Does 50mm f1.8==50mm f1.4 (stepped up to 1.8)?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very different.

50/1.4 will be quite a bit sharper than 50/1.8 at f/1.8 to f/3.5. The difference is less obvious at smaller aperture. However, the difference in sharpness might not be that obvious if you are not pixel peeping. For me, both are similarly sharp when photos are viewed at the size of my com screen.

50/1.4 is using USM for af. 50/1.8 is not.

The bokeh from the 50/1.8 is actually quite harsh, especially if your bokeh contain grass or flower. Bokeh from 50/1.4 is smoother. Shape of bokeh also different. All this is due to the number of blades being different between the two, or so I read.

U're sure? U want to try my f/1.2 wide open?

I am very happy with the sharpness of my 50 f1.2 wide open but it does not mean it is sharpest at f1.2. I am talking about the ultimate sharpness of a lens.
It is much easier to make sharper lenses if the aperture is smaller. So many times a particular brand's 50 f1.8 is as sharp, or even sharper, then their 50 f1.4. Between a wider aperture lens and a smaller aperture lens, the main differences would be the bokeh, AF speed and build quality. But if these are not critical to you, then a 50 f1.8 might serve you well enough.

Last edited:
I am very happy with the sharpness of my 50 f1.2 wide open but it does not mean it is sharpest at f1.2. I am talking about the ultimate sharpness of a lens.
It is much easier to make sharper lenses if the aperture is smaller. So many times a particular brand's 50 f1.8 is as sharp, or even sharper, then their 50 f1.4. Between a wider aperture lens and a smaller aperture lens, the main differences would be the bokeh, AF speed and build quality. But if these are not critical to you, then a 50 f1.8 might serve you well enough.

There's no such thing as the sweet-spot in these lenses wide open, unless u've a f/5.6 or f/8 lens.

I used to own the f/1.8 II but upgraded to f/1.2 cos everything else is better.

I do not have any technical data to support my claims, but from experience you really get what you pay for. I started with 50mmf1.8 and it was really good. But when I ditched it to get the 50mmf1.4, and wow, the quality is just Impressive; it's worth every cent. The faster AF and USM are really great. And I shoot mostly on f1.8 on 50mmf1.4!

Go get it. What are you waiting for?

Status
Not open for further replies.