dodging and burning in photoshop cs4

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellfire88

Aug 26, 2009
hi guys, any good tutorial to learn more about dodging and burning for cs4?

did a search in the forums but could find much.

i would like to learn for both for colour and b/w.

thanks!

dodging and burning directly is destructive because what you're doing is unnaturally pushing pixels. try masking/adjustment layers. They are far less destructive.

create a new layer
fill with 50% grey

use a brush set to 20% flow
opacity from 0-20% (to your needs)

set your foreground color to black and white
use white to dodge / black to burn
press x to toggle btw black and white

vary the new layer opacity to your liking
apply gaussian blur to the layer if u want to soften somemore

tablet is highly recommended

create a new layer
fill with 50% grey

vary the new layer opacity to your liking
apply gaussian blur to the layer if u want to soften somemore

tablet is highly recommended

I think you missed a step. An important one.

So why don't you add it in?

Because I'm not in favor of blindly following recipes. This is a visual medium, not a verbal medium. Follow his steps and try to see what he omitted.
If you can't see it, you might as well be a robot or a chimpanzee following instructions.

Because I'm not in favor of blindly following recipes. This is a visual medium, not a verbal medium. Follow his steps and try to see what he omitted.
If you can't see it, you might as well be a robot or a chimpanzee following instructions.

It's ok if you decided not to help. There is no need to resort to name calling like "robot or chimpanzee".

It's ok if you decided not to help. There is no need to resort to name calling like "robot or chimpanzee".

I didn't mean that as name-calling. I didn't call anyone a robot or a chimpanzee. My point is that if you can't SEE the problem, you might as well not have eyes. It's a visual medium. You can't do retouching by blindly following verbal recipes.

And I didn't "decide not to help." I am offering what I think is helpful: namely, the advice to try using your eyes instead of following a set of instructions. If you don't find that helpful, so be it.

imagine someone never fried an egg b4

and someone wrote steps about frying an egg.
he missed out step putting salt and pepper.

who would have know the results is different?

imagine someone never fried an egg b4

and someone wrote steps about frying an egg.
he missed out step putting salt and pepper.

who would have know the results is different?

The post that you folks find so disturbing was directed to soeypixels. I said I think that HE missed an important step. Which, in fact, he did.

His error wasn't on the order of forgetting salt and pepper. Have you actually tried following his instructions? If not, try that first.

And I didn't "decide not to help." I am offering what I think is helpful: namely, the advice to try using your eyes instead of following a set of instructions. If you don't find that helpful, so be it.

I'm sure you are very helpful according to your context. The thread starter will be able to dodge and burn by merely using his eyes.

I'm sure you are very helpful according to your context. The thread starter will be able to dodge and burn by merely using his eyes.

And you think he'll be able to dodge and burn by merely reading a recipe? :bsmilie:

(Notice that not a single image has yet appeared.)

seeing points from both sides, I think I need to clear the misunderstanding.

I believe what Peano merely means is that there is no 1-way of doing such things. By eyes, he means being able to see what's wrong. It is something that is not quantifiable, but a skill that has to be developed over time.

soeypixels' method isn't the only way. It works and doesn't work depending on what you're dealing with.

This question is as complex as asking which camera lens should I buy. Or what camera settings should I use. It's not a question that can be answered in a single sentence. Even whatever solution that Peano offers, there will definitely be situations where it is not applicable.

I think you missed a step. An important one.

For the benefit of those who visit this forum to learn, I would've just typed "you missed out the step of setting the layer mode to Soft Light as well" instead of having everyone 2nd guess what your statement meant.

But then that's just me :)

Last edited:
i'm a robot-chimpanzee.

create a new layer
fill with 50% grey

<--------Set the blend mode to ovelay

You can download ps action paint with light from

http://www.atncentral.com/image_enhance.htm

All the best

:)

thanks guys for all the help here. really appreciate the help here.

just got my cs4 recently and still trying out how to do it. cs4 operation can really be confusing for me as it is my first time trying to do post process work on cs4. much used to the user friendly workflow of lightroom. :embrass:

still trying out on how to dodge and burn(not easy i must admit! got stuck a lot of time)

the reason i ask about dodge and burning is that in film processing dodging and burning is considered as the most basic and essential tool(been reading old library books) so i wanted to based my post process on dodging and burning.

once again please do not hesitate post any more useful tutorial/videos with regards to dodging and burning.

many thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.