degree holder if a diploma can do the same job..

I would'nt employ a diploma holder if a O level can do the same job..

I would'nt employ a O level holder is a PSLE can do the same job...

and I would'nt employ a PSLE holder coz he got no Master's degree.

:bsmilie:
and you wun employ me :cry:

Maybe its just in S'pore..... coz i've heard of places where scientists are valued as much as docs, engineers, accountants, lawyers, architects.... (the so called "professionals")

;(
Where? Anyway, most scientist don't do it for the money, at least not outside Singapore. Perhaps in Singapore some do it for the 'status'? I know some examples..... :)

HS

Status
Not open for further replies.